Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Drawbacks of apartment living.

(127 Posts)
tanith Tue 08-Mar-16 15:26:38

OH and I were discussing this again on our walk today, he was brought up in old tenement blocks for much of his childhood and when I suggested that in years to come we may need to move to an apartment (hopefully ground floor with outside space) he was adamant that he'll NEVER live in a flat again. His list of drawbacks starts and ends with noise from above he tells horror stories of the noise he suffered from neighbours in his past.

My son and brother both live in apartments and my son lives on the 5th floor so has neighbours all around him, he lives abroad but when I'm there I can't say I've ever been bothered by noise from neighbours.

So I'm sure there are some of you who live in flats/apartments what sort of drawbacks do you find?

Maggie725 Wed 09-Mar-16 10:24:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Maggie725 Wed 09-Mar-16 10:24:17

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

My flat is quite nice, but not much storage room. There is a management committee, but getting them to answer my phone calls and emails is a nightmare. Have been to Citizens Advice about them twice. Last year I thought about moving, but some of the places I looked at were awful, so I decided to stay here, and make it warmer. It's handy for buses and not noisy because it is tucked away behind a few more flats which are on the main road.

My flat is quite nice, but not much storage room. There is a management committee, but getting them to answer my phone calls and emails is a nightmare. Have been to Citizens Advice about them twice. Last year I thought about moving, but some of the places I looked at were awful, so I decided to stay here, and make it warmer. It's handy for buses and not noisy because it is tucked away behind a few more flats which are on the main road.

Maggie725 Wed 09-Mar-16 10:24:18