Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Help! How do I get rid of this?

(40 Posts)
minimo Wed 20-Apr-16 17:04:29

Earlier I finished my daily two blocks of Bournville (I need to have boundaries or I'd finish the whole chocolate factory). I've just got up to go to the loo and noticed I've dropped a piece which has fallen onto my NEW white shirt and melted. sad I've rubbed it off as best I can but it's being quite defiant. I don't have any stain remover in the house. What can I do in the meantime before it sets?

trisher Fri 29-Apr-16 09:13:01

Sorry, my first thought was 'lick it off' but that says more about me doesn't it!! grin

Bez1989 Fri 29-Apr-16 02:14:45

A bit late....but thank you bellanona for your kind words....xx
Big improvement on the home front now.

Candelle Sat 23-Apr-16 21:45:21

We were in Italy and bought chocolate ice-creams which my husband almost immediately managed to drip down his cream shirt. In desperation, we went into a nearby bar, hoping to ask to use the loo to try and put cold water on the stain. Instead, the barman whizzed out a bottle of sparkling water and gently poured some on the stain. In a matter of moments, the chocolate ice-cream stain vanished. It was as if by magic.

I have not had cause to try this method again but if one is on the move (or even not), this may be a solution (presuming that is, that one can find a handsome Italian helpful barman!).

wot Sat 23-Apr-16 10:46:09

Got the curry stain out! Thanks to Vanish Gold. [not advertising it]

Sheilasue Sat 23-Apr-16 10:28:04

Have your chocolate and enjoy it I have a square of chocolate every night a big thick one from Lidls which is yummy. And use the vanish to get rid of any choc stain I do as I am always dropping bits of chocolate

wot Thu 21-Apr-16 23:53:13

I spilt a blob of curry on my beige cotton trousers today when making lunch for my friends 74 birthday. I have got some vanish gold but was too tired to soak them tonight. They're my favourite trousers too.

Bellanonna Thu 21-Apr-16 22:48:24

To Anya if you're still reading - is it a scapular?

Bellanonna Thu 21-Apr-16 22:45:49

The thing is Bez, Gransnet covers everything. Sorry to hear things are a bit unhappy just now, especially as you've come home from being in hospital. Hope things get better soon x

Bez1989 Thu 21-Apr-16 22:34:15

Oh dear....
Am I being a "cowfacefarta**e"" when my thoughts were "is that all you have to worry about...choccy on a blouse" ?
Mind you I have just come out of hospital to rows with a grumpy hubby.
So... sorry and all that jazz.

harrigran Thu 21-Apr-16 18:31:36

I said white Ana because I have a white terry dressing gown and always manage to spill down the front. If I wear dark clothes I never spill a drop. I now have a selection of red tops for eating in Italian restaurants just in case I fancy something with a tomato sauce.

oldgoat Thu 21-Apr-16 17:57:30

evertheoptimist the yellow poo stains on babies' clothes disappear if you hang them out in the sun to dry.

EmilyHarburn Thu 21-Apr-16 17:37:05

Lots of advice on the internet. You may wish to start here:

4 Ways to Get Rid of Chocolate Stains - wikiHow
www.wikihow.com › ... › Cleaning › Laundry › Clothing Stains
Method 1. Removing Chocolate From Garments. Scrape off any chocolate gently from your piece of clothing. Refrigerate your garment for 10-15 minutes to keep the stain from spreading. Massage laundry detergent or prewash stain remover into the stain. Wash with detergent. Look for residual stains. ETC

www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Chocolate-Stains

Evertheoptimist Thu 21-Apr-16 16:14:04

Washing up liquid! I've just discovered that it get explosive yellow poo out of baby vests (sorry).

Spangles1963 Thu 21-Apr-16 16:01:47

This is exactly why I NEVER wear white clothing!

shysal Thu 21-Apr-16 10:59:06

I love your name Hooty grin. Welcome if you are new.

I agree it is always worth having a Vanish bar in the cupboard. For grease stains I use lighter fluid rubbed in then wash as normal. Glad you have nearly removed the mark, minimo.

HootyMcOwlface Thu 21-Apr-16 10:50:14

Wash immediately and hang out to dry in the sunshine. If there is a bit of a stain left, the sun should bleach it out.

adnil1949 Thu 21-Apr-16 10:40:28

I used to work in a dry cleaners and washing up liquid or household soap are very good for getting most stains out. Just rub in then wash as usual.

Persistentdonor Thu 21-Apr-16 10:32:02

I usually wet a stain with COLD water, and then apply a few drops of washing up liquid. I find that works on most things.

Lilyflower Thu 21-Apr-16 10:10:18

What I do is use Vanish soap or liquid on the stain, rubbing as much as I can away and then put the soiled item in a bucket of COLD water with neat detergent gel or powder directly on all parts of the stain. You can use Vanish powder at this stage but it's so strong it can bleach the fabric. I use 'Colour' gel tabs. Leave it at least 12 hours, preferably longer. Then put in the washing machine.

It's a lottery when you have stained an item of clothing as to whether it can be cleaned but this method has rescued many garments which looked ruined. Sometimes the strength of the detergent can fade the colour of a garment , but then, it would have been ruined by the stain anyway so there's nothing to lose by trying it.

Chocolate is organic and I have yet to fail to get an organic stain out by this method.
Good luck!

Worthingpatchworkers Thu 21-Apr-16 10:00:07

Ladies, did you not realise there is such a thing as adult bibs.....they have designs printed on them such as bow ties and ruffled shirts, Scottish themes and Santa themes....... Or.....just use an ordinary napkin....I've even resorted to a clean tea towel..... I've even created a bib out of a tea cloth.....

minimo Thu 21-Apr-16 09:47:41

Give up chocolate!! Blasphemy Luckygirl grin I'm already down to only 2 squares...

I stupidly had rubbed it in in my attempt to get rid of it but put some washing liquid on (did you mean dishwashing liquid?) and put it in the wash immediately and there's only a VERY tiny faint mark there now you'd really have to search for. Am off to buy a towelling dressing gown for chocolate and curry eating purposes, thanks everyone. flowers

oldgoat Thu 21-Apr-16 09:46:06

Just a bit of toast this morning anya. When OH was still working, his tie used to catch the drips. Tricky to deal with on silk ties. One of my primary school teachers used to refer to food stains as 'canteen medals'.

aggie Thu 21-Apr-16 09:21:39

Is it a Wimple , or a Gorget ?

Anya Thu 21-Apr-16 07:53:18

Visions of you going to bed tonight in a nighty with egg dribbled down the front old goat grin

Brings back memories of being shouted at by Sister Mary Francis and all I could think about was the egg stain on that big white thingmy the nuns wore round their neck and chest.

Anyone know what it was called?

oldgoat Thu 21-Apr-16 07:20:25

Sitting in the sun enjoying a tasty poached egg breakfast at our holiday apartment yesterday. Egg yolk all down the front of my cardi. Managed to get it off eventually with the only things available- washing-up liquid and kitchen paper. Then spent some time picking off the little white balls of paper. Will be eating breakfast wearing my nighty this morning.