Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Conservatory floor

(32 Posts)
Judthepud2 Mon 01-Aug-16 20:33:16

We put down a beautiful real wood floor in our new sunroom. Dog, GCs, DH and DD3s stiletto heels have left it, shall we say .... distressed. It does come up lovely when I can get everyone out of the way and give it a really good wash and polish. That lasts about 10 mins. ?

In retrospect I think tiles and underfloor heating would be the best choice.

Jalima Mon 01-Aug-16 20:15:01

I would not have had a real wood floor if I still had dogs.

A friend has tiles with underfloor heating and the heat seems to come through the tiles well.

hildajenniJ Mon 01-Aug-16 20:09:09

Ours is tiled too. It's a very small conservatory, more a glorified porch really. We've squeezed in a table and two chairs, some pot plants and staging for tender plants. Here's a photo of the floor.

Jalima Mon 01-Aug-16 20:05:01

We have a wooden floor with under floor heating.
However! I said in the first place that wood is not a good conductor of heat (nobody listened), so whilst it is pleasant, it is not enough on a chilly winter's day but very nice to sit on with the DGD doing puzzles.
Because the wood is real wood, not a laminate, it does tend to mark a bit where the dining chairs are and I realised it had changed colour because it is darker under the rug!!

However! I still like it very much.

Katek Mon 01-Aug-16 20:03:13

We inherited a wood effect laminate floor in our sun room. We just put a large rug down in the centre and feel we have the best of both worlds. Ds/dil have real wood floor and are paranoid about toys being dragged across it - seems to mark/debt very easily. Don't know if that's any help.

whitewave Mon 01-Aug-16 20:02:21

Ours is tiled, largely because we have muddy dog paws to deal with and tiles makes it much easier.

cornergran Mon 01-Aug-16 19:42:58

We're making changes and will need a new conservatory floor. It would really help to know what has worked for you and what hasn't. It will be a fairly large conservatory with access to the garden, a dining table and chairs and a comfy seating area. We're going round in circles. Please help before murder is committed grin.