Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Drawbacks of apartment living.

(127 Posts)
tanith Tue 08-Mar-16 15:26:38

OH and I were discussing this again on our walk today, he was brought up in old tenement blocks for much of his childhood and when I suggested that in years to come we may need to move to an apartment (hopefully ground floor with outside space) he was adamant that he'll NEVER live in a flat again. His list of drawbacks starts and ends with noise from above he tells horror stories of the noise he suffered from neighbours in his past.

My son and brother both live in apartments and my son lives on the 5th floor so has neighbours all around him, he lives abroad but when I'm there I can't say I've ever been bothered by noise from neighbours.

So I'm sure there are some of you who live in flats/apartments what sort of drawbacks do you find?

BlackeyedSusan Mon 14-Mar-16 22:43:21

I have stairs in my flat. just to be awkward

the downsides. the neighbour downstairs swears. often he has cause to swear, when ds is having a meltdown and I can not leap across the room fast enough to scoop him off the floor. murphy also dictates that I am in the opposite corner of the flat on the loo when he has a jumping up and down paddy. pressure to keep quiet all the time

my washing machine is above the neighbours bedroom so it can only be run within certain hours.

the foyer echoes. everything can be heard.... mainly ds

I can hear everything from the neighbours, thus they can hear me. and ds

diy/workmen in the block reverberates through the whole block. nightmare.

windows only face oneway. lovely throughout winter but unbearable for up to two weeks a year. nowhere to retreat to the cool and 30 degree heat inside. can not open the big windows due to children escaping...miss seeing rainbows and the weather approaching

the garden is shared so you have to put up with other people's children (mine for other people) dogs pooing, litter, not having a choice of plants or when things are pulled up, pruned or planted. much better to have a low maintenance garden of your own, and a gardener if necessary.

there is no lift so that deliveries have to be arranged specially. getting furniture appliances etc up the stairs is not easy. limited to what will fit.

arranging for replacement of windows involves the hire of scaffolding. your windows get painted on a strict timetable even if they need it before hand. and there is no say when they come to do them.

drains. we have our own outlet being on the front. those on the back have had problems as the down pipe drains three flats. and not all of them are good with what they put down the loo. (chicken carcass?!) other peoples sewerage backed up in a lower flat.

bins, shared or own it is still a trail down.

shopping brought up several flights of stairs. as knees deteriorate that will not be fun. no option to install a stair lift as it is communal.

dope.. floating up the walls and out of the airbricks. used to annoy me at first but after abit I did not care... grin

oh then there was the the raid by the drug squad in riot gear. (see previous point)