Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What would surprise your friends?

(55 Posts)
NanaandGrampy Wed 20-Apr-16 08:57:00

I was talking to a friend yesterday and was surprised when she told me she had done a bungee jump on a holiday a few years ago. It got me thinking about what would it surprise me to know about my friends.

For instance , I don't think anyone outside my immediate family knows I'm a marksman with a pistol , rifle and submachine gun and I can strip them down blindfolded and reassemble them !!

What would surprise your friends about you?

banorapoint2486 Thu 28-Apr-16 04:52:05

You've certainly had some unusual experiences. You should write a book about it. Sorry to hear you are confined to a wheelchair. You have plenty of things to remember though. Best wishes

Maggiemaybe Wed 27-Apr-16 08:29:13

Cornergran flowers

NanaHolly Wed 27-Apr-16 07:54:04

I think it would surprise people to find out that I seriously wanted to be a nun.
Not because I am vocal about being agnostic, just because they know me as a decidedly analytical person and because I don't have a problem with any faith (with the exception of - what I consider to be - cults) or walk of life (as long as it doesn't harm innocent people).
Or maybe because my sense of humour isn't always (okay, most of the time it's not) ladylike. grin

wot Sat 23-Apr-16 21:17:51

You and me both! Well, I've got one friend.

Willow500 Sat 23-Apr-16 20:33:47

I have no friends to surprise grin

Barmyoldbat Sat 23-Apr-16 12:50:58

When I was 19 I hitched hiked from With a friend around Europe for 3 months, just going where the lifts took us. No internet, or mobile phones just travellers cheques, a map of Europe, membership to the Yha and a postcard home to mum and dad every now and again. It was total freedom

Craftycat Fri 22-Apr-16 14:00:29

AnnieGran- how brave to talk about it at last. It can only do you good.

Juggernaut- we may have met on Weymouth beach handing flowers out to the families there. I had spent ages painting flowers weaving up my legs & was most put out when the sea washed them off- it was supposed to be waterproof eye makeup! Funnily enough my friends might be surprised but I doubt my GC would! They think I am whacky anyway.

Blinko Thu 21-Apr-16 19:03:56

AnnieGran I think we need to talk about psychopaths more.. much more. so that people understand what can (and does) go on behind closed doors. Well done for speaking out now.

KatyK Thu 21-Apr-16 17:54:46

That I was asked to be a go-go dancer on a national TV pop show in 1965. I was too shy to go - aargh

Spangles1963 Thu 21-Apr-16 17:33:39

That I used to be a rocker headbanger into heavy metal music. I well looked the part with my long,shaggy hair,tight jeans and fringed leather jacket. Anyone who sees a photo of me from those days can barely believe that it's me. In fact,my DP totally refused at first to accept it WAS me! maybe something to do with being several stone slimmer back then

rosesarered Thu 21-Apr-16 16:41:57

Luckygirl watch out for those fiends! grin
My friends would be surprised if I turned down the offer of cake.cupcake

TwiceAsNice Thu 21-Apr-16 09:22:15

Well done AnnieGran I believe you after getting out of a similar situation. There are lots of people who still think my ex is a nice man because he is so plausible in public. Just yesterday I was in a conversation with a close friend who knows the truth and she said someone she knew had just moved next door to him and told her the man next door is really lovely! She of course said nothing.

My friends would probably be surprised to know that I was a leading light in an amateur dramatics society when I was a teenager

morethan2 Wed 20-Apr-16 18:57:56

Lots of you should be really proud and AnnieGran well done you.

cornergran Wed 20-Apr-16 18:55:16

flowers Anniegran. My friends would be surprised if they knew just how anxious I am most of the time and that my apparent confidence is so superficial. I feel sad just thinking about it now.

Jaxie Wed 20-Apr-16 18:49:47

Been sacked twice when I was young & foolish. If I'd employed my younger self after I turned respectable I should have sacked her too!

Juggernaut Wed 20-Apr-16 18:27:43

In my teens I was a bit of a hippy, kaftans, flowers in my hair, flowers drawn on my face with eye shadow sticks.
Nothing that anyone who knows the adult me would recognise.
My best friend, however, has known me since the day we started primary school together, so I don't think there's anything she doesn't know about me!

harrigran Wed 20-Apr-16 18:05:21

AnnieGran, you are one very brave lady flowers

AnnieGran Wed 20-Apr-16 17:55:36

Thank you annsixty, grandMattie and NonnieAnnie.
Yes, I'm going to talk about it now because I have begun to think about it a lot. Even writing about here earlier helped.
Thanks again. x

morethan2 Wed 20-Apr-16 17:38:44

My friends would be surprised if I said No or " just get over yourself", words to that affect. Doormat is my middle name .

Luckygirl Wed 20-Apr-16 17:24:47

My fiends would be surprised.........
... if they arrived at my home and it was tidy!

grannylyn65 Wed 20-Apr-16 16:55:53

That I met Ozzie Osbourne!!

petra Wed 20-Apr-16 16:51:39

One of my relatives was an officer on the Bounty. I got my navigation certificate some years ago. I once gave Glenda Jackson a coffee on my boat and didn't know it was her until someone told me.

marionk Wed 20-Apr-16 15:55:26

Joining the local naturist club (and hating it). Laying naked on the beach at Walberswick, skinny dipping in Brighton - maybe not too remarkable but I had turned 50 before I was confident enough to do these things! I am not confident enough to tell my friends though!!

chloe1984 Wed 20-Apr-16 15:48:50

My friends would be amazed that I once won the school prize for cookery. My family still don't believe it.

Tizliz Wed 20-Apr-16 15:12:28

I stood as a Green candidate back in my 20's. Came second! Don't think that this what my friends now would think I would do, as I dislike public speaking.