Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

holidays

(231 Posts)
patriciaann71 Sun 24-Apr-16 09:34:17

My daughter is paying £120 to take her 5 yr old son out of school for a holiday to Orlando. Another parent at the same school is also taking her two children out of school (same reason) but has confided in a "friend" that she is going to say that they are ill. What does anyone think of this?

NanaandGrampy Fri 29-Apr-16 08:49:04

I agree Trisher . And on that note shall be flying off with our 2 youngest grandsons in 3 days for a holiday in term time !! Of course before everyone's tells me how damaged their education will be they are only 2 and 4 {smile]

But its been a learning experience already , we've talked about air travel , different cultures and geography ( oh and Mickey Mouse )smile

banorapoint2486 Sat 30-Apr-16 04:15:40

I agree with Gillybob. Childen should be allowed to take holidays during term-time. When they are very young it would not interfere with their education too much. Perhaps older children should decide for themselves though. We took our children away on holiday when we wanted to, to get bookings, to avoid crowds of people and to save money on off-season rates.

Lilyflower Sat 30-Apr-16 20:39:59

Just to reiterate my earlier post, I think that term time holidays should be allowed but that teachers should not get the blame when the children fall behind. Children will fall behind. That's a given.

NotSpaghetti Tue 03-May-16 16:28:10

You're right Gillybob - sometimes I just sorted out the funding for a day out! Amazing what joy that can bring for a young person who never goes anywhere or does anything fun with their family - but those days out were usually possible in the holiday periods and didn't involve any time off school. Sometimes it just involved finding busfare and picknic treats (how lucky our own children/grandchildren are).

NotSpaghetti Tue 03-May-16 16:33:42

Of course Harrigran, it's not the fact that these children don't get a day out that makes them disadvantaged - It's their family situations that does it!