Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

I'm so embarrassed

(34 Posts)
Cosafina Mon 20-Jun-16 09:26:48

I'm due to have a colonoscopy today as I keep failing that test they send you when you hit 60 (I.e. I have blood in my poo), so was instructed to start taking special laxatives last night at 6pm then 8pm.
I went to bed around midnight, with all quiet on the western front (if you get my drift), only to wake around 3am... Too late. I put the sheets and mattress protector in the washing machine immediately and they seem to have come up fine, but can anyone please tell me how to clean the mattress? Would one of those steam cleaners do the trick?
It's only 3 years old and super comfy, so I don't want to have to bin it, but rubbing with a damp cloth, with or without soap, doesn't seem to do much.
Apologies for the subject matter blush

harrysgran Wed 22-Jun-16 21:22:23

You could try a mixture of bicarbonate and white vinegar it works on most stains then a hair dryer helps with the drying .

Maggieanne Wed 22-Jun-16 22:07:22

Anniegran, good luck, hope it goes well. No-one wants these tests but we're lucky that we do have them.
I am so glad that people make these posts, it may be one person asking but it can affect a lot of us so thank you to all those brave, embarrassed posters! I've learnt so much by what people discuss on here,some of us might think that we're the only ones with problems, we certainly know now that we're not alone.

Maggieanne Wed 22-Jun-16 22:08:33

Cosafina, so glad everything is ok.

Mardler123 Wed 22-Jun-16 22:34:58

I can back up Kayek's advice. An excellent product which does what it days.

Mardler123 Wed 22-Jun-16 22:36:02

Even what it 'says'.

harrigran Wed 22-Jun-16 23:19:38

I am pleased you are sorted Cosafina and it was a benign polyp.
Good luck hulahoop, I will be thinking of you, you were very kind and thoughtful when I was going through it.
Good luck to you too AnnieGran.

grandmaz Thu 23-Jun-16 08:42:24

AnnieGran, hope that your visit to the BC is reassuring - most lumps are not cancer as you probably know...but of course you are going to feel anxious...anyone would.

Let us know how you get on, won't you? And pencil in a lovely little treat, with a friend, to look forward to immediately after your tests...even if it's just a frothy coffee and a bite to eat.

Thinking of you and of course anyone else who is going through similar times just now...flowers

Persistentdonor Thu 23-Jun-16 18:24:45

Hoping all is well AnnieGran. flowers