Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Too cold for shorts ?

(61 Posts)
NanaandGrampy Tue 19-Jan-16 17:14:40

Just had DD1 on the phone . Her little son aged 6 has come home from school and said one of the teachers asked him if Mummy MADE him wear shorts to school !

I should explain . He has a choice of trousers to wear to school but prefers his shorts - always has. He's a hardy little chap, wears his big coat, gloves and scarf and hat but prefers his shorts. He says he's just not cold. He has no walk to school, he goes by car so he's only outside at playtime where he is on the go permanently.

His mum was the same as a child and even now is never cold.

As this was not the first comment made my teachers my daughter phoned the school to arrange to come in and defend his choice of clothing only to be told by the receptionist that she was a bad mother not to force him to wear long trousers.

I'm stunned !!

He's a much loved little tearaway. I've seen him swimming in April in the sea before now. Given the choice he will be outside in all weathers rather than indoors. He's well fed, clean, cared for, indulged to within an inch of his life and yet of all the children in the school apparently my daughter is a bad mother. I don't think hes had a day off sick in his life so far .

What do you think? Force him to conform and wear long trousers or trust him to have some judgement in whether he is feeling cold or not. My daughter has encouraged both her children to take some responsibility for their choices etc since they were very small and feels this is one he is capable of making . If she felt he was in any danger she would obviously intervene.

Is this the Nanny state interfering or is he in imminent danger?

Jane10 Sat 11-Jun-16 15:57:29

Reported

BSBB Sat 11-Jun-16 15:48:40

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

NanaandGrampy Wed 20-Jan-16 22:46:00

I feel his pain Judthepud2 smile i think DGS school will now at least be offering the option to wear shorts all year if his heart desires...which I am sure he will !

Judthepud2 Wed 20-Jan-16 22:07:38

Glad to hear that is all sensibly resolved. My DGSs go to a school where wearing shorts is obligatory all year round. DGS2 claims this is discrimination as the girls are allowed to wear tights in the winter. He pulls his long grey socks up over his knees to keep warm grin

NanaandGrampy Wed 20-Jan-16 16:53:32

All resolved ladies .

My DD had a meeting with the Headteacher this afternoon. School Policy has been amended with immediate effect to specifically state shorts are suitable for both boys and girls ( can't discriminate !) during winter months as well as summer months if the child wants to wear them.

The rider was that commonsense be used and if a child is plainly cold then a note will go home to the Mum explaining this and then suitable action should be taken. For children with soup for blood like my DGS shorts are fine.

She also said at the staff meeting tomorrow she would draw all staffs attention to the amended policy.

My daughter explained her concern with the receptionist comments which were directly to her, not coming home through the child and the head apologised , and said that she thought it was probably a poorly phrased joke that really shouldn't have happened and she would have a quiet word.

My DD is more than happy with this , she didn't set out to make trouble for anyone just for people to stop making assumptions.

Just as an aside, walking the dog at the weekend he went past the tidal swimming pool ( we live on the coast)where he swims most days in the summer and as he sploshed in the shallows in his wellies( and shorts) i heard his little voice on the wind - it'll be alright to swim soon Nana !!! I think it might be longer than he thinks grin.

Greenfinch Wed 20-Jan-16 14:15:14

On yes. Sorry !

trisher Wed 20-Jan-16 13:24:11

Greenfinch OP said her DD spoke to the receptionist.

LullyDully Wed 20-Jan-16 13:12:39

( I notice someone mentioned liberty bodies.......they must have had such an affect on us as we are frequently on about them.)

Tegan Wed 20-Jan-16 13:11:25

I can't help but feel that the school were genuinely concerned; maybe better that than a school that doesn't even pick up on anything. I feel the cold so much myself that I hate to see children not wrapped up when it's cold, [especially babies without hats].

Greenfinch Wed 20-Jan-16 12:29:30

Did the words of the receptionist come home accurately ? My DD when she was 11 had a hand-knitted jumper while the rest of the students had shop-bought ones .One teacher made a pleasant comment which found its way home as "she said I stuck out like a sore thumb".Get the truth before challenging anyone.

Anya Wed 20-Jan-16 12:28:26

Our postman wears shorts in all weathers perhaps he just wants to show off his lovely legs and he's looking fit grin on it.

Good for your GS. One of my GDs prefers socks to tights so she's bare-legged too and manages all right.

Boo to Bossy Britches receptionists shock

trisher Wed 20-Jan-16 12:11:11

There is still a school round here that insists on shorts, they are allowed long trousers to go in but must remove these in the cloakroom. How many of them put these on at break time isn't known. Not many I bet. As long as he is happy and his legs are Ok (I have seen some awful chapped knees and legs rubbed sore by welly boots) I think it's fine. The receptionist should be made to apologise, she's there to do admin not to criticise parents.

