Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

The use of acronyms on Gransnet

(178 Posts)
2old4hotpants Fri 12-Feb-16 12:39:23

I love Gransnet, and reading the forums every day. But what really irritates me is the constant use of acronyms. Why not just type daughter, grandson, mother-in-law etc? If we have time to read through the forums each day, surely we have time to enter the grammatical words? And why should they all be darlings? Use of the more obscure acronyms such as ICWYM, FWIW and SO mean I have to pause reading to work them out, or resort to looking them up on the list, which interrupts the flow of reading and absorbing the message.

Are we just jumping on the bandwagon of younger generations text-speak? We are not of their generation, our lives are not generally led at the same pace. Do others agree that text-speak is contributing to the damage of our language? I shall continue to make a stand when posting of using correct language as was taught to our generation. Of course this is only MHO, WDYT?

Lavande Fri 12-Feb-16 14:59:43

I don't use acronyms because I don't think in those terms and don't mind using a whole word. Besides which, there isn't one for a civil partner or even partner which is why I refer to mine as Mr. Lavande or Mr. L if in a rush.

Each to their own!

Alea Fri 12-Feb-16 15:22:35

Or was ND perhaps "nasty daughter"??

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 12-Feb-16 15:30:20

Lavande OH? (other half)

Maggiemaybe Fri 12-Feb-16 16:15:27

They use DP for partner on Mumsnet, but I was just googling to check that and up popped something very naughty blush

I like the D for Darling. Mama, may I go out dancing, yes my darling daughter....

Lavande Fri 12-Feb-16 18:38:47

Mmm, not sure about that jinglbels. He is reckons he is my toy boy (rather than other half) because I am 4 weeks older than him.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 12-Feb-16 18:40:35

Oh well. Just enjoy.

Lavande Fri 12-Feb-16 18:55:04

Just realised I should not be writing anything after half a bottle of Bordeaux. Night all.

Mamie Fri 12-Feb-16 19:06:18

FWIW I like to master a new literary genre IYSWIM. grin

Candelle Fri 12-Feb-16 19:25:38

I think it is almost as fast to write the whole word instead of using an acronym. It's not that I'm old-fashioned, I just don't see the point.

I dislike the use of 'D', as surely our sons, daughters, husbands are always dear to us. OK, perhaps, in the case of husbands, not always!, Bless.

Candelle Fri 12-Feb-16 20:02:47

I was discussing this thread with my husband and he asked if the acronym 'FWOS' was ever used..........?*

Flippin' (or whatever one chooses....!) waste of space.

Alea Fri 12-Feb-16 20:08:03

AHABOB Lavande???

Ana Fri 12-Feb-16 20:14:04

OHAB?

Alea Fri 12-Feb-16 20:26:59

See Lavande at 18.55 smile

Ana Fri 12-Feb-16 20:28:20

Yes, I know. My acronym was supposed to be 'Only Half a Bottle?' grin

Alea Fri 12-Feb-16 20:30:42

Ah, ABST
(A bit slow tonightblush)

ajanela Sat 13-Feb-16 09:14:30

Where do you look up the acronyms? I agree with Too old for hot pants. (2old4hotpants)The general rule is you type out something in full, put the acronym afterwards in brackets and then use the acronym.

Took me a while to work out MHO - My honest opinion and WDYT? - What do you think?

thatbags Sat 13-Feb-16 09:32:46

Just type the acronym into your browser's search bar and various definitions, usages and meanings will come up. As I said earlier, urban dictionary is useful.

Halsgran2 Sat 13-Feb-16 09:40:35

Thank you, I didn't want to admit that I hadn't a clue what some of the initials were for and spent more time trying to figure them out than understanding what the thread was about !!

townie Sat 13-Feb-16 09:52:07

I spend more time on MN than GN so am used to acronyms and happy with them. No need to add the 'D' if you don't want to. I'm in the anti old fogey camp.

Tizliz Sat 13-Feb-16 10:09:34

There are some which it is more polite to use the acronym - FFS is an example, I would never type it out in full as I rarely swear, or one we used at work a lot RTFM (if you can't fix it, read the *****manual).

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 13-Feb-16 10:21:13

I wish people wouldn't come on here saying"I spend more time on Mumsnet than on GN". Is that supposed to suggest superiority - in an ageist manner? hmm

Lupatria Sat 13-Feb-16 10:26:43

i was a secretary for all my working life and able to touch type fairly rapidly [sorry not boasting - it's true].
therefore i find it easier to type daughter, son, grandaughter, etc out in full as it takes me very little time.
however there are some acronyms which completely fox me - so i just ignore that particular post without bothering to look anything up.

2old4hotpants Sat 13-Feb-16 10:33:42

So because some of us prefer to read without having to stop and decipher posts, then we are old fogeys?? For heaven’s sake (sorry FHS), I suppose then we should all start wearing slashed jeans, black nail varnish and nose studs.
I do not consider myself an old fogey by any means. I keep up with (appropriate) fashions, disco and line dance, and join my grandchildren (sorry DGC) on all sorts of den building, hill rolling and mud larking adventures.
So what is the point of it at all, if the reader has to stop and search through an urban dictionary or do a browser search just to understand the post?

POGS Sat 13-Feb-16 10:37:26

I must admit after being on GN for over 3 years now I sometimes do not get the meaning of some acronyms . blush

I probably have used them myself but I prefer to see the written word as they are more expressive of a posters feeling, just a personal view ofcourse.

kittylester Sat 13-Feb-16 10:41:38

I can touch type too but I prefer to use the acronyms and have got used to them now. I am rarely foxed by any of them.