Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

I pad games for children

(19 Posts)
Judthepud2 Mon 21-Mar-16 19:56:51

Oh yes! Magic Fingers! DGD2 (4) and DGS2 (6) love this. Good for developing the imagination creatively. I quite like it myself from time to time.

Stansgran Mon 21-Mar-16 14:21:42

And it keeps them all happy forgot to say.

Stansgran Mon 21-Mar-16 14:20:58

I have Doodle Dandy,Magic Fingers,hay Day,Flutter and of course Gran Run. All free and the first two I quite enjoy the doodling and patterns. I'm easily pleased

Indinana Mon 21-Mar-16 09:42:12

We travelled by car to London (a 4-5 hour journey) with our DS and GS when GS was 4 1/2, and I looked for games that would amuse him. One game that was a roaring success was 'Little Things' by Klicktock (not 'Little Things Forever' which wasn't available then). You are shown a picture of a horse, or a beagle, a camera and so on, and each picture is made up of hundreds of tiny objects, the 'little things'. The game requires you to find specific items from each picture - it might be 10 paperclips, or it might be a list of different items, a basketball, a cup, an elephant, a candle etc. etc. As you find each one you tap on it and it is surrounded by twinkling stars and crossed off the list. Once you have found all items you get a piece of a jigsaw puzzle, and when you have completed enough games to earn all the pieces of that particular jigsaw, then you get to do the jigsaw!

I downloaded this game 5 years ago and it has been a favourite ever since. And I'm not just talking about the children, as my DH and I both play it regularly - it is absolutely compulsive grin

PamelaJ1 Mon 21-Mar-16 09:30:45

Re sound, on my iPad I swipe up from the bottom of the screen, there is a panel will a bell symbol. This enables you to mute an individual app.

PamelaJ1 Mon 21-Mar-16 09:26:55

Thank you Pippa for the air plane mode tip. I will try it on my solitaire game.
Thanks to everyone else, I will try your suggestions.

JanT2004 Sun 20-Mar-16 10:06:37

My nearly 5 year old GS likes CBeebies and Leo's Pad, both are educational and fun.

Anya Sun 20-Mar-16 09:27:20

Try typing 123 kids apps into Apple apps and see what come up. Some might be pre-school and too young, but still quite fun and (dare I say the word) educational shock

Anya Sun 20-Mar-16 09:20:55

I seem to remember mine liking 123 Art and jigsaws 123.

Kittye Sat 19-Mar-16 17:21:55

Pippa can't you " mute " your iPad? I have mine on mute most of the time , can't stand the annoying music that accompanies most things. But I suppose the tunes are fun to littlies. smile

LullyDully Sat 19-Mar-16 17:16:24

Cbeebies

LullyDully Sat 19-Mar-16 14:20:16

Is she too young for Minecraft? If not freebies.

Galen Sat 19-Mar-16 11:40:53

Poisson rouge aquarium was and still is a favourite of my two

Thingmajig Sat 19-Mar-16 11:25:30

There are also some CBeebies apps for kids. I have a few for our 2 year old granddaughter and she loves them. Obviously your 5 year old would want something for older kids, but there are loads to choose from.

Pippa000 Sat 19-Mar-16 10:50:11

Have a look on Kindle apps, if the Ipad can accommodate them. I have downloaded on my Kindle Fire for my 4 & 5 year old GC - Trucks, More Trucks, My First Letters (helps with writing skills while being fun), Hero Adventure, staring Fire Man Sam, Paw Patrol, and Kaleidoscope, to name but a few. I also find by switching to Air plane mode it prevents any adverts appearing. The only annoying thing is the constant music that accompanies every thing. Most of these are free or very inexpensive.

PamelaJ1 Sat 19-Mar-16 09:57:30

Thanks Anya, Thats a good idea, I will look at films. My ipad is already programmed so he cant buy anything! I am also very old fashioned ( only in this respect) I am always with him when he is doing something on the computer!

Anya Sat 19-Mar-16 07:38:22

Or you might like to download a film for her to watch.

Anya Sat 19-Mar-16 07:37:45

First of all make sure you programme your iPad so they cannot buy in app purchases without a password.

Depends what your GD likes. Does she like puzzles, jigsaws, educational games, numbers, words, music, colouring games.....???

PamelaJ1 Sat 19-Mar-16 07:28:05

We are taking dgs on a long car journey soon and thought I would add an app or two to my tablet. I am totally confused by the choices. I want one that doesn't involve lots of adverts and in app purchases and is suitable for a 5 year old. I don't mind paying for it. I do look at the reviews of each app but they are confusing too! Any recommendations ?