Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Why are old people so selfish?

(86 Posts)
AllYoungPeople Wed 20-Jul-16 01:38:21

You make us pay for education, while your pensions and NHS spending increase. You made houses unaffordable.

Now you take us out of the EU and destroy the future WE wanted for ourselves.

Thanks. Thanks so much.

Shanma Fri 07-Oct-16 23:53:57

I just wonder why, when a post like this ridiculous, bigoted, and immature one appears that anyone bothers to respond. Would it not be better to simply not give any replies thus not giving the poster the attention they crave?

Wobblybits Fri 07-Oct-16 09:10:01

This is an instance where GNHQ should be able to close a thread and prevent further posts without deleting it.

rosesarered Fri 07-Oct-16 09:05:39

Let this thread die......quietly wither away.

TerriBull Fri 07-Oct-16 09:01:20

The OP never came back once to defend his/her allegations, just made a number of sweeping statements and went confused

Wobblybits Fri 07-Oct-16 08:48:39

The OP has long gone.

Casawan Fri 07-Oct-16 08:46:11

OP, does that huge chip on your shoulder hurt? Is your truly awful ignorance holding you back? Have you broken the plate on which you expect life's goodies to be handed to you? Are you simply bored, or are you stupid? Try accepting responsibility for your own life. But why would you do that when it's so much easier to blame others?

DaphneBroon Fri 07-Oct-16 07:40:55

Why has this been revived?
Even you response jenpax which I can't take issue with per se is nothing to do with OP's entitled bleating
I thought it had sunk without trace - and good riddance angry

jenpax Fri 07-Oct-16 07:31:54

Unfortunately people have confused the effect of the Governments "austerity" programme with that of immigration! Most of the hardships people experience , unaffordable housing, under investment in education and health cuts to social services etc are NOT down to immigration but are direct policy decisions by a party obsessed with deficit reduction at the expense of any thing else! it's worth remembering it wasn't Polish cleaners and Latvian Dentists who brought our banking sector to it's knees but our home grown city chancers!

Eloethan Sun 24-Jul-16 20:05:49

I agree BlueBelle. My experience is that Polish and Eastern European children in general are well mannered, cheerful and eager to learn, and their parents do the best they can for them. No doubt there are a few who do not fit this description, but then there are also indigenous British children and parents who don't either.

BlueBelle Sat 23-Jul-16 22:20:57

Oh dear what an unpleasant post about Polish kids they are all the high achievers in my grandkids school and speak better English than many locals

Diversity is the only thing that will make this bleak future of ours any better

Tegan Fri 22-Jul-16 14:55:53

Isn't this the sort of thing that central government had promised extra finance for?

Elrel Fri 22-Jul-16 14:33:30

Kate - are your children who voted leave happy at the result? How do they see the future now?

Elrel Fri 22-Jul-16 14:30:36

TAs are now expected to teach and test vowel digraphs and other irrelevancies. They used to support children in actually reading books for pleasure and information.
OP - for what it's worth I'm 76 and like almost all the older people I know voted remain, together with just under half the population at large.

Elrel Fri 22-Jul-16 14:25:17

Kate - of the 3 Polish teenage boys I taught (in a group of recently arrived young people from 3 continents) 2 had spoken and written English better than most UK teenagers. The other boy's English was average for UK. They were also courteous and respectful. Polish parents are traditionally keen for their children to work hard and make the most of education.

suzied Fri 22-Jul-16 13:22:44

I feel for anyone working in overstretched schools who are being asked to do more whilst being given less, this isn't the fault of Polish children is it? Why are just white boys affected? What about poor white girls? Or black boys? Black girls? Or poor Asian children ? What about them.? Shouldn't they all be being supported?

rubylady Fri 22-Jul-16 13:19:41

Did I blame my parents for the mines closing down in the '80's when Maggie was in power? No, of course not. I was 19 years old in 1983 when all this was going on. And stealing the milk.

path20 Fri 22-Jul-16 13:18:31

I am sick and tired of being called selfish and ignorant because I used my democratic right to vote. I voted to join the EU and I have voted to leave. If you don't like the result then that's unfortunate.
There may be tough times ahead but all will come right in the end.We all have to work together to achieve this. Think positive! Onwards and upwards.

rubylady Fri 22-Jul-16 13:16:03

Bella yes, I know that, I think I was just sounding out loud as I get this from my lovely darling son who blames me personally for everything wrong with the World today. I am so sure that at 19 years old I was more mature than that and took responsibility for my own actions by then.

Wouldn't parenting be wonderful if you could iron out mistakes that you made and start over from the beginning? I certainly would have learnt the word "NO" more and not given them all my time only to be told now that I have never cared. Kids eh?

KateG Fri 22-Jul-16 13:10:26

Just wondering who the WE are that you refer to. Presumably remainers rather than younger voters. If it is the latter,not all young voters wanted to remain. two of my three children voted to leave.
They both teach in inner city schools, as did I in another world. Thus, they were able to see that the educational prospects of poor white boys has deteriorated even further since mass immigration from Eastern Europe. Teaching assistants that once helped children with literary skills are now employed to teach English to the children from Poland etc, whose parents can't be bothered to teach them even the rudiments of the language before depositing them in schools.
You may not bother about this particular demographic, but we do. Far more than I do your desire to work abroad; an option not denied to you, if you bother to acquire necessary skills and learn the language.

Daisyanswerdo Thu 21-Jul-16 13:39:43

Born before W W II. Went without a lot of things in my childhood.

Now live on a state pension.

Voted to remain.

FarNorth Thu 21-Jul-16 13:38:22

No sign of AllYoungPeople coming back to chat to us. Maybe they've all gone off to get a life.

Bluecat Thu 21-Jul-16 12:46:02

Well, it's a kid...Being provocative is what kids do. They like the attention. No point arguing with them.

I once wasted a whole afternoon arguing with my nephew (then in his very early 20s) about the impact of the 1960s. He thought it was all over-rated and meant nothing. I tried to get him to understand how different his world was, because of social changes that developed in the 60s, such as the impact of feminism, the decriminalisation of homosexuality, the changing attitudes to racism, divorce, illegitimacy...He couldn't see it and I couldn't get through to him, so I gave up. No use arguing with kids. Just give them time to grow up.

Bellanonna Thu 21-Jul-16 08:13:42

He's not real ruby ! He's just a rather inadequate person who gets off on watching grans getting angry. Don't fall for it and hopefully he'll just fade away and take his mischief somewhere else.

rubylady Thu 21-Jul-16 03:40:02

I actually agree with him, I am selfish. I deserve it. I have thought of other people all my life, looking after everyone else since I was 11 years old, so yes, call me selfish all you want, I am busy doing my own thing, for me.

With regard to putting house prices up, then we started with a tiny house that we could afford and not a five bedroom detached, like some want these days. I didn't vote to leave or stay, I was too ill to care to be honest at the time. Some things will always be out of our control anyway but then the young have to learn these things yet.

Don't go to university then, get an apprenticeship, be paid for learning, this is more than one way to get a career. Join the army or other services. Use your noggin!

And I am too young to have a pension, a baby on here at 51 years young still (until Saturday grin).

Stop blaming everyone else for your life, get out there and do something about it. And I don't mean just going out looking for Pokémon. Get a job, pay your way, listen to the older generations, you might learn something.

aquagran Wed 20-Jul-16 23:27:51

Don't rise to this!