Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Still in Use- Kitchen equipment handed down

(29 Posts)
Pippa000 Tue 02-Jun-15 12:00:02

I was just slicing the left over beef joint to freeze when it dawned on me that the Sunbeam Food slicer is one my mother had in the 60's and although not often used by me is still going strong. I also have several of her very large saucepans ( for benevolent soup I think) and a bread knife from the 50's!!

granjura Wed 03-Jun-15 12:25:09

in which case I'd sell them myself and go on hols or treat myself with the money... really.

I can't remember the right words, but it struck me when I read it in the wonderful book on an Asperger teenager 'the incident of the dog in the nightime'. He says he knows why old people are grumpy and afraid of dying- it's because they can't stand all they beloved possessions ending up in a skip. Sad, that.

HildaW Wed 03-Jun-15 12:26:21

My MIL's (who I never met - she died long before I was on the scene) pyrex lemon squeezer dating from the 1950s.

I also have an ancient silver ladle found at the back of FIL's kitchen drawer that belonged to his MIL therefore circa 1920s - I started to use it for basting and gravy and found it was just somehow the perfect shape and balance....it just feels good to use.

Sadly I have nothing from my Mum.....dammed father threw it all out!!
I would so liked to have had her old recipe book...I still remember that on page 375 was a recipe for bakewell tart that used stale cake crumbs in place of some of the ground almonds.

janerowena Wed 03-Jun-15 12:43:18

I forgot the cookery books - I have my grandmother's ancient Mrs. Beeton, it is vast, from the early 1930s when she married. I love all the notes next to recipes in her writing.

granjura he sold off everything before anyone in the family knew he was going to do it. MiL and FiL had a huge row with FiL's two brothers some years back because they sold all of great-FiL's stuff off without letting anyone know. They came to me for sympathy, I couldn't believe it! I said why didn't they ask anyone, they said they left messages to say that the flat needed sorting out but it was 'a few days' before anyone replied to say they could come to help, by which time the deed was done... I know MiL, she is a vulture when it comes to sorting through possessions. I had first hand experience when DBH's beloved great aunt died. I was invited to go along to choose some things, by the time we got there at 11am she had been there for three hours and almost everything was packed up and ready to go!

I digress... grin

I have a lovely little egg holder of my GP's too, one that is a little wooden shelf for the wall. I use it to hold ceramic eggs. I have floral salt and pepper pots, too, very pretty.