Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

burnt crispbread = smelly house

(27 Posts)
RevGrandmaEMR Thu 17-Sep-15 16:55:41

Dear gransnetters, please help me with your wisdom. At lunchtime I found some crispbread which had been in the tin for a while and was slighty non-crunchy, so in a moment of thriftiness, I decided to crisp up a few slices by giving them a short blast in the toaster. Unfortunately I became distracted out of the kitchen into the living room but suddenly remembered my "cooking". DH was making his lunchtime snack with his back to the toaster, smoke coming out of toaster bigtime, smoke filling the upper half of the kitchen! shock Burnt crispbread out the window, followed by toaster (received by DH who had opened the back door.) It was so interesting to see the way the smoke went out of the patio doors once we opened them. As a scientific learning point it was very effective. However, fan still on in kitchen, windows still open nearly 4 hours later, yankee candle burning away merrily and everything is kippered. blush There's a working smoke alarm in the hallway, but I will buy one to be installed in the kitchen asap. On the same shopping trip I will be looking for industrial strength febreze to spray curtains and upholstery. I would love to have any other tips for getting rid of the guff. Thanks for reading!

Kayteeb53 Sat 19-Sep-15 10:44:04

Like the idea of that Eccentric, will give that a go

eccentric Sat 19-Sep-15 10:26:18

I put a few drops of essential oil, favourite being Jasmine, on some cotton wool ,then wipe tops of radiators and even light bulb. Lovley.

annsixty Sat 19-Sep-15 10:12:28

Lakeland still sold the candles on my recent visit and they do not really smell of anything in particular, just a "candle smell".

Victoria08 Sat 19-Sep-15 09:59:57

My partner loves deep fried chips, so we have them once a week.
However, I don't like the greasy pong they leave behind after.

Do Lakeland still sell the cooks candle.
Or any tips for getting rid of or masking chip fat smells.

rosesarered Fri 18-Sep-15 20:32:34

Always meant to try the Cooks Candle, is it lemony?

grandMattie Fri 18-Sep-15 16:06:06

A bit late - but for future accidents and fish smells, Lakeland do something called a "cook's candle" which is pretty effective.

RevGrandmaEMR Fri 18-Sep-15 14:14:54

Dear Gransnetters, Thank you so much for the warm welcome to forums! I'm loving this conversation, and all the great tips. It's a lovely day here so windows wide once more, and I think that will be the best pong dispersal solution. Of course, all the cabinets and worktops needed to be cleaned too .....
Happy weekend, everyone! smile

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 18-Sep-15 13:31:58

RevGrandmaEMR sometimes, when doing pre-Chistmas baking, I get too enthusiastic about the hot oven required for puff pastry. It is fascinating to see the smoke pouring out through the extractor fan into the cold outside air. It's a smell I now associate with Christmas.

(sorry to mention the C**** word - twice! shock)

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 18-Sep-15 13:26:49

I bought a summer pudding from a church fete a couple of weeks back. It was so delicious!

Gagagran Fri 18-Sep-15 13:10:23

I make summer pudding in a flat dish and put a layer of Quickjel on top. It is very easy to serve and looks like one I bought years ago in M&S. One of our favourite puds when I can be a**ed to make it! (Don't bother with puds much these days) and I use thick white bread not brioche if I do!

thatbags Fri 18-Sep-15 12:58:33

smile

rosequartz Fri 18-Sep-15 12:58:01

winifred01 you're even posher than me wink

winifred01 Fri 18-Sep-15 12:42:25

Re summerpud. I use an Womans Realm Recipe from decades ago, line loaf tin with trifle sponges sliced through, turns out beautifully and slices . How posh is that!

thatbags Fri 18-Sep-15 12:36:20

I wonder if that would work for black pudding that's been fried too fast. DH is doing himself fried breakfasts at the moment (until earlier this year he never ate breakfast). Usually he remembers to wipe the cooker after himself though I usually have to go over it again effectively. Today I measured the range of the fat splash onto worktops: 130cm [bloodyhell! emoji]

Anyway, the smell of the fried-too-fast food is pretty powerful (not horrible, just powerful) though it fades after a couple of hours especially if I'm in and out the back door a lot, which I usually am.

I don't think I can be arsed with bowls of this n that. #freshairfanatic

rosequartz Fri 18-Sep-15 09:39:05

I may try the lemon oil tip djenI need something to wake me up!

rosequartz Fri 18-Sep-15 09:37:20

thatbags
I had some leftover brioche once, used that and we liked it, so since then .....

I don't add sugar to the fruit unless it is really sharp so it just adds a bit of sweetness.

Oh yes, we are very posh grin

thatbags Fri 18-Sep-15 09:03:50

rq, you bought bread to make summer pudding!? From now on I shal think of you as That Posh Summer Pudding Dude wink

durhamjen Thu 17-Sep-15 20:32:36

Do you have a radiator in the kitchen? If so put a wheatbag on it, or a dish with hot water, and a few drops of lemon aromatherapy oil.
It gets rid of smells and wakes you up at the same time.
Or you could just put the lemon oil in a basin of hot water.

bikergran Thu 17-Sep-15 20:24:55

slice some onions up place around the house on plates etc ..it works for paint smells.

rosequartz Thu 17-Sep-15 19:58:54

DH said 'that new-fangled bread you bought burns very easily in the toaster. I've used nearly the whole loaf trying to get a couple of decent pieces'

'That new-fangled bread' was the brioche I had bought to make a summer pudding.

Tegan Thu 17-Sep-15 19:37:29

Is that like Morris Dancing?

rosesarered Thu 17-Sep-15 18:44:24

We do the daily teatowel dance as well.

rosesarered Thu 17-Sep-15 18:43:45

Welcome to the forum Rev!smile

RevGrandmaEMR Thu 17-Sep-15 17:57:20

Thanks for replying shysal. I know what you mean about the smoke alarm - in our last house it was the daily teatowel dance. But I was concerned when I realised the kitchen would be well alight before the smoke alarm had a whiff of it!

Due to the wonders of the internet I found a few suggestion, and I've just boiled up a handful of cloves in a pan of water for 20 mins and leaving that to sit on the cooker. Eau de cloves trumps burnt toast. smile Other suggestions: boil up some lemon slices; leave some bowls of vinegar, or of baking soda, around the place to absorb the smell. In other words, work with what you have in the cupboards.

That small incident also meant a full change of clothes, shower and shampoo! wink

shysal Thu 17-Sep-15 17:49:41

I wouldn't advise putting a smoke alarm in the kitchen. It will go off every time you open the oven or use the toaster.
When I was first married we didn't have a toaster, so I burnt the toast under the grill almost daily! The house always smelled of it! I can't think of any other strategies to eliminate your problem. Febreze and Yankee candle should do it eventually! Good luck!