Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Any ideas for fundraising for my granddaughter's operation

(63 Posts)
Katek Sun 10-Jul-16 22:22:53

Has your dgd had the botulinum treatment? Young friend of ours had this with very positive results.

Jalima Sun 10-Jul-16 21:04:13

The Welsh NHS is funding this for a child in Wales.
Here is the link for you, I know about this because it is near where some my family live:

www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/11688009.Caldicot_toddler_will_get_life_changing_op_on_NHS_in_Wales/
www.itv.com/news/wales/2015-04-05/three-year-old-imogen-walks-unaided-after-pioneering-operation-funded-by-the-nhs/

I do hope that NICE will approve this operation for children in England too.

Good luck

granjura Sun 10-Jul-16 20:56:39

Another idea is to get in touch with the biggest private health care group, who has taken over Bupa, called Spire - and see if they could perform the op at one of their hospitaly at a special price:

granjura Sun 10-Jul-16 20:43:24

TheMaggieane- I am so sorry ot hear this.

And wouldn't Gransnet be a perfectly wonderful place to start. I'd be happy to chip in.

Could GN admin facilitate this, once TheMaggie has sent a medical confirmation of the case. Sorry TheMaggie- but sadly as a new poster it is important thatn admin check this first.

harrigran Sun 10-Jul-16 20:29:50

My understanding was that 120 children a year get the operation on NHS in five centres in the UK. It is a big ask to raise £50,000.

TheMaggiejane1 Sun 10-Jul-16 19:04:43

I've forwarded the funding link to my daughter to have a look at Nellie, one of the charities mentioned the operation we are trying to fund so that might be hopeful. I think they are having a jumble trail in our area soon shysal so I will look into that - goodness knows what I'd sell though! Might have to rent out my OH - for odd jobs, not other things obviously!

shysal Sun 10-Jul-16 18:21:28

If you have a good local community spirit, how about copying The Archers and having a Jumble Trail? I thought it sounded like a good idea as each household is responsible for their own stall, and help with organizing is given via the website.
www.jumbletrail.com/

Nelliemoser Sun 10-Jul-16 18:10:55

Themaggiejane1 have a good look at these organisations/

www.disability-grants.org/funding-for-medical-treatments.html

There are a lot of links on this page to work through. I hope they help.

TheMaggiejane1 Sun 10-Jul-16 17:37:38

Thank you for your ideas ladies, I hadn't though of the Waitrose bins cornergran , I will chase that one up! Thank you very much for your support maggie, you are right she is gorgeous, she is an inspiration to us all, always so cheerful and happy. I will have a look at the fundraising website, they must be something on it I can do! I am going to give some fundraising dinner parties using GD's favourite foods ( Mackerel Pate, sausages and apple crumble, hopefully I'll be able to add a few twists to make it a bit more sophisticated!) the idea is that if I have one, my guests then go away and have one and then their guests have one as well etc!

cornergran Sun 10-Jul-16 16:52:34

Waitrose agreed to have one of the donation bins that customers put their tokens in for the son of a friend, his need was to go to America for surgery. I'm not sure what else she did to fundraise, I'll ask her when I can. Waitrose were very helpful, they don't insist on registered charity status or have any particular focus. I believe Asda do something similar, but not sure. Good luck maggiejane, its so hard when our grandchildren need something we can't provide.

Mumsy Sun 10-Jul-16 16:30:21

what about a local sponsored walk, your local newspaper may be able to help with the advertising. A garage sale.

this site may give you some ideas

cafod.org.uk/Fundraise/A-Z-of-fundraising-ideas?gclid=CKjI14ab6c0CFdYy0wodN9MI5w

I wish you every success.

Maggiemaybe Sun 10-Jul-16 16:23:17

I wish I could help, from one Maggie to another smile, but I've no experience of fundraising on this scale. No doubt others who can be of more use will be on shortly. If you do come up with anything I can help with in any way at all, just give me a shout. I'm sure other Gransnetters would be up for helping out too if they can. Your granddaughter is just gorgeous and I hope and pray she has her chance and it pays off for her. flowers

TheMaggiejane1 Sun 10-Jul-16 14:28:59

My lovely granddaughter is 6 years old and has cerebral palsy. She cannot walk at all unaided and we have been told that her only chance of walking is an operation called Selective Dorsal Rhizotomy. Great Ormand Street Hospital will do this operation in March but unfortunately it is not done on the NHS. It's not considered a priority apparently! We have started up a Just Giving page and people are incredibly kind and generous but we need to come up with some more fund raising ideas as we have to raise £50,000! Has any one else got any experience of fundraising on such a large scale?
crowdfunding.justgiving.com/BellasWish