Bagatelle Wed 20-Jan-16 12:00:54

Obviously the manufacturers of children's clothes want them to be in trousers because shorts are not outgrown or ripped to pieces as quickly. We've all been brainwashed!

annodomini Wed 20-Jan-16 11:46:01

Grazes heal; torn trousers don't. When DS1's trousers caught on a nail sticking out from the school building, the wound on his leg healed quickly - though a tetanus shot was needed. The trousers were impossible to mend but I did get compensation from the County Council who admitted liability! I he'd been wearing shorts, they would have been intact.

Granarchist Wed 20-Jan-16 11:37:48

My husband's knees and the craters thereon are a joy to behold (not).

Took DGD to school today and hooray she was wearing hat, furry gilet and tights -

Isn't it odd the way old-fashioned rules on dress have now had a 100% sea change? Shorts used to be mandatory and now forbidden - surely all we need is a hefty dose of common sense?

TriciaF Wed 20-Jan-16 11:24:53

I agree with everyone who says the receptionist was a bit out of line.
And I can remember the shorts, skirts and kneesocks, but also the grazed knees - I've still got some of the scars.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 20-Jan-16 11:24:34

So long as his leggies legs aren't getting chapped.

Nannapat Wed 20-Jan-16 11:20:07

Definitely stick to his "guns". All boys wore shorts until they started secondary school years ago, never did them any harm!

If it is his choice I see no reason why the school should think they know better. I assume this secretary only really intimated that his mother was bad rather than saying that outright, if she did, I would be making a formal complaint.

With outside classrooms these days children should have the choice of free flow play, i.e., they may stay outside virtually the whole time if that is their choice, staff need to set up activities outside every day and be ready for that and dressed appropriately themselves.

NanaandGrampy Wed 20-Jan-16 10:56:51

Thank you to all for your reassuring responses.

Just to add there is no school dress policy except for it to be in the school colours and that shorts /long trousers for boys, skirts, trousers or dresses for girls. So he's well within policy ( especially as he wore similar shorts all summer smile.

To answer Jingl they are knee length shorts ( I would call them Bermuda length) and sorry no long socks but pulled up ordinary socks( which makes me think Brit abroad grin) So Im guessing theres about a 6 inch gap between sock and short.

I agree they shouldn't always get their own way but my advice to my DDs has always been pick your battles because you cant win them all, so does she really want to make the wearing of shorts the battleground?

He's definitely not getting teased , he has a group of little friends who seem to spend their playground time jumping in puddles and doing superhero type activities ! Shorts obviously assist this smile

My DD has arranged an appointment with the HT , to reassure them that he is not abused or neglected and to mention the receptionists comments as that was most distressing to her. It'll be interesting to know the schools point of view first hand .

Nelliemoser Wed 20-Jan-16 10:51:23

As an alternative view back in the mid 70s I was driving to work, it was already a very hot day and therer were some girls in a very posh private school uniform still wearing their blazers and hats on their way to school.
Not acceptable either really.

PPP Wed 20-Jan-16 10:49:39

I read the original headline as 'too OLD for shorts'! Well I definitely am!

Lovely word 'nesh'. I think it's Mancunian?

Bagatelle Wed 20-Jan-16 10:44:13

He should dress as he pleases, within the school's dress code. If he's getting teased by the other children and asks for trousers then he should have them.

Maybe the school has a policy to stop individuality, in which case it's time for a change of school!

Or maybe they just asked him if he was OK, and the receptionist was a bit out of line.

Gaggi3 Wed 20-Jan-16 10:38:48

Unacceptable comment from anyone, let alone the receptionist. My 7-year-old GS doesn't feel the cold and it's impossible to force him into warm clothing. He's healthy so have given up worrying.

Nanaonthego Wed 20-Jan-16 10:38:08

As a retired reception/infant teacher I spent many hours putting on coats doing up zips and buttons, hats,gloves and scarfs. Now I am wondering should I have just let them out to play? However, schools can be cold places! In reception the children are expected (even in coldest weather) to do some learning outside. This means the outside door is often open and the classroom ( well my classroom was cold) is cold. Once a child is cold they take a long time to warm up and are usually very upset. It is not just 15 minutes of playtime it is the hour outside at lunchtime play that is a worry. The children do not run round all the time! Yes some children never feel the cold while others do, if they are not feeling well they will also feel the cold.

The receptionist needs to be spoken to about her attitude and response to parents. She is not the person that should be passing on judgements that she has no knowledge of child/parent/circumstances etc.

When we saw the postman in his shorts we went into dress codes of childhood,remembering chapped knees and thighs.
I was moaning to my husband about the parents that send their young boys to school in the hottest days in long trousers. But perhaps it their choice.
X

Nelliemoser Wed 20-Jan-16 10:25:14

Gillybob Good for that mum. grin
The schools are all geared up to recognise possible child neglect.
The problem is they don't always get it right either way.

vis Daniel Pelka
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-24106823

Where there was a lack of enough good professional nosiness .

Damned if you do damned if you don't get "nosy."