Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Why are old people so selfish?

(85 Posts)
AllYoungPeople Wed 20-Jul-16 01:38:21

You make us pay for education, while your pensions and NHS spending increase. You made houses unaffordable.

Now you take us out of the EU and destroy the future WE wanted for ourselves.

Thanks. Thanks so much.

FarNorth Wed 20-Jul-16 03:21:18

Welcome, AllYoungPeople. It's an honour to have you all on here, in your millions.

Didn't some of you vote for Leave, at all? I voted for Remain.

absent Wed 20-Jul-16 03:59:06

It would take several pages to refute your absurd generalisations AllYoungPeople – such an arrogant name – and I haven't the time to write them. I rather doubt whether many Gransnetters would bother to read them. Nearly all, if not all, Gransnetters have one or more generations of young people in their lives, by no means all of them related, about whose futures and present well-being they care passionately.

I suggest you view the media with a pinch of salt in future and check both sources and facts, clearly something your costly tertiary education – an expense that most of my generation abhors – has failed to teach you.

durhamjen Wed 20-Jul-16 05:58:43

I think you'll find it's middle aged people who have done that.
But never mind, to someone as young as you we're all the same.
We were young once. You will be old sooner than you think.
Who will you blame then?

suzied Wed 20-Jul-16 06:00:57

Allyoungpeople - really? Sweeping generalisations or what? When we were younger less than 10% school leavers went to uni- so not that many of us benefitted from free higher education. Now it's more like 40% - and it wasn't me who made you pay for it thanks, it was a government I didn't vote for. I have children who are paying off student debt and I've hat to help them from my not huge salary as a teacher to get by. When I first had kids we lived above a shop in a grotty flat no fridge, washing machine or TV, it wasn't shangri la, so young people shouldn't imagine we have all lived in luxury throughout our lives. We had it hard when we were starting out just like you. We didn't expect it all at once. I now have a pension, it's ok but not a fortune and I'm still baling out my kids and looking after my grandchildren, so I'm not swanning around in a sports car or on a perpetual cruise or whatever media stereotype you care to believe. And I bothered to vote and voted remain, thanks a bunch.

durhamjen Wed 20-Jul-16 06:07:30

Ialso cannot recall blaming my parents or grandparents for the situation I was in.

BBbevan Wed 20-Jul-16 06:29:27

There is a song " me me me me me me " which I dedicate to allyoungpeople I need say no more

Anya Wed 20-Jul-16 06:31:03

There's another thread where this young discontent is venting his spleen.

Anya Wed 20-Jul-16 06:34:55

Actually there are several of them..

Wonder if he'll come back and respond when he emerges from his bed about lunch time?

kittylester Wed 20-Jul-16 06:48:57

School holidays - bless!!

Greenfinch Wed 20-Jul-16 06:51:01

And we didn't have mobile phones and other high tech things too numerous to mention.As children we did not have the luxury of foreign holidays,proms and a wardrobe full of clothes. I too voted Remain for the sake of my children and grandchildren. Please don't generalise.

morethan2 Wed 20-Jul-16 06:52:01

I've been joking that I'm the only person I know who voted remain. What's genuinely shocked me is 1) the age of those people I've spoken to who voted out. All of them under 40. I asked my hairdresser yesterday she must be under 30, my own children and their spouses their friends 2) what's really really shocked me is their reason. To a man everyone of them told me it was immigration. They all said they often felt overwhelmed by E.U immigrants where they lived. They blamed immigration on the decline in services. It's made me realise how out of touch I am and worse still how out of touch our politicians are. Their feelings may or may not be true but the fact that they feel they are ignored by our politicians explains why they voted the way they did. It's useless now me telling them that I think their wrong. The really scary thing is what's going to happen when all the promises made by the exit politicians are not met. How will those disillusioned voters react then. Look at what's happening with the raise of Donald Trump type of politician. As for your feeling AllYoungPeople you should have campaigned harder. It's no use stamping your little feet saying " it's not my fault, he/ she did it" don't make assumptions. We have enough politicians who do that and that's is why we're out. They assumed the majority of the population would vote to stay. They were wrong as are you.

durhamjen Wed 20-Jul-16 06:52:53

HE's obviously not up yet! Unlike all of us oldies who have stolen his future.

