Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Books on weaning

(12 Posts)
Lys60 Thu 18-Jun-15 19:00:20

Judthepud2 you have confirmed for me that Annabel Karmel is the way to go. Will certainly purchase.

Nelliemoser Thu 18-Jun-15 15:30:21

"until" six months.

Nelliemoser Thu 18-Jun-15 15:28:36

Way too long ago for mine. DD was into "no solids untill six months" and then normal foods mashed down enough not to choke on. sweet potato and avocado were what he tried first.

DD was of the let him just use his fingers first. "Baby led weaning is the term.

I don't know if it was anything to do with the self service approach, but now at 33mnths he likes all sorts of different foods we would never have dreamt of giving to our babies. At 10mths his day care were giving the babies such stuff as lasagne and garlic bread and lentil dals.

He now enjoys the odd olive. It makes him very easy to cater for.

harrigran Thu 18-Jun-15 13:28:06

When DIL asked my advice about a certain book I told her I thought it might be useful if she had a wobbly table leg grin
How we ever managed to raise our children I will never know.

trisher Thu 18-Jun-15 10:17:16

My DIL introduced me to "Baby led weaning" which I had never heard of. I found it a bit daunting at first, especially seeing a baby crunching on a piece of cucumber but it did seem to work. DGD eats anything now.

loopylou Wed 17-Jun-15 21:26:21

All they do is make mums anxious and get the authors rich IMO.

Ana Wed 17-Jun-15 21:20:21

Exactly - as is giving cooled boiled water. Barmy!

loopylou Wed 17-Jun-15 21:17:30

I agree granjura and have said so on similar threads.
DDIL bought a number of 'recommended' books and then used common sense (the books went to the charity shop!)

The fact that 'advice' seems to change nearly weekly means often 'an expert' has decreed something else even before the book is needed.
E.g. Swaddling was 'in' 18 months ago, definitely 'out' now!

Ana Wed 17-Jun-15 21:13:04

Why on earth would you need a book about weaning? confused

granjura Wed 17-Jun-15 21:11:30

How on earth did we survive, without all those books? (so glad I never had one, the conflicting advice would have driven me nuts- sorry).

Judthepud2 Wed 17-Jun-15 20:09:31

Annabel Karmel has been the weaning bible for all 3 of my DDs. She gives a suggested timetable that they found useful, not to be rigid about it but as a guideline. Loads of sensible recipes that I have used myself when in loco parentis!

Lys60 Wed 17-Jun-15 20:04:40

Have been recommended Annabel Karmel's books on weaning. They seem v good on close inspection.

Grans, do you know of any others that you think are good?