Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

The use of acronyms on Gransnet

(178 Posts)
2old4hotpants Fri 12-Feb-16 12:39:23

I love Gransnet, and reading the forums every day. But what really irritates me is the constant use of acronyms. Why not just type daughter, grandson, mother-in-law etc? If we have time to read through the forums each day, surely we have time to enter the grammatical words? And why should they all be darlings? Use of the more obscure acronyms such as ICWYM, FWIW and SO mean I have to pause reading to work them out, or resort to looking them up on the list, which interrupts the flow of reading and absorbing the message.

Are we just jumping on the bandwagon of younger generations text-speak? We are not of their generation, our lives are not generally led at the same pace. Do others agree that text-speak is contributing to the damage of our language? I shall continue to make a stand when posting of using correct language as was taught to our generation. Of course this is only MHO, WDYT?

grumppa Mon 15-Feb-16 21:57:15

When one understands the acronyms without looking them up?

Wendysue Tue 16-Feb-16 02:41:09

Well, it seems some newbies are having a problem understanding the acronyms - it's not so much about using them. But if that's you, please realize there's a list of them under Acronyms at the upper-right of the page.

Also, below the posts, you can find instructions as to how to post the emotions, put a phrase in italics and so forth.