Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Steam cleaners

(11 Posts)
italiangirl Wed 30-Mar-16 09:06:36

I'm.thinking about buying one,any gransnetters have any ideas as to how useful they are/worth it.

pompa Wed 30-Mar-16 09:47:22

We had one and it was good on tiled floors, but we changed to vinyl and they are not recommended for vinyl.

Deedaa Wed 30-Mar-16 21:09:37

We bought one, lent it to DS who liked it so much we never got it back! We've since bought another. I find it very good on our tiled floors.

jogginggirl Wed 30-Mar-16 22:13:58

Love mine, it's so easy to use - you do have to fill the water tank quite frequently - I use it on wooden and tiled floors.

lynnie1 Wed 30-Mar-16 22:19:32

We have one. We have Amtico floors and it's not suitable to use on them. I do, however, use it to clean the rugs. It's also really handy to give the bathroom a deep clean.

JessM Thu 31-Mar-16 05:07:21

I am mystified as to why anyone would be so keen on cleaning that they wanted one of these, unless perhaps they lived on an extremely muddy farm with people and animals traipsing mud through the house. However many times you steam clean your house it will still be home to about 1,000,000,000, bacteria per square centimetre.

suzied Thu 31-Mar-16 07:20:49

I have a Karcher and I love it. It does kill bacteria but it's not just about that. You don't need cleaning products as it just cleans with the steam. I sometimes add a drop of lavender oil to the tank and it gives a really fresh smell. It's great on tiles, I clean the bathroom and toilet with it. Clean the rugs, curtains, doorstep, suede boots, loads of uses. I don't steam clean every week but when I do, the grime that comes up is amazing. I'm not a clean freak but I prefer to live in a cleanish environment.

Bellasnana Thu 31-Mar-16 08:04:17

I've had one for years which I use to steam clean DD3's mattress and pillows as she is acutely asthmatic. It does help to kill the dust mites.

I have just bought an upright one (I think it is Russel Hobbs) to use on the floors of my new maisonette, which are all ceramic tiles. Haven't used it yet. I realise it does not eliminate all bacteria, but figured it would be a lot easier to use than constant mopping, or bending to squeeze out a floor cloth. My back is not what it used to be grin

aggie Thu 31-Mar-16 10:56:10

My DD1 uses a steam cleaner everywhere , I am afraid to stand still near her . She bought me one but she uses it smile , we have cushionfloor stuff on the bedroom and kitchen and bathroom and they get blasted at least once a week ! I have been known to vacuum occasionally , I have no idea where she got the cleaning bug from sad

Candelle Thu 31-Mar-16 12:03:53

I have a steam cleaner and use it on our kitchen cupboards. Our kitchen floor is Amtico and apparently it could lift the tiles up (I did ring Amtico when I bought the steam cleaner and they were unable to say it was OK but didn't seem to know for certain that it wasn't), so I didn't buy it for that purpose but to de-grease our wooden kitchen cupboard doors.

My DH loves to cook (as did I before he retired - he has more or less taken over) but is as messy as can be and seems to cover every surface in grease. The sun shines directly onto one wall in particular and shows up every greasy mark but the steam cleaner dissolves these in a trice.

I was a bit apprehensive as to whether using it would also dissolve the joints in the doors but so far, so good.......

italiangirl Thu 31-Mar-16 23:05:36

Thanks for the feedback .well why do I want one it's only left to me to clean the grotty areas in various rooms and I'm beginning to resent the time it takes only to find that the grit returns .I want time to pursue other things,plus.bits begin to ache.