Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Am I using foil the wrong way round?

(43 Posts)
petitpois Thu 31-Mar-16 18:46:44

My daughter has said I should be using it the opposite way to how I've been using it all my life. E.g. I've just made fish pie and she's said I need to put the foil shiny side towards the pie to keep it warm instead of the other way? Does that make sense? Does everyone know this and I've been using it wrong my whole life!? hmm

Jalima Wed 13-Apr-16 22:23:18

If you count the nicer suede side as the 'right side' then that faces the window on these JL curtains. The 'right side' of the curtain fabric is obviously facing the room. The hems face each other in between curtain and lining - two 'wrong sides' together, hems facing with the lining a bit shorter than the curtain.
If that makes sense!

Icyalittle Tue 12-Apr-16 21:08:55

Great, I think I understand. Mind you, My brain goes all fluffy every time I try to make curtains so will need to keep coming back to re-read this!

Jalima Tue 05-Apr-16 18:41:37

The only blackout ones we have are from JL and in the small bedroom (not expensive ones, they are for a child's bedroom).
The suede side is outwards facing the window, hem to hem on the inside.

pompa Tue 05-Apr-16 18:36:52

Sorry. not a Scooby Doo, we don't have any black put curtains.

Ana Tue 05-Apr-16 18:20:00

Mine are suedey side outwards as well, partly because of the way they're hemmed but also because the 'other' side is a pale greyish colour which doesn't go with anything. The suedey side is beige.

aggie Tue 05-Apr-16 17:50:10

just looked at my curtains , they have the hem turned up onto the suede side so that is the side turned to the curtain ............ otherwise it would look untidy from the outside and we don't want neighbours sniffing , do we ?

Icyalittle Tue 05-Apr-16 17:43:49

Okay, now that the foil is sorted, please can anyone (*Pompa*?) tell me which way blackout curtain lining should go? Suede-y side to the curtain or smooth side to the curtain?

thepointlessgrandma Mon 04-Apr-16 14:21:16

Irrespective of the foil dilemma, I'm loving that The Galloping Gourmet, Graham Kerr, just got a mention. I loved him. Re the foil, I kind of understand the logic of shiny side in, but I'm going to be reckless and carry on using shiny side out. Hard to change the habits of a lifetime.

Elegran Mon 04-Apr-16 11:07:01

Perhaps if the oven has an element glowing red or white hot like a grill it might reflect it, but most heat in an oven is convected through heating the air in it, not radiant, so I am not sure that reflecting it is all that relevant.

In a grillpan, under the meat being grilled, reflecting the heat back up from the shinier surface onto the underside of would make sense - but does it really do that?

middleagedmenopausalmum Mon 04-Apr-16 10:19:38

I always do shiny side in because it will reflect the heat otherwise, or so I was told years ago?

Whichever way works for you I suppose smile

Greenfinch Sun 03-Apr-16 22:20:15

I have just seen an advert for the stuff and on the top right hand side it says use dull side inside.

Judthepud2 Sun 03-Apr-16 21:42:13

No seriously pompa I was grateful for the info. Needed to be reminded about egg sucking. grin

pompa Sun 03-Apr-16 19:16:41

Jud... Sorry if I'm teaching my granny to suck eggs.

pompa Sun 03-Apr-16 19:15:15

Nana3. Yes silver foil would reflect radiation (the Sun) very well.. This is why we can get sunburn from snow.

Judthepud2 Sun 03-Apr-16 15:16:04

pompa you are such a mine of information. Thank you for reminding me of the basic science. Every time I come on to GN I learn something ?

BlackeyedSusan Sun 03-Apr-16 10:36:41

under the chin wrinkles... oh yes!

<eyeroll>

Nana3 Sun 03-Apr-16 10:03:46

I once saw a person sunbathing with silver foil reflecting ( pompa ?) the sun to get under her chin brown. Ooo er mrs !!!

lizzyann Fri 01-Apr-16 17:40:03

Yes that's what I mean silly me

tigger Fri 01-Apr-16 14:27:22

It is not supposed to matter which way around!

pompa Fri 01-Apr-16 12:27:09

For the technically minded, there are three ways heat can transfer :-

Conduction -when you put your finger on a hot pan (ouch) that is conduction.
Convection - this is the transfer of heat through the air - an electric fire
Radiation - this is usually infrared radiation. This is a type electromagnetic radiation eg The Sun.

Foil is very good at conducting heat, either way hot>cold or cold>hot. It will prevent convection because it forms a barrier and it will reflect radiation. But an oven primarily works through convection so the silver/matt side will not make much difference.

A thermos Flask works because it prevents all three types of heat transfer.

Glass is a poor conductor of heat
The silvering reflects radiation
The vacuum prevents convection.

crun Fri 01-Apr-16 11:55:07

Pompa has hit the nail on the head, the difference in finish is just a by-product of the way it's produced, not for any performance reason:

"Aluminium foil has a shiny side and a matte side. The shiny side is produced when the aluminium is rolled during the final pass. It is difficult to produce rollers with a gap fine enough to cope with the foil gauge, therefore, for the final pass, two sheets are rolled at the same time, doubling the thickness of the gauge at entry to the rollers. When the sheets are later separated, the inside surface is dull, and the outside surface is shiny. This difference in the finish has led to the perception that favouring a side has an effect when cooking. While many believe that the different properties keep heat out when wrapped with the shiny finish facing out, and keep heat in with the shiny finish facing inwards, the actual difference is imperceptible without instrumentation. "

According to Wiki, the purpose of foil is to keep moisture in, not for keeping heat in or out, which makes sense to me.

JackyB Fri 01-Apr-16 11:24:41

I'm pretty sure we're talking about reflecting the heat here. Conducting heat would take it away from the food inside.

JackyB Fri 01-Apr-16 11:22:57

I've always put the shiny side towards the food to reflect the heat if hot, and outside, for the same reason, if cold. I thought it was obvious, till I saw professionals even doing it the other way round, covering a turkey on a buffet when they noticed that everyone was helping themselves to a salad or starter and not going for the main course first time round. They put the shiny side outwards. I told them off.

Blinko Fri 01-Apr-16 10:57:08

Like Imp27 I did wonder. Good to know I wasn't alone... thanks for posting the solution.

lizzyann Fri 01-Apr-16 10:14:34

Morning everyone , the shiny side should be down as it conducts the heat better.