Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Going to the races

(21 Posts)
pompa Mon 14-Mar-16 23:20:48

Good night at Romford Dogs, Linda won smile, I didn't hmm
Linda was good with her food choices smile , I wasn't hmm

PRINTMISS Sun 13-Mar-16 15:51:34

My dad was a bookie - didn't own the business, but worked for various people at odd times, also did the tic-tac, and was a runner on occasions. My mum worked on the TOTE for years. I just about know one end of the horse from the other, and would not even know how to put a bet on a horse/dog. Horse/dog racing does not run in the blood, obviously.

phoenix Sun 13-Mar-16 15:41:19

Ah, so we've both backed the same horse, Tegan ! Fingers crossed!

Tegan Sun 13-Mar-16 15:13:13

Thought you'd gone to the dogs a long time ago, pompa grin....

Tegan Sun 13-Mar-16 15:12:38

Same here phoenix; ran Un de Sceaux to 3 lengths at Punchestown and is a spring horse. Hammond horses are running out of their skin at the moment too. The S.O. told me about the article. We're there, as usual on the Tuesday.

pompa Sun 13-Mar-16 15:10:35

We are going to the dogs tomorrow, does that count ?

phoenix Sun 13-Mar-16 15:00:42

I'll be watching on the days I'm not working , a friend is going for Champion Hurdle day, a Christmas present from her children.

After reading a small piece in the Telegraph, I have put 20p e/w on a 100/1 runner in the Queen Mother Chase!

middleagedmenopausalmum Sun 13-Mar-16 14:41:51

DH will Tegan, I've made alternative arrangements this year ;)

Tegan Sun 13-Mar-16 14:18:42

Will you be glued to the telly next week middle?

middleagedmenopausalmum Sun 13-Mar-16 13:38:30

DH loves horse racing Pamaga, in fact he looks forward to Cheltenham all year.
He was on ch4 racing in 1991 receiving a silver rose bowl from Lord Oaksey himself smile

At this time of year I'd goes with a smart, comfortable trouser suit and definitely flat shoes, possibly a little hat if it's ladies day.

Hope you have a lovely day smile

Tegan Tue 08-Mar-16 10:08:09

After a while Corals seem to veto my 2 pence bets but they seem to let me do it for so long! My biggest bet was £5 and it PU'd; I'll never do that again!

phoenix Mon 07-Mar-16 21:18:24

When using my on line account, I do 10p each way! Even when at the races I usually stick at about £2 e/w.

A while back at Exeter, I did £2 e/w on the first race at 28/1. The horse came in first, I collected about £64! Still carried on with my £2 e/w bets though, I don't have nerve for large amounts.
The biggest bet I have ever placed in my life was £10 e/w, and that was the last race of the day while we were at Newton Abbot and I was spending some earlier winnings, if that makes sense?

Tegan Mon 07-Mar-16 17:37:38

I've just had 12 pence worth of bets and won....10pence blush....

Luckygirl Mon 07-Mar-16 17:35:47

You really know how to push the boat out!! grin

Tegan Mon 07-Mar-16 17:06:34

I have lots of 2 pence each way bets online before I go; cheaper than betting on track!

Luckygirl Mon 07-Mar-16 16:59:49

I have been to Monmouth Boxing Day races a few times and wore whatever would prevent my extremities falling off!

On one memorable occasion I went with my DD and Son-IL and the person taking the money thought DD was mine and Son-IL's daughter. That cheered me up a bit! DD is quite short!

Confession here: I thought the whole racing thing was boring! I did not have enough money to make the bets exciting!

Tegan Mon 07-Mar-16 16:44:28

Kelso...a steeplechase course with a steeple in the distance; the lads at the fence/ a little dog that was feeling the cold....

Tegan Mon 07-Mar-16 15:51:20

If it's the 'party in the paddock' I guess people might dress up more. Having said that, even though I've been going racing for years I went to Newmarket a couple of years ago and fretted about what I should wear; turned out to be the wettest day I've ever been racing on and wished I'd worn my winter waxes! Kelso really is the friendliest course in the country and the people who go are far more interested in the racing and the horses than dressing up. Every winning horse gets a bag of carrots. We always go to see the horses jump the last fence and spend most of the afternoon chatting to the fence men and the St Johns Ambulance lot. I envy you if you're going into the old stand because they have a roaring fire going.

Tegan Mon 07-Mar-16 15:35:39

Pamaga; just wear thermals! I'll just check out which meeting you might be going to....

merlotgran Mon 07-Mar-16 15:28:03

Tegan?

Somebody needs your advice!!

Pamaga Mon 07-Mar-16 15:23:09

OH and I are going to Kelso racecourse shortly: my first ever trip to a horse racing event. I am unsure about the dress code and looked on the website but could find no advice. I reckon it will be pretty cold on the day so want to be warm but don't want to appear under-dressed. Any advice from those of you who follow the gee-gees would be much appreciated. TIA!