Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Hairy arms!

(19 Posts)
tanith Tue 25-Aug-15 16:24:19

i usually moisturise myself when I get out of the shower at home but I'm on holiday with my DD & DGD so have scooted out of the bathroom in my towel to let them get on with showering. So I'm sat in my towel on the balcony creaming myself and happen to have my glasses on and OMG! The hair on my forearms has grown thicker and longer a few strands I swear are nearly 2ins long. How did it get so gross and what on earth can I do about it? Thankfully it's still light coloured and not dark or I'd look like a Yeti!

Any one else's arm hair growing with age?

Alea Tue 25-Aug-15 16:33:21

Too much spinach?

rosesarered Tue 25-Aug-15 17:27:25

Nope, hardly any at all, but Tanith if it is light coloured, just forget about it.It's probably just the cream you put on that made it look darker and longer.

rosesarered Tue 25-Aug-15 17:28:03

Probably just the cream.

rosesarered Tue 25-Aug-15 17:29:12

If it bothers you though, buy some Veet?

Ana Tue 25-Aug-15 17:34:44

Does spinach give you hairy arms? confused

I did have a friend who used to shave her arms, but the hairs were very dark. tanith are you sure some are 2" long? That does seem rather extreme!

But yes, Immac or Veet if it bothers you.

rosesarered Tue 25-Aug-15 17:37:52

Think Popeye Ana!

Ana Tue 25-Aug-15 17:39:54

I was doing, but it just gave him huge muscles, didn't it?

I don't remember his arms suddenly sprouting inches of hair...

Ana Tue 25-Aug-15 18:21:48

See!

Anne58 Tue 25-Aug-15 18:53:55

A work colleague had very hairy forearms, it bothered her so she used to get them waxed. (Still does, I believe)

shysal Tue 25-Aug-15 19:13:13

I have extremely hairy arms, and dark too, although I can't claim 2inch long except from some moles! I did once shave them as a teenager, but haven't bothered since. I usually tan very easily in the summer, which disguises them a little, but the sun doesn't lighten the colour at all. Unfortunately the problem extends to my legs, nipples, bikini area, chin and top lip too, all of which I pluck or shave. A lot of people seem to become free of hair in these areas as they get older, but mine are getting worse. sad
Tanith, I suggest you never again wear your glasses when creaming your arms!

rosesarered Tue 25-Aug-15 19:48:39

You are dead right Ana, Popeye must use Veet or wax.
Shysal, I expect you have very dark hair which seems to go with arm and leg hair, so at least you have a pretty hair colour.I used to have a Scottish friend with the same problem.

tanith Tue 25-Aug-15 22:45:52

Shysal I am going to take your advice as it seems the least time consuming.
Lol, sorry can't find the right brackets to post a grin on this iPad.

JessM Wed 26-Aug-15 13:33:08

Mine were always quite hairy but now, in my 60s, they are going bald.

claireseptember Wed 26-Aug-15 23:03:53

Like the three little pigs I can swear by the hair on my chinny chin chin..
Arms are OK though.

Eloethan Thu 27-Aug-15 00:39:00

One of my son's former girlfriends used to have very hairy arms - and very dark hair too.

She regularly had them waxed at a beauty salon. What a bother (and an expense).

tanith Thu 27-Aug-15 08:25:07

Why's all I'm going to take your advice

MargaretX Thu 27-Aug-15 10:34:41

You can buy hair lightener at Boots. mix the paste spread the paste over the hairs and wait 10 minutes. Wash off! The hairs are now blonde and don't show up as much. You can cut them back a bit with scissors.
You'll need to do it a couple of times till you get back to wearing long sleeved jumpers or shirts.

MargaretX Thu 27-Aug-15 10:36:29

Sorry you have to look for a special hair lightener not just the sqirt-on blonde for head hair.