Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Concerned about hubby's quiver.

(23 Posts)
jinglbellsfrocks Wed 13-Apr-16 10:38:27

My DH's little head is nodding away all the time. It's just an essential tremor. Ageing thing. Bless.

Luckygirl Wed 13-Apr-16 10:06:40

Intention tremor is never PD - I have no idea what it is, but not PD. It occurs when someone is reaching to pick something up and the hand shakes the nearer you get to it. In PD the tremor is on-going regardless of what you are doing.

annodomini Wed 13-Apr-16 09:06:24

Seven years ago, I was slightly alarmed by a tremor in my hands so asked the GP about it. She diagnosed it as an 'intention tremor'. Luckily in this case it was temporary and only reappears occasionally when I am very tired or stressed. It can, apparently, be a symptom of MS.

PRINTMISS Wed 13-Apr-16 08:48:10

We have just discovered that the shaking my other half has in his left hand and which started about six months ago, is due to the latest drug he was prescribed at about that time. We too thought that he had Parkinsons, or some such, but looking at the drug on the web, I have since discovered that several other "ailments" he has can be attributed to the drug. On the doctors' advice he stopped taking the drug a week ago, and quite honestly the shaking is becoming less, so as everyone here says, the quivering is not necessarily Parkinsons Disease, but taking advice helps.

kittylester Wed 13-Apr-16 07:54:29

My friend has had a tremor for as long as I have known her - approx 35 years. If she carries a cup and saucer it sounds rather like Mrs Overall!

Wendysue Wed 13-Apr-16 02:51:58

Good luck, Arian! Hope it turns out there was nothing to worry about, but, most of all, hope you can get DH to go to the doctor.

wot Tue 12-Apr-16 17:58:46

Ha ha!

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 12-Apr-16 17:16:10

The title of this thread has a very rude misleading ring to it.

Nonnie Tue 12-Apr-16 10:26:53

If you can't get him to the doctor can you go and tell the doc what you have observed and ask him if you should insist that he goes? I know the doc can't diagnose like this but at least can let you know if you should be concerned. I think that is what I would do as our docs are so good. You need to know whether you are worrying unnecessarily or not. I think PD is one of those things which can be helped better the earlier you get it but others will know more than me.

Morghew70 Tue 12-Apr-16 10:18:32

A friend of mine has an essential tremor and her doctor prescribed beta blockers just to take when she went out as she used to get very embarrassed and they have helped. Hope it is something as simple as that.

shysal Mon 11-Apr-16 13:53:19

Good luck with persuading him to see the GP! Let us know how it goes.

Arian Mon 11-Apr-16 13:44:44

Sorry i havent got back here but I've had my grandchildren for the weekend and they just about destroyed the house and left us both exhasted, but thats another story which i most likely will share with you titled, " demolition squad".
Thanks to everyone, who posted information and advice. It was very informative.
I am tackling my concerns tomorrow, I think today we both need to just relax and de-stress after the grandchildrens adventure. Haha.

Nansypansy Sat 09-Apr-16 22:41:21

My husband, well ex husband, has an essential tremor of his head. He's had it for nearly 40 years but would never admit or discuss it until a young optician mentioned about it to him (I never dared) about 5 years ago, and he then sought help. The only treatment he was eventually offered was Botox in his neck on a regular basis, which went on for a few years but now he doesn't bother - I tell him it's nothing to bother about and is just part of him. I know it bothers him a lot because his Father had it, though much worse, also his father's sister. It must therefore surely be hereditary.

harrigran Sat 09-Apr-16 11:46:18

DSIL has essential tremor and has had it since I first met him nearly 30 years ago. My paternal grandmother had a facial tremor all the time that I knew her and she certainly didn't have PD. Don't worry until you get a diagnosis.

Luckygirl Sat 09-Apr-16 11:35:01

Don't forget that some tremors are nothing to do with PD. As well as having PD, my OH also has something called an "essential tremor" on the other side. So do not assume that PD is the only thing to cause tremors.

Elegran Sat 09-Apr-16 11:24:38

I was trying to think of a reply to Galen that wasn't vulgar, but I couldn't.

Galen Sat 09-Apr-16 11:05:45

When I saw the op I thought it meant an arrow holder?hmm

Arian Sat 09-Apr-16 10:11:06

Thanks Luckygirl. Much appreciated.
I will most likely have to knock him out to get him to the doctors but I can be just as stubborn.

Arian Sat 09-Apr-16 10:04:01

Just looked at that info, I can say there's at least 4 of those symptoms I can recognise in hubby. Think I will have to confront this head on, wish me luck, he can be a stubborn old mule at times but I love him dearly.Thanks for your help.

Luckygirl Sat 09-Apr-16 09:59:08

My OH has PD and has had it for the last 10 years or more. His started with a tremor in one hand; and now there are a multitude of other symptoms that people often do not realise are associated with the disease.

Parkinsons UK are an excellent organisation who provide support and also sponsor much research. They have a helpline that you can ring:

Call FREE on 0808 800 0303
Opening times: Monday-Friday: 9am-7pm, Saturday: 10am-2pm
​(Closed Sundays/Bank Holidays)
- See more at: www.parkinsons.org.uk/content/parkinsons-uk-helpline#sthash.ZoAO5GJf.dpuf

I hope you find the answers you need. You and I would be off to the doc's like a shot - what is it with these men?! grin

Arian Sat 09-Apr-16 09:56:26

Thank you shysal, I will take a look.☺ much appreciated.

shysal Sat 09-Apr-16 09:49:16

I found this on the internet Arian, hope it is useful.
www.caring.com/articles/10-signs-of-parkinsons-disease
I hope all will be well for your DH.

Arian Sat 09-Apr-16 09:34:57

Hi, recently I have been worried about my hubby. I notice lately when he is sat watching TV or just reading or computing, his mouth is quivering really fast, he's just turned 65 and is still very active, gardening , painting etc. I can't help feeling worried, I haven't mentioned it to him because I know he would say " oh don't worry it's nothing" if I suggest the doctors to him he always tells me not to worry and he's not going to go to those quacks. My son's have noticed it too.
Does anyone know the symptoms of Parkinson's disease?
I've looked on the net but I wondered if there's anyone here who has first hand experience of Parkinson's. I have only a few mins before my grandchildren arrive so I might have to get back to this later so I want to thank everyone in advance for your helpful advice. THANKS