Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

dgs long hair

(47 Posts)
Coolgran65 Sun 13-Sep-15 03:06:22

My dgs is 2.
His parents are both professional ph.d aged 40.
Dgs loves to explore on outings and mess in the mud.
He has lovely wavy hair which now reaches to his shoulder blades. An acquaintance seeing his photo commented....she is gorgeous.

DH has been saying to me for some time-- it's time they got his hair cut.
I think it's ok at present but hope it's shortened before schooling.

Ds lives abroad and we'd never make a negative comment to them, keep zipped etc. ......
It is beautiful if somewhat windswept and interesting at times.

Just interested in what others think of a little boy with hair this length.

Coolgran65 Tue 15-Sep-15 00:01:14

We have just spent an hour on Skype with my ds and dgs whose long hair is the subject of the original post.
It is so beautiful.....

Thank you everyone for great comments and the benefit of a broader outlook.

rosesarered Mon 14-Sep-15 22:44:21

Thatbags grinLots of hair on it!

Penstemmon Mon 14-Sep-15 16:38:42

www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/schoolgirl-banned-classes-until-paints-6423048

This appears to be totally ridiculous... would like to hear the school argument!

Elrel Mon 14-Sep-15 16:13:12

Penstemmon: absolutely!

Penstemmon Mon 14-Sep-15 15:54:58

At the school (Junior 7-11) the uniform statement on the website says

Hair Styles Extreme haircuts or styles are not appropriate for school. Please ensure that children have something to tie up long hair.

This of course leaves it open for the Head to decide what he thinks is extreme confused

I have seen uniform rules which state no shaved patterns in the hair etc.

Personally I do not (& did not) worry about hairstyles or about uniform. I am more concerned on how effectively kids are being taught!

Elrel Mon 14-Sep-15 15:12:11

Thatbags: sorry can't access front page from a week or so ago. While looking found an 11 year old in The Manchester area who was sent home for a 'stepped' haircut and having Velcro instead of laces to fasten his school shoes. His mother said he wore the shoes on induction day and she was told that they were acceptable. Also a 13 year old boy in Coventry whose hair was a bit purplish. Head sent him home with hair dye which turned it distinctly red so he was sent home again next day.

thatbags Mon 14-Sep-15 12:46:33

Thanks, elrel. I'm so glad my kids didn't go to schools like that. Mind you, I'd have caused a real stink at any school they did attend for taking it out on a child like that. Exclusion for head decoration (shaved line in short hair) is crazy. They might have a point if it was something like a Nazi symbol, but not otherwise.

roses, what's the opposite of a shaved head? One with hair on it? wink

I think it's sexist to allow girls to have long hair but not boys. A reasonable rule about tying long hair back out of the way (which they should have for PE anyway) is all that's needed.

Elrel Mon 14-Sep-15 12:24:09

Thatbags: each September the Evening Mail puts a similar item on the front page. I'll see if I can access it. This time it was a small boy with neatly barbered hair with lines cut in it. I agree it's Orwellian and a terrible start to the new school year for a child to be turned back on the first day.

rosesarered Mon 14-Sep-15 08:41:19

Thatbags..... Schools can and do impose hair style restrictions.This can mean no shaved heads or the opposite.
my DD's partner has waist length hair, kept in a pony tail. he works in IT and there is a lot of it there, no one ' turns a hair' grin
I prefer boys to have short-ish hair , but that is a personal preference, and hair styles for men have varied hugely over the centuries.

Marmark1 Mon 14-Sep-15 08:31:02

My sons 41 and still has a lovely big mop of long floppy hair.I hate the shaved up styles,they look awful.

thatbags Mon 14-Sep-15 06:04:57

I find it hard to believe that a child can be excluded from school on account of his haircut (a haircut presumably imposed by an adult). If schools can do that and get away with it I despair. Seriously. It's positively Orwellian.

Where have you seen such reports, please, elrel?

Elrel Sun 13-Sep-15 23:17:51

Katek - your 'Dandelion' brother made me smile. My DGS is nearly 5, he's blond with thick straight hair. His mother prefers it long so it's not often cutand a friend's husband said he looked like a mushroom!! We could see his point ...

