Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Wool remnants

(15 Posts)
Liz46 Sun 17-Jan-16 18:26:45

I have been making twiddle mitts for people with dementia. Also our knitting group made 100 hats for local homeless people. We also made scarves and gloves. It is a good way of using up oddments of wool.

Jalima Sun 17-Jan-16 18:03:25

I have bought those for my DGC until I started knitting again. Hospitals are always glad of tiny clothes for premmie babies too, you can find out online what is needed in your area.

mrsmopp Sun 17-Jan-16 17:24:22

Our local maternity hospital welcomes hand knitted baby clothes and blankets. There is a little shop by the visitors cafe and people buy thise items as a gift when visiting a new mum and her baby. Of course the mums buy them too. There are lots of volunteers making things as baby clothes are small and quick to make. People also donate unwanted wool freely, for the knitters to collect. Its a good scheme and the hospital shop does well out of it.

Jalima Sat 16-Jan-16 18:22:59

Thank you for those links Nelliemoser
I had no idea about twiddle muffs, although I have used Blacksheep Wools and they are a good firm to deal with.

Nelliemoser Sat 16-Jan-16 10:23:18

Knitters with wool remnants see these.

www.blacksheepwools.com/blog/2015/08/14/twiddle-muffs-dementia-patients/

www.knittingparadise.com/t-351028-1.html

www.boltonft.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Twiddle-Muffs-Instruction-Sheet.pdf

They are beautiful .

Worlass Sat 16-Jan-16 10:20:22

When my DGS was a toddler ( he is now 23) I used up all the scraps of wool I had to knit him a jacket. This was universally known as 'Joseph's Coat', for obvious reasons.

moybenmar Sat 16-Jan-16 10:15:32

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will mention your ideas to our local knit and natter club next week. In the meantime I am crocheting squares with ideas of making a scarf or maybe even a small blanket. Who knows what the finished article will be. Thanks again.

moybenmar Sat 16-Jan-16 10:15:31

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will mention your ideas to our local knit and natter club next week. In the meantime I am crocheting squares with ideas of making a scarf or maybe even a small blanket. Who knows what the finished article will be. Thanks again.

Atrig Tue 12-Jan-16 21:51:11

Our local Knit and Natter group goes into care homes in the area to work with the residents. We are always on the look out for wool. Perhaps there is something like that near you. You could advertise it on such as Streetlife or ask local churches

ginny Tue 12-Jan-16 21:47:29

There are many charities needing cardigans , hats, booties, blankets and other items for premature babies. These items only take small punts of wool. Search on line or maybe contact a local hospital or knitting group.

Jalima Tue 12-Jan-16 21:25:51

A charity shop may be a good idea as people like buying up yarn to knit squares or make stuffed toys or items for craft stalls.

Some people knit bags and put a bar of soap in them (you could make gifts, or donate them to charity craft sales) - I have never done that but I think you use the soap in the bag and it scrubs and exfoliates the skin in the shower!
www.allfreeknitting.com/Knit-Gifts/Three-Sisters-Soap-Sacks
or uk.pinterest.com/robinnstokes/bath-mittsoap-sack/

etheltbags1 Tue 12-Jan-16 21:24:18

you could make toys for charity sales or for grandchildren. I too have lots of wool and if I have three of four hundred grams of the same dye, I will make a jumper/cardi putting another colour through it.
Have a look at the new knitting mags out in the shops now, they all have inspirational patterns for bags, hats, gloves belts etc that could use up those spare balls.

moybenmar Tue 12-Jan-16 21:16:41

I have a drawerful of varying sized balls of wool, different colours and not all double knit. Don't really want to just crochet squares though. Could just take them to a charity shop I suppose. I used to take them to a local school for the children's knitting club but unfortunately that is no longer going. Any suggestions anyone?