Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Induction cookware

(19 Posts)
No1gogo Sun 01-Nov-15 12:42:58

Hi ladies, can anyone advise me on what is a good brand of induction cookware? There are so many brands out there making it very difficult to decide which brand to go for. I have seen lots in the internet but of course seeing and actually handling the cookware are two different things. Help!!

Anya Sun 01-Nov-15 12:45:21

Are you new No1gogo?

Bellanonna Sun 01-Nov-15 12:49:49

I would suggest a trip to your nearest shopping centre and look at the induction cookware first hand. You can also ask advice from an assistant.
I've no idea what induction cookware is, but best advice is go to someone who sells them. smile

Bellanonna Sun 01-Nov-15 12:51:55

Come back later and tell us how you got on smile

merlotgran Sun 01-Nov-15 13:28:58

There must be quite a few induction hob websites that will advise you.

I fancied one last time we replaced our hob but apparently they send pacemakers doo-lally and DH had an Atrial Fibrillation monitor fitted at the time.

Good job I checked the small print grin

Anya Sun 01-Nov-15 13:37:22

I'm sure someone will post a link to a website soon.

Anya Sun 01-Nov-15 13:38:42

Yea gods Merlot that doesn't bear thinking about shock

Bellanonna Sun 01-Nov-15 13:42:25

Maybe No1gogo will post an interesting website she's found ?

Bellanonna Sun 01-Nov-15 13:43:38

Just off to google induction cookware. I'm not really out of touch, just that my current cookware seems ok

Bellanonna Sun 01-Nov-15 13:47:10

The wiki explanation was a bit scientific for me. Anyway I think the old pots and pants will do for a while longer

Marian1412 Sun 01-Nov-15 13:50:27

I've got a mixture of induction cookware including a Pampered Chef pan with lid that gets used every day.
I suggest you go along to a store with a fridge magnet; if it attracts then it will be suitable. Have found some in Dunelm that have been fine.

Maranta Sun 01-Nov-15 14:07:36

I discovered I had an induction hob on the day I moved in to my new house. Fortunately my set of heavy stainless saucepans (from J L?) were fine but some other favourite ones were not. I bought a small milk pan from Debenhams which I've been very disappointed with; it works but has a slightly uneven base and I have to either hold it in the right position or wait a long time. I was always a gas hob fan but now I prefer the induction one, it's even more easy to control.

No1gogo Sun 01-Nov-15 18:09:16

Thanks for all your replies girls. I live in South Africa and so far I have found only one shop that is selling induction cookware (in my immediate area) looks like I will have to travel a little & go to Durban to check out specialized shops. My daughter in Australia has an induction stove top and induction pans & she LOVES them. However the pans she has are SOOO expensive, no way I can afford those. Keep your fingers crossed for me ladies.

hildajenniJ Sun 01-Nov-15 18:16:48

I bought a new set of pans recently. I got them from Tesco. I love my induction hob, I am on my second one. These are my pans, I think Tesco still stock them, they were reasonably priced too.

Greyduster Sun 01-Nov-15 20:36:54

Stellar do good induction pans, but honestly, I got mine from Sainsburys and they are excellent and certainly not as expensive as Stellar. They have a good range too. When I got my hob, I was given a free set of three German induction pans, two of which are quite useful, but the other one is big enough to boil a missionary in and therefore not very practical! The only thing I've come unstuck with was buying a ceramic omelette pan (we eat a lot of ceramic omelettes!) which I was assured was induction compatible. Well, it is, but it will only work on one of the rings!

No1gogo Mon 02-Nov-15 10:21:58

Thanks hildajenni & Greyduster, I wish I could just pop into Tesco or Sainsbury's but that's one hellova drive from Amanzimtoti, Durban, South Africa, boohoo. I think I will have to bite the bullet and buy on the internet. I've narrowed my search to a couple a brands, Duxtop and Baccarat, their prices aren't too bad & both have good reviews. Thanks again. xx karen

Liaise Mon 02-Nov-15 14:17:26

I use le creuset stainless steel saucepans. A set of three from an outlet shop. Also my old cast iron ones are very good.

No1gogo Wed 04-Nov-15 10:49:23

I had a huge cast iron frying pan, weighed a ton so passed it onto my daughter, I could kick myself now because when she left South Africa she gave it away. I have seen Le Creuset on line, they look lovely but expensive here in SA but I guess you get what you pay for. Thanks Liaise, throw you set my way. (smile)

Greyduster Wed 04-Nov-15 11:20:12

I was relieved to find that my stainless steel pressure cooker and my st st stockpot still work on the induction hob. All my other stainless steel pans, which had years of use left in them, had to go. I think they have copper incorporated into their bases. I took them all to a charity shop who said they doubted they would still be there by the weekend - they do a roaring trade in saucepans! Students, I suppose.