Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Postal votes- elections-what should I do next? (if anything)

(12 Posts)
trisher Fri 29-Apr-16 17:06:57

This year for the first time I have a postal vote in next week's elections (purely because caring for GC makes getting to polling station difficult). When I opened my voting papers the slip for voting for the police commissioner was missing. I notified my local council and went in today to get a replacement, but they haven't arrived yet, so a man is bringing me one tomorrow. But I have just spoken to my mum and she insists there was only one voting slip in her envelope and she gave that to her scheme manager to post. The question is should I also report this? Also The man tells me that damaged or lost postal votes will be replaced. This isn't true for Polling Stations is it? If you damage your slip your vote is null and void. Any expert grans out there?

harrigran Fri 29-Apr-16 19:37:39

I have done my postal vote as has DH, there were two voting slips in each envelope. I have never heard of damaged postal votes being replaced, I thought it was just null and void as for polling stations.
There is bound to be someone on here who has worked in this field and will be able to offer advice.

chelseababy Sat 30-Apr-16 16:14:17

If you damage or spoil your vote at the pollingstation and tell the clerk they will give you another form. Do not put the spoiled one in the box!

annodomini Sat 30-Apr-16 17:09:37

Postal votes are opened before the polls close and counted along with the polling station votes. No spoilt or damaged postal vote can possibly be replaced and anyway if they are spoilt, it's usually on purpose, sometimes with very rude messages written on them! It's very inefficient if the returning officer hasn't included the voting paper for the PCC in the envelope. Are you sure this isn't because the position is not being contested? It doesn't give you much time to get the papers back to the RO.

Ana Sat 30-Apr-16 17:16:10

Perhaps he just meant that if the postal vote didn't arrive at your address, or was damaged in some way when it did, you could request a new one.

trisher Sat 30-Apr-16 18:00:50

Possibly. They have said that I will get a new voting pack. They blamed the printers for missing out my paper. They promised me a new one yesterday but when I went to the council office to get it I was told they hadn't arrived. The official promised he would bring one to my house today-but no sign yet. My mother says she will ring the council on Tuesday. Is this a sign that the election is being badly run? I am really not sure

harrigran Sat 30-Apr-16 18:33:22

It is not unknown for skulduggery to be afoot or it could be just that the position is not being contested as anno says.

chelseababy Sun 01-May-16 07:53:50

If time is short you can take your postal vote to your local polling station.

trisher Sun 01-May-16 09:21:02

The position is definitely being contested. Thanks for all the comments. Polling papers have still not arrived. Thanks chelseababy if I can I might have to do that.

JessM Sun 01-May-16 09:57:38

Phone the returning officer in your local council and if you have a preferred candidate you might like to alert them as well. There could be lots of people who have not received both ballot papers.

annodomini Sun 01-May-16 10:42:21

Agree with JessM. The agents of all the candidates should be alterted to this situation which could render the election null and void if it gives voters no time to cast their postal votes. I would be inclined also to notify the Electoral Commission

trisher Sun 01-May-16 13:00:31

Thanks for the advice, I knew GNers would be helpful. I was wondering if I was just making too much of it but I think I do need to follow things through.