Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Cruising clothes

(30 Posts)
Pamaga Mon 07-Mar-16 15:28:34

We are pushing the boat out and have booked a transatlantic crossing this summer (Southampton to NYC and back with 5 days in NYC in between). There is a dress code on board ship and I am looking forward to wearing some dressy clothes that I never normally wear these days! I have raided the charity shops for some cheapy evening wear as we are not normally in the cocktail party set.
What I don't want to do is overload myself with clothing that I end up not wearing. I will probably wear jeans/cropped pants and T-shirts while in NYC but am unsure about clothing during the day on board the ship. We have a verandah on our cabin but will I be likely to be sitting out mid ocean? What will the temperatures be like?
I don't envisage dressing like a dog's dinner during the day but don't want to look overly casual either.
If any cruise-goers have any advice, it would be most welcome.
This is one of our bucket-list items and I want it to be as enjoyable and memorable as can be!

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 04-Mar-17 21:05:10

Lots of good advice on cruises generally here www.gransnet.com/life-and-style/travel/cruising grin

ninathenana Sat 04-Mar-17 22:52:54

Grannyben is this not 2017 ???confused

LauraGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 06-Mar-17 16:52:20

This one too! www.gransnet.com/life-and-style/travel/what-to-take-on-a-cruise

A couple of unusual items in here as well.

Galen Mon 06-Mar-17 17:48:37

There are never enough plug points so I pack an extension cable with multiple sockets