Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

West Midlands

(35 Posts)
NanKate Mon 14-Sep-15 17:30:26

In preparation for when DH asks what I want to do for my 70th in 2016 I have been making a personal list of places I want to go in the UK whilst we are both hail and hearty. We have already organised a Do for the family in the South where we live now.

I originate from Birmingham and thought it would be nice to revisit the Black Country Museum (have been once and loved it), Dudley Zoo and I think there is a steam railway nearby. Maybe the National Trust Back to Back houses too.

I am having trouble finding a nice B & B/Hotel/Farm in the area. I don't mind if we are a bit west of Birmingham. I looked at the Premier Inn in Dudley but the reviews were pretty dire.

Can anyone suggest other places to visit or stay from personal experience?

NanKate Mon 28-Sep-15 20:52:16

I would have been tempted by the Fizz too KatyK. It sounds as if the new station is a success.

Elrel Mon 28-Sep-15 21:43:54

Ironbridge is great - we spent a couple of days there and visited all the museums, had a boat trip on the Severn and tried pork pies from the shop at the end of the bridge. We were there because a GS needed to know about the Industrial Revolution but so enjoyed it we'll certainly return soon.

I'm biased about Brum, there's so much going on here these days and also recommend the Black Country Museum. Loads to see and do in and around Warwick and Stratford too of course. You've had some great suggestions above from other posters. Have a lovely time when you come to the West Midlands!

If you go to Cadbury World don't miss Selly Manor and Minworth Greaves - Tudor buildings on the corner of Bournville Green. As well as the Birmingham Botanical Garden, the University Botanic Garden, Winterbourne, which is quite close, is also well worth a visit.

NanKate Tue 29-Sep-15 06:54:40

Thanks Elrel for the thumbs up for Ironbridge. Did you stay anywhere nice, as that will be my next search project ? The boat trip sounds like our idea of fun too.

DH has told me to go ahead and start booking the list of weekends away I want to do before we are totally passed it !

I absolutely love the Black Country Museum and we could visit again on our way home.

Stratford was my home town for 14 years after I left Brum so I know it well.

Thanks All with your help I feel ready to start planning our trip. flowers

LullyDully Tue 29-Sep-15 13:28:11

A lovely city for a long weekend. Jewellery quarter and the art gallery with a huge collection of Pre Raphaelites. People have misconceptions s about Bermingham. It is a beautiful city in the centre.

SueDoku Tue 29-Sep-15 15:21:39

Kate, the Severn Valley Railway does lovely trips where you can have afternoon tea, an evening meal or Sunday lunch while chugging up and down the beautiful line between Kidderminster and Bridgnorth in renovated dining cars drawn by steam locomotives... Maybe another weekend away..? smile

NanKate Tue 29-Sep-15 17:13:38

Sue that sounds fabulous absolutely love steam trains. I am so pleased I have posted this thread I have had such a great response. We do live in a wonderful country. smile

LullyDully Tue 29-Sep-15 17:15:59

With weather like this Britain is lovely....fab today.

Elrel Tue 29-Sep-15 19:21:35

NanKate - we stayed in a comfortable though fairly standard hotel with a pool and nearby golf course in Telford. We were out all day and I can't remember the name, sorry. Will see whether my daughter knows.
I've looked online and there are plenty of Shropshre farm b&bs, some very near Ironbridge. Church Farm b&b in Kemberton, Shifnal appealed to me and says it's only 10 minutes away but that is only from their website - I'm sure you'll research places yourselves. Have a lovely birthday trip!

NanKate Tue 29-Sep-15 20:49:41

Thanks Elrel we regularly do Farm Stays and always get a warm welcome plus a good breakfast. smile