Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Looking for a dress to wear to my grandson's wedding

(10 Posts)
janet125 Fri 01-Apr-16 14:54:16

I am looking for a dress to wear to my grandson's wedding in August. I am a size 18 now and i just can't seem to find anything anywhere. I am looking for a dress similar to what Nigella wears but i can't seem to find out where she buys her dresses from. I don't want the stretchy ones i'm looking for a nice sarong one. Does anyone have any ideas?

hildajenniJ Fri 01-Apr-16 15:05:45

Try looking at John Lewis wedding guest dresses. They have some lovely ones, the price range is good too.

Coolgran65 Fri 01-Apr-16 15:08:55

Does it have to be a dress?
Floaty trousers...
www.florentynadawn.co.uk/lewis-henry-navy-white-3-piece-trouser-set.html

Separates.... Jacque Vert Sale in John Lewis
www.johnlewis.com/jacques-vert-lace-round-neck-top/p2023424?sku=234510483&s_afcid=af_130241&awc=1203_1459519624_8e622d28f13b0cdfa2a2ac5314a7e4f6

Teetime Fri 01-Apr-16 15:13:34

The Nigella one is Bombshell- lots of different colours and patterns. I have also been looking at some lovely ones from Hobbs on line and DD2 just bought a cracker from LK Bennett - lots of shops have larger sizes on line than in their stores. The one I fancy is on John Lewis the Hobbs Henriette Bluebell Dress. Its available in size 18 and as we are not going to the same event it wont matter will it?

Nvella Sat 02-Apr-16 00:48:37

Book yourself an appointment with a John Lewis personal shopper- they are brilliant. They will find things you would never think of getting. I did it for my son's wedding and everything they brought me was perfect

Witzend Sun 10-Apr-16 18:12:52

I tried a JL shopper last year for a dress for dd's summer wedding. She was very helpful, but there was literally NOTHING suitable. I did not want typical 'mother of the bride' stuff, especially not in ghastly salmon pink! More than one helper in more than one shop seemed to think this was perfect for MOTB.
Nor did I want anything too short or sleeveless or very fitted. I wanted something pretty and comfortable, not too formal, but stylish. It was hopeless. Anything where the fabric was really pretty was invariably the wrong sort of style - I.e. might well well looked nice enough if I were 46 and still a size 10, instead of 66 and a 12/14.
In the end, and almost in despair at finding nothing in what is considered a very good shopping centre, I found a really lovely blue and white linen dress online, at Poetry. I ordered 2 sizes since unsure, they arrived within 36 hours and I was able to return the wrong (larger!) one for free.

Penstemmon Sun 10-Apr-16 18:20:05

Try Sahara or Box 2 or the badly named Beige. All on line

Penstemmon Sun 10-Apr-16 18:27:25

www.saharalondon.com

www.box2.co.uk
www.beigeplus.com

Sorry posted before I added the links!!

In the end for my DDs wedding I found a dress from fennwright.occasionoutfits.com

Good luck.. I too tried to avoid the MOTB look!

TriciaF Mon 11-Apr-16 02:19:34

Have a look on www.simplybe.co.uk/
There are some nice things on there, but I haven't used them myself.

Katek Mon 11-Apr-16 10:04:11

I bought s lovely floaty red dress from Monsoon for dgs wedding in August. Got it in January sales for half of a half price so it was a great buy! I need the hem taken up but I saved so much on the purchase that I'm putting it into the dressmaker to have it done. I have an off white jacket and accessories from a wedding last year that I can wear with it. Red is the wedding 'colour' as the bride and family have beautiful dark hair so it was a lucky find.