As usual in September I see in the press boys, including very young ones, being excluded from school for unacceptable haircuts. What are they supposed to do, hasten the growth with lawn fertiliser??
As I said to a friend whose daughter had dyed half her hair green and shaved off the other side, 'It's hair, it'll grow!'

numberplease Sun 13-Sep-15 21:45:44

Neither of our sons has ever had long hair, nor do our 6 grandsons, but I remember when my brother was small, he had the most beautiful golden curls, big and floppy like hair that`s just out of rollers, and it was down to his shoulders by the time he was 3. The crunch came when someone said one day, "Oh, isn`t she beautiful?" The next day my mother took him to the barber`s! Strangely though, his hair never ever curled again.

NanKate Sun 13-Sep-15 21:32:29

It won't let me type v o i l a with an accent on the a. hmm

NanKate Sun 13-Sep-15 21:31:12

I thought I had typed voil??.

NanKate Sun 13-Sep-15 21:30:18

Both my GSs have until recently had straight pudding basin haircuts which looked awful. I couldn't see their eyebrows. For some reason my d in l liked it like that. My son wasn't prepared to rock the boat by insisting on decent haircuts and we just kept schtum, which was very difficult.

A couple of months back the eldest four and a half year asked his dad to take him to have his haircut. Voil?? both boys look great, well done that boy. smile

rosequartz Sun 13-Sep-15 19:30:14

My DGN is nearly 4 and has lovely, long curly hair. Perhaps they will cut it when he goes to school next year, I don't know.

DGS1 had long, blonde waves until a consultant announced that the reason he had a permanent ear infection was the thick hair which didn't allow the air to circulate
shock kitty
DGD has very long thick hair which is usually worn down, although now plaited for school

Penstemmon Sun 13-Sep-15 19:28:17

hairstyles should be gender neutral really!

My DGSs have very different hair DGS1 has thick, coarse fast growing hair (double crown) which is very unruly unless it is quite short. DGS2 has finer curly red hair which he can wear in a longer style and still look 'groomed' (it's not!)

Same with DGDs ..one has fine loose auburn curls which are best kept chin length or else the curls look ratty! DGD2 has straighter hair that is fine to let grow long and put into pony tails/plaits or bunches!

My DD2 hated her wavy hair being brushed so asked to have it cut short when she was about 6. She kept it like that ntil she was about 10 then chose to grow it. DD1 had long ringletty curly auburn hair and wore it long until recently when she has had it cut to between chin/shoulder length.
DH has just had his hair cut (imo too) short! I prefer men /boys to have longer hair.
I have never had (my thick wavy curly) hair longer than shoulder length.

So really length can beabout the hair itself rather than the gender!

kittylester Sun 13-Sep-15 18:52:36

Alternatively,*Ana*, he might have just grown out of it!

Ana Sun 13-Sep-15 18:38:00

(Glad it worked in your DGS's case though kitty smile)

Ana Sun 13-Sep-15 18:37:27

How strange! You'd think a lot more children with long hair (covering their ears, at least) would suffer from permanent ear infections in that case...confused

kittylester Sun 13-Sep-15 18:33:33

DGS1 had long, blonde waves until a consultant announced that the reason he had a permanent ear infection was the thick hair which didn't allow the air to circulate. He refused to consider doing anything else until he had gone 3 months with short hair. We all thought he was being a bit pompous but it worked and DGS has never another ear infection!

Katek Sun 13-Sep-15 17:18:21

I blame the advent of these home hair clippers. Suddenly everyone's a hairdresser and little boys look like prisoners. Horrible look.

Luckygirl Sun 13-Sep-15 17:02:49

I much prefer boys having longer hair - it does not look so severe.

janerowena Sun 13-Sep-15 17:00:08

I have noticed the trend over the past few years, I have several younger friends with boys whose hair makes me long for my scissors, but thinking about it, I also hated the cropped criminal look that was in fashion not so long ago. On balance I prefer the longer hair.

I really think it's a backlash against the shaved heads that made me think of boys with lice, when I was little.