BlueBelle Wed 20-Jul-16 06:56:48

I voted to REMAIN , I never went to university I never had any opportunities to own my home until I was middle aged I never had a holiday until I was in my late 30 s I didn't own a telephone until I was over 30 I made a lot of sacrifices to bring my children up to a decent standard Not sure what I ve done to upset any young person Thats very ignorant generalisation allyoungpeople maybe we could say all young people drink too much stay in bed all day and are lazy and disrespectful but that would be a massively untrue generalisation also ....My advice GROW UP

TerriBull Wed 20-Jul-16 07:14:57

Hey maybe you should check out some of the threads relating to the childcare that is requested, or even demanded from some of the grandparents on this site, particularly when a percentage of those GPs are not in the best of health. A very recent one outlined a request for a week's child caring of a one year old so the couple could float off unemcumbered to Barbados shock I think I speak for many here but I can't imagine too many of us putting in that sort of request to our generation of parents. If you have perused GN for sometime you would also note how many give up their time caring for grandchildren whlst parents work and how much money we lend or even give to our own children to bail them out financially. Again, the majority of us would not have received help such as this from our parents, I know I certainly didn't.

obieone Wed 20-Jul-16 07:17:40

There are about another 3 threads started like this.

TerriBull Wed 20-Jul-16 07:37:03

Whilst not wishing to blanket an age demographic quite the way you have, you clearly have no idea of the input this generation have in supporting the younger generation with childcare and sometimes the attitude from some young parents in their expectations of how hands on grandparents are expected to be is audacious. I didn't expect anything of my parents in this respect, I took the view that it was my decision to have my children, not my parents.

As others have said here we didn't grow up with many of the technological trappings that your generation have. Our expectations and sense of entitlement were not as evident as they are today.

TerriBull Wed 20-Jul-16 07:41:32

As you speak for your entire generation Allyoungpeople, as your user name suggests, perhaps you could throw some light on why 1/3rd of them coudn't be arsed to vote in the Referendum. As you have started threads all over the place, the least you could do is respond to some of the points raised.

mumofmadboys Wed 20-Jul-16 07:50:35

When you get up that is!!

absent Wed 20-Jul-16 07:55:57

Trip, trap, trip, trap, over the rackety bridge, perhaps?

Indinana Wed 20-Jul-16 08:04:43

I'm having trouble understanding why you lay all the blame for these things at the door of the 'old people'? Yes, these things have happened while we've been around. And while anyone over the age of 30 has been around. But if you insist it's our fault because we've been around the longest, then let's consider the other things that have come along in that time that you can thank us for:

-Computers
-Tablets
-Mobile phones
-Smart Phones
-Social Media
-Instant messaging - we had to actually phone our friends' landlines, and one of their parents would answer the phone. Or we had to go to their house and actually knock on their door to speak to them.
-Xbox
-Play station
-Sat navs
-Colour TV - in fact any TV!
-Satellite TV with 100s of channels, 24/7 - we had 2 channels if we were lucky enough to have parents who could afford a TV
-Digital cameras - can you imagine having to take a roll of film to the chemist and waiting 5 days to pick up an envelope of 24 photos, most of which were poor quality anyway?
-Cheap flights and foreign holidays (I didn't even go abroad until I was 39)

And many, many more technological advances which your entitled generation just take for granted. Perhaps we could have some appreciation for all these things that enrich your poor little lives?

Christinefrance Wed 20-Jul-16 09:07:48

Whilst I deplore the message content I am surprised at the depth of feeling in younger people over the Brexit. My young adult grandchildren stayed up to check the results of the referendum and were very well informed about the details. We do need the younger generation to participate in running the country and not opt out. These messages are clearly not the way forward but perhaps we need to work at a solution together instead of the blame game.

Maranta Wed 20-Jul-16 09:08:19

I think you have chosen your name badly AYP. The young people I know are far more knowledgeable and open minded than you.

Bellanonna Wed 20-Jul-16 09:13:31

Absent, that's exactly what I thought when I read it in the middle of the night and I just couldn't take it seriously enough to get angry. And I voted remain.

sunseeker Wed 20-Jul-16 09:27:41

His Mummy probable told him he had to tidy his room before he could play Pokemon Go and now he is having a sulk grin