Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Anyone Else Allergic to Flu Jab?

(9 Posts)
Falconbird Fri 08-Apr-16 07:48:34

I'm a great believer in preventive medicine and was well up for having the flu injection. I had two with no problem but the third one caused an allergic reaction. My arm swelled up and my eyes, ears and throat were itching like mad. I had to ring 111 and had an urgent appointment with the GP next morning. The verdict is "no more flu jabs for me." sad

Gagagran Fri 08-Apr-16 08:08:37

Same for me Falconbird. I reacted badly to the shingles jab so was advised to avoid further jabs and I have not had the flu jab accordingly. It was thought to be the medium the vaccine is in that I reacted to.

Falconbird Fri 08-Apr-16 08:33:39

Sorry to hear about the shingles jab Gagagran. I guess I won't be able to have that either. I'm just recovering from nasty flu and feel fed up that I'm helpless to do anything about it.

whitewave Fri 08-Apr-16 08:40:42

The year before last my arm came up like a balloon and I felt dreadful, but I didn't seek help so no advice was given. This year it was fine, but I do agree about the medium though.

NanaandGrampy Fri 08-Apr-16 09:02:54

I don't have it any more either.

Although assured by the GP that you cant catch flu from the jab , 4 years on the trot I was ill enough after my jab to be in bed for over a week, very sore arm and feeling terrible.

It just doesn't offer me enough benefit for that so I do my best to keep healthy and take my chances.

Katek Fri 08-Apr-16 09:08:03

Could you have the nasal vaccine instead?

Falconbird Fri 08-Apr-16 09:17:28

Interesting point about the nasal vaccine. I''ll ask about it at my next appointment.

My problem was not so much the arm swelling up but the itching throat - that was the thing that put the GP onto full alert because of anaphalatic (can't spell it) shock.

Any tips on keeping well. I was doing fine, no colds all winter and then picked up a really nasty bug.

Candelle Mon 11-Apr-16 14:01:33

Another allergic reaction here! For a few years running, my arm had a bump after innoculation but I didn't mentioned it to my GP. Several years down the line my arm swelled up to the extent that I couldn't put my jacket on; it was like having a huge egg on my arm. I did mention it at this point and was told I should not have the injection in the future in case of a more severe anaphylactic response. The reaction was apparently due to the medium, eggs (although I am not normally allergic to eggs). However, after a year or two and very severe respiratory problems, it was decided to give it another go and I have been fine since (I was asked to sit in the surgery after the injection and wait for half an hour to monitor any possible reaction).

I do have a cold and feel a bit unwell for a day or two after the innoculation but think the benefit outweighs the problem. Perhaps they have changed the medium?

Candelle Mon 11-Apr-16 14:17:18

falconbird I have had respiratory problems all my life and take daily coticosteroids and full strength steroids when necessary. Winter is often very 'challenging' with repeated infections but this year I started to be pro-active and it has worked. I do understand that what I do is nonsensical to some but until it stops working, I'll carry on. Before I leave the house to travel on public transport, visit a shopping centre or theatre - in other words, wherever there are people - I spray my nose with a couple of squirts of 'First Defence', wait a few minutes and then (turn away if you are squeamish!) put a little bit of Vaseline into each nostril. On arriving home, we ensure we wash our hands for at least twenty seconds (for the avoidance of doubt, we wash our hands after inserting the Vaseline, too!!).

This year I have only had one minor cold and absolutely no major infections. I accept this could be because I have possibly had the viruses that are doing the rounds or have been lucky but I do think there could be something in our regime and as it costs pennies per day, will continue with it. It may be of help to you?