Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Pregnant daughter

(50 Posts)
Julie57 Thu 04-Feb-16 12:13:22

Hi, everyone, just need sum grans thoughts. My youngest daughter has just told me that she is pregnant which we are so delighted about. She us due in September.
Just a month ago My hubby & I booked a holiday of a lifetime to the Caribbean at the same time she is due!!!
I don't know whether to cancel holiday , my daughter says not too but I really done know wot to do ????

Nonnie Thu 04-Feb-16 12:15:24

If it is a holiday of a lifetime then go. She may give birth before or after and, either way, she would hate you to miss such a holiday. I am assuming it is only for 2 weeks so you won't miss too much. Just take a means of Skyping with you.

NanaandGrampy Thu 04-Feb-16 12:19:13

Oh Ive been there ! Not the Carribean lol My youngest DD had DGS4 whilst we were in Florida and I had to wait 2 weeks for my cuddle. Not a lifetime but as pictures were posted of all and sundry I did feel ' That should have been me' !! :-) And he was number 4 not even our first grandchild.

They were all organised but I did feel I'd missed something, and when we arrived home and drove straight there (obviously) my daughter sobbed her heart out because she had wanted us . Not for any particular reason but we were just too far away.

I'm not saying I would have / should have cancelled but in hindsight, if I could have done so with no financial loss I probably would do if there's a next time.

I feel for you in this scenario, is it your first grandchild?

grannylyn65 Thu 04-Feb-16 12:23:44

Is there a chance you could change dates?

Julie57 Thu 04-Feb-16 12:56:08

Hi it's my 2nd grandchild but 1st child for this daughter.. I'm thinking her hubby's taking a month off wen babe is born. So she will have help I don't want to appear shallow but We got such a good deal with holiday & wont b able to again x

NanaandGrampy Thu 04-Feb-16 13:03:22

Then you should go Julie57 !!

It sounds like your daughter and her husband have everything under control. As others have said, get your Skype set up so you can at least have a virtual cuddle .

The baby could after all be late enough for you to have returned or may even oblige by an arrival a little earlier than forecast , then you will have lost your holiday for nothing.

Have a fabulous time :-)

obieone Thu 04-Feb-16 13:17:02

I would cancel. Speaking as someone whose DD has had miscarriages, but not trying to be too gloomy about things going wrong, I think you would be too far away. Plus I personally wouldnt want to miss things. Perhaps I am biased.

janeainsworth Thu 04-Feb-16 13:23:07

julie if your daughter has said don't cancel, then don't cancel.

It's early days yet, you don't know what will happen.

The worst case scenario would be that the baby decided to arrive the day you left for the Carribbean. He or she would still be only 2 weeks old when you came back.

Everyone deserves the holiday of a lifetime, and there will be plenty more special moments with your new grandchild in the years to come flowers

Rhonab Thu 04-Feb-16 13:45:43

Are you able to change the dates and go either earlier or later? Is this her first baby?
We are busy researching holidays now and I will only book for around May, not so far ahead as the Autumn. DGD was born prematurely due to severe pre-eclampsia and I would not want to go away anytime after the 6 month stage just in case it happens again with another pregnancy ... they are trying now.
We had been due to go away when DGD arrived and had to cancel that one, thankfully reimbursed by the travel insurance.
It's a difficult one, you have to go with your instincts! ?

Julie57 Thu 04-Feb-16 14:43:21

It is only 2 weeks away.

Julie57 Thu 04-Feb-16 14:47:43

I don't know anything about procedure of cancelling holiday. Hubby says wait till she has exact dating scan & then decide. Although he does say we should go.
I'm thinking if I went away by the timelier hubby goes back to work I'll b home to help her.

ninathenana Thu 04-Feb-16 14:55:44

Several of us Grans have not been close at hand when our grandchildren were born due to their parents residing in another country.
Two weeks is no time at all, some new parents like that time to bond as a family. If your DD is happy for you to go then do.
I hope DD has a smooth pregnancy.

Julie57 Thu 04-Feb-16 15:06:56

Thanks for ur comments everyone .

Willow500 Thu 04-Feb-16 15:19:00

Unless she's specifically asked for you be there as a birthing partner I wouldn't cancel either - if this is a holiday of a lifetime your daughter would probably be mortified if you cancelled and then the baby was late. It might arrive just as you're about to come home too and then you won't have so long to wait for the cuddle anyway smile

annodomini Thu 04-Feb-16 15:26:54

You never know, first babies are often up to two weeks late, so you could be on time for the birth after all, unless she is having an elective c-section on a specific date. Will you enjoy your cruise if you are waiting every minute for the call? Maybe it would be best to cancel if you can do it painlessly. I think I would trust to luck and go on the cruise, but then I don't have a daughter. hmm

loopylou Thu 04-Feb-16 15:38:11

I'd go.
I was more useful once DS went back to work and the visitors tapered off rather than right at the start. They'll want to spend time together, on their own I'm sure, without having to cope with visitors even if you are mum!

Nonnie Thu 04-Feb-16 15:53:54

I think your DD will be upset if you cancel what she clearly knows is a really special holiday. As she is not on her own I think you should her partner to look after her. Not sure if your insurance would cover a refund unless there is a problem with the pregnancy anyway. Go off and enjoy yourself and don't let her feel guilty.

NanSue Thu 04-Feb-16 16:51:11

Go on holiday julie57. If your DSil is home for a month then DD will get the help and support she needs after giving birth. You can catch up on all those cuddles on your return. Enjoy!

Margsus Thu 04-Feb-16 16:53:24

We were in the same position last November, we had booked a Caribbean cruise months before and our DS and DiL told us they were expecting GC2 on 26th Nov - the day we were due home. We considered cancelling as we didn't want to be away when the baby was born, but in the end decided to go. Our gorgeous grandson was eventually born on 11th December! Go and enjoy.

Julie57 Thu 04-Feb-16 18:11:10

Thanx again to all of u. I have this fear that she will go into labour the day we fly to Grenada. ???? I have my other DD here to support her aswell. But my DD has said NO to cancelling. I will edit for due date scan & go from there.

Granarchist Thu 04-Feb-16 18:23:49

you go girl. Many first babies are very late - if her OH is taking a month off (wow - my OH took not one hour off) - then her early care is sorted. Skype is brilliant and your DD does not need the guilt of knowing you cancelled the holiday of a lifetime - have a great time.

Tresco Thu 04-Feb-16 18:46:25

I was in a very similar position over real trip of a lifetime. DD said go. I thought about it and decided that since I wasn't planning to be there at the birth, I might as well go. I was due back four days before the baby was expected - she actually arrived thre edays late. So everyone was happy and I have a great story to tell DGD about where I was and what I was doing while we waited for her.

Julie57 Thu 04-Feb-16 19:17:37

I'm feeling less anxious after all ur kind comments. Thank again

Jalima Thu 04-Feb-16 19:29:07

First babies are often late; if you cancel then find that her due date is only a couple of days before you are due home then you will have missed a lovely holiday and baby may not have arrived by that date anyway.

Indinana Thu 04-Feb-16 19:32:21

I'm a bit late on this thread, but just want to add my vote for you to go on your holiday. You definitely shouldn't miss it - imagine how your daughter would feel (not to mention how you would feel!) if you cancelled and the baby arrived early or late, after you would have been back. As you say, you got a good deal that you'd be unlikely to get again. Go to Grenada, have your holiday of a lifetime, and spend it looking forward to a lifetime of love and cuddles with your new GC.