Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What do you think?

(55 Posts)
Fairydoll2030 Mon 22-Feb-16 16:50:27

I read recently on a problem page in a Sunday paper about a woman (early 30's and childless)who was due to marry a man who, she knew, had inherited 'a large sum ' after his mother's death and before she knew him. He also ran a small business. No mention of whether he was previously married or had children. Her problem was that he would not discuss the details of his inheritance (in other words, how much!) with her, and neither would he allow her access to his business bank account. TBH, I was surprised to see that the reply from the 'relationship expert'. was that she should seriously rethink her relationship with her fiancé if he wasn't completely honest about his financial situation.
My personal opinion is that if they had set up a business together or maybe he had set it up himself AFTER they became engaged, or if he had inherited money AFTERthey knew each other then, fair enough, divulge all. In the event of a divorce then the man (and the woman of course) would be required to show the court details of all their finances anyway.
Was this a case of 'what's yours is mine - and what's mine's my own!'
What do gransnetters think?

Jalima Thu 25-Feb-16 23:16:11

Jings I had to google Flylady.
Me too, I think I am going to like Flylady grin

Faye Fri 26-Feb-16 04:26:12

What if he is facing bankruptcy. His inheritance could be quite a lot smaller than she thinks. She might be facing years of financial hardship. Many marriages fail because of disputes about money.

The other thing is he is secretive. If the woman wanted children would he support her financially. There seems to be too many red flags and she isn't waving them. I agree with the advice she received.

Last year I met a couple who were both around 70 and both widowed in the previous year. The woman's late husband had only died less than seven months before she became married to her second husband. They had met at a grief support group for people who were recently widowed. She said she was distraught when her husband died and they were able to speak openly about their late spouses. She said she had a very happy marriage and was lucky to met someone as nice as her husband. I thought at the time she was telling me how happy she was that she was avoiding her grief. Anyway within a month of her marrying she was very unhappy, every time I saw her she looked like she was about to cry. It turned out that because of her new husband's money she lost her Aged Pension, she now only had a very small income of her own so was reliant on her new husband. She didn't know she would lose her pension and there were many other things she didn't know, such as he had always slept in a seperate bedroom from his late wife and wanted to continue with seperate bedrooms. This man was nice enough and looked sad at his new wife being so unhappy. It might have been better to just enjoy each other's company for a lot longer and go through each scenario, financial or otherwise, they might face before marrying. Living together for a few years would have been the best idea in the UK. If you live with someone as a couple in Australia your assets quickly become theirs too. confused

WilmaKnickersfit Fri 26-Feb-16 06:04:57

I agree with the reply from the Agony Aunt. If I was marrying someone I would expect full disclosure of our financial situations. It is about trust. It's up to them how they organise their finances, but I would need to know where we stand financially as a couple. It's not about what's mine is mine and what's his is his, it's about what is ours, or will be. Access to his business account might just mean seeing statements or viewing an online account. If he won't share the information about his financial situation, I would walk away.

queenMab99 Sat 27-Feb-16 14:49:36

I would want to know the financial situation of someone I was about to marry, she obviously has doubts, perhaps she feels she is being deceived in some way, or that his lifestyle doesn't fit in with his stated financial situation. If he is hiding financial problems with stories of a 'business', and 'inheritance' she could end up supporting him. True love is all very well, for the young and optimistic, but if you are in your 50s/ 60s you need to check out the pros and cons, and there are plenty of cons around as you get older!