Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Should I talk to DD about her weight or just keep schtum ?

(147 Posts)
suzied Thu 21-Jan-16 08:21:03

Over the last couple of years my youngest DD has put on a considerable amount of weight and this seems to be continuing, she would definitely be classed as obese. I am really concerned about her health and happiness. The question is, should I ask her directly about this along the lines of does she need help, is she happy with her weight, how about dieting etc. I don't want to appear interfering or critical, so should I just take the line that's she's a grown up and it's her life and let her get on with it and keep quiet. She has a pretty tough job and is well regarded at work, has just had a big promotion. She has a (very skinny) long term BF , who is very caring. She was hit very hard by her young cousin's death a couple of years ago as they were very close, which sort of goes along with the extra eating, although she's always been on the chubby side. I don't want to upset her which if I draw attention to her weight I am sure I will, but I sort of think as a mum I should face up to difficult/ sensitive issues in order to support her. What would others do in this situation?

rubylady Tue 26-Jan-16 20:38:02

Iam64 I tell him everything, he's fine with it. We are a very open family. Don't worry. smile

rubylady Tue 26-Jan-16 20:38:51

Now, can you get back to the OP and not my business please. smile

Anya Wed 27-Jan-16 07:36:21

But this is exactly about the OP. Should we tackle someone, in this case a daughter, about their weight! And most of us were very wary because it might just cause a bad reaction ....Q.E.D.

Though I thought you were all for plain speaking and would bring it up with your DD should be need arise.

rubylady Wed 27-Jan-16 07:46:48

Sorry, busy now Anya I'll leave you to argue it out with yourself, I've posted enough on this topic. smile

Anya Wed 27-Jan-16 07:52:04

Quod Erat Demonstrandum grin

rubylady Wed 27-Jan-16 08:37:20

I do know what it means. Amens.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 27-Jan-16 09:27:58

I really don't think anyone would dream of "tackling" their daughter over their weight (quoting Anya)! I would imagine it would be done with somewhat more sensitivity than that! grin

Anya shall we not get over-confrontational on a personal level? confused

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 27-Jan-16 09:29:35

If anyone said "Quod Erat Demonstrandum " to me, I would answer, without the slightest hesitation, "What the Fuck?!" grin

But there again, I'm a pleb. smile

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 27-Jan-16 09:32:18

Look! I can do it in Latin (with the help of Mr Goodgle)

quid irrumabo

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 27-Jan-16 09:32:34

d

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 27-Jan-16 09:33:17

We are all scholars these days, aren't we? smile

Just like we're all doctors.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 27-Jan-16 09:33:36

As you were!

Eloethan Wed 27-Jan-16 09:53:52

I agree with jingle. What exactly is the point of commenting in Latin when it is well known that most people will not understand it?

janeainsworth Wed 27-Jan-16 10:04:31

But many Latin phrases survive in everyday use and it's not necessary to have studied Latin to know what they mean.
IIRC anya was a mathematician in a previous life and so QED would be a normal part of her vocabulary.
I did not star in maths but even I remember that you put QED at the end of a geometry problem you had worked out (or was it algebra confused?)

Pax vobiscum everyone smile

janeainsworth Wed 27-Jan-16 10:07:04

Anyway these days anyone can google to find out what something means if they don't understand it.
I'm always having to resort to the Urban Dictionary to find out what other people mean on their Facebook posts.

Anya Wed 27-Jan-16 10:21:49

You’d probably be surprised by how much Latin you actually already use. Hundreds of words—like memo, alibi, agenda, census, veto, alias, via, alumni, affidavit and versus—are all used in everyday English, as are abbreviations like i.e. (id est, "that is") and etc. (et cetera, "and the rest"). Even some entire Latin phrases have become so naturalized in English that we use them, in full, without a second thought—like bona fide (literally "in good faith"), alter ego ("other self"), persona non grata ("unwelcome person"), vice versa ("position turned"), carpe diem ("seize the day"), cum laude ("with praise"), alma mater ("nourishing mother"), and quid pro quo ("something for something," "this for that").

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 27-Jan-16 13:29:16

There is an old saying I read once, years ago. It goes something like, "If you are the proud owner of a pocket watch, strike it only when asked the time. Not just to show you have one".

Putasne intelligis? (thank you Mr G)

rubylady Wed 27-Jan-16 18:09:52

jing grin grin grin

flowers for you. smile

Anya Thu 28-Jan-16 09:04:25

Truely a meeting of great minds jingl 'n ruby hmm

imagran Wed 03-Feb-16 13:46:12

Protect the positive face. Tell her you think she's beautiful but she could do with losing some weight as it is dangerous, this way she feels valued.

Also just don't feed her- it'll work

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 03-Feb-16 13:47:23

truly