Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

I feel so sorry for my lovely granddaughter

(35 Posts)
bobbydog24 Wed 22-Jun-16 13:18:07

My granddaughter is 7 years old and up until about 6 months ago was small for her age, having been born 9 weeks early and always in younger clothes sizes. She has always been a fussy eater and it was an ordeal to get her to eat a full meal. I have looked after her 3 days a week since she was 6 months old and now have her after school each day. She has suddenly grown an appetite and eats everything given to her, always seems hungry and has gone from underweight to chubby in a short time. My daughter doesn't help by buying her MacDonalds at every opportunity.
She used to be a little live wire always running about. At sports day at school the other day she was visibly uncomfortable running races.
My daughter thinks she will lose it all as she gets older but I think she needs to get her eating healthily now before it gets out of hand. I don't want to appear an interfering nanna but I feel so sorry for her because she's outgrowing all her clothes. I take her swimming, and have just enrolled her in bycycle lessons and keep fit to give her some excercise. Am I being a worry wart. My daughter gets a bit defensive if I appear critical of her parenting skills.

Lilyflower Thu 23-Jun-16 11:00:37

Both of my children became overweight despite my ensuring they ate healthy food in reasonable portions. They binged outside of the house where I had no control. Neither of them liked exercise either, again, despite the fact that they were at sporty schools which gave them P.E. and exercise sessions every day.

Their father, who has only just, after 59 years, started putting on a little too much weight, came from a very large family on his mother's side. She, her brother and both parents were stones overweight and when the brother died prematurely he had bowel cancer, diabetes and cirrhosis of the liver, all though overindulgence.

I wonder whether the offspings' embonpoint is a result of DNA since I am relatively skinny and also tried to fight my children's weight gain.

Still, weight gain is not totally irreversible though it is difficult. My DD lost all her puppy fat when she was in the sixth form though she is yo-yoing again now. The DS went up to about 16 stone but has lost a couple of stone through an interest in cooking 'proper' food from scratch.

I would try to do something about the GD's weight now while you have the influence and it's not too late.

GrandmaValerie Thu 23-Jun-16 11:35:45

We were discovered over a (very rare) visit to MacDonalds with GD, when she pointed it out to her mother and then dropped us in the soup. Took ages to live that one down with DD blush, since we dislike MacDonalds, but it was the only place for chips one day with a hungry, grumpy child.

Can you bike and swim with your GD sometimes? That is such fun, and as a not very fit grandma they're the two things I can still do more easily. Any fairly flat cycle trails nearby you can get to?

A swingball is also a good attraction in the garden, no hint of losing weight, just for fun, specially since their parents often had one when they were young.

breeze Thu 23-Jun-16 11:56:42

I wasn't sure if this organisation still existed, so looked it up and it does. There may be one near you. When my boys were born, I already belonged to a health club and they all learnt to swim there as babies and when a bit older they went to FitKids every Saturday morning. They did an hour of swimming, followed by an hour outside if the weather was good, in the hall if it wasn't. They did all sorts of activities and loved it there.

www.fitkid.co.uk/

I had forgotten about it until I was chatting with my husband about your dilemma earlier. He also said that sometimes when you are a parent, you're too close to a situation to see it clearly. So could be your daughter is so focused on the pleasure of seeing her daughter eating well, that she hasn't noticed the pendulum has gone a little bit in the other direction. Good luck.

Bez1989 Thu 23-Jun-16 14:04:38

I agree with smaller plates....maybe for most of us adults too. Lol
Ive "gone on" M&S ready made chunky salads and small boxs of melon chunks and grapes. My appetite has gone for "normal" dinners due to many meds that I take. But that salad meal with a small portion of M&S potato salad and small portion from a small pork pie is lovely.
I could eat it every day.sunshine

grannylyn65 Sun 26-Jun-16 20:45:39

grinthingmajiggrin

CathyAkins Thu 29-Dec-16 04:57:49

I think that it is necessary to care of child eating habits from younger age because later on when child grows up can remain unhealthy and week as compared to others, that can be dangerous so you should better take care of your little one from now onwards.

Annierose Thu 29-Dec-16 10:50:55

Ask for a referral to a paediatric dietician. This is not an unusual problem with pre-term children, and they can give sensible, up-to-dat advice.

Elrel Thu 29-Dec-16 11:13:57

Slimming World do loads of family friendly recipes in their magazines, books and online. I no longer tell my son whether a recipe is SW. The main thing is plenty of vegetables and some fruit each day.
The boarding school menu a poster mentioned earlier sounds a bit carb heavy but maybe the pieces of cake are small!

Lisalou Thu 29-Dec-16 14:36:51

This thread is from june and the op hasnt been back, why bring it back to life if the op is no longer around?