Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Dress circle dress code?

(53 Posts)
EllenT Wed 03-Aug-16 15:53:32

We have tickets next week for the Vaudeville theatre, London, in the dress circle, courtesy of a good offer from Senior Railcard. Not having been to the London theatre for decades, I wonder what the dress code is now? I'm not a great one for posh frocks, and also would prefer not to have to take a special outfit.

Witzend Sat 06-Aug-16 09:22:11

We go to London theatres quite a lot - people wear all sorts, though probably mostly what I'd call smart- casual But you could honestly go in jeans and not feel out of place. Ditto the sort of dress or whatnot you might wear to a smart restaurant.

We also went not long ago to a Classic FM concert at the Albert Hall - it was packed and the vast majority were dressed as above. But there were two girls very done up and wearing strappy evening-type dresses - nobody else in the whole place was wearing anything of the sort. I think they must have felt a mite out of place, though maybe they just enjoyed dressing up. I hope so.

Disgruntled Sat 06-Aug-16 09:24:48

Oh, wow, Greyduster, did you see the two Sirs?

Neversaydie Sat 06-Aug-16 09:24:52

Such a shame people don't bother much any more.Had read that people dressed up for the opera in Vienna so took long (jersey) dress and jacket for DH.Neednt have bothered ,though it made evening more special for us
Went to Covent Garden last Oct for my birthday and wore my best frock as did accompanying DD.Very varied range of clothes. The only place I have seen people really dressed up was in the posh seats at the opera in Verona Evening dress and diamonds
obviously if trip to theatre is at the end of long day sightseeing this may not be feasible

CannyGranny Sat 06-Aug-16 09:30:29

We recently went to The Royal Albert Hall and DH wore a suit (no tie) and I wore a nice dress,heels and jewellery but although a few were similarly dressed most were in normal day clothes jeans etc. Such a shame cos it's nice to make a bit of an effort. People don't seem to bother at all!

Skweek1 Sat 06-Aug-16 09:30:58

You can't go wrong with smart casual, but above all, be comfortable!

cangran Sat 06-Aug-16 11:15:33

I'm going to the theatre tonight and as it could be hot in an old London theatre, will be wearing comfortable, smart casual layers. The only people I really notice very dressed up are American tourists!

HannahLoisLuke Sat 06-Aug-16 11:23:09

If going to the opera or the ballet I think it's appropriate to dress up a bit, though not the full evening gown and jewels these days. For anything else smart casual is fine. I do draw the line at jeans and tee shirt unless it's a rock concert or comedy show.
Maybe I'm old fashioned but I believe in dressing for the occasion.

mich777 Sat 06-Aug-16 11:57:31

Hi Ellen,

Brilliant question and one I ask myself all the time before I go out to special do's or even for a meal.

I always like to be comfortable and a bit glamorous.

Black with lots of high end looking Jewelry is often what I choose and a removable jacket or often a nice shawl over a sleeveless dress can look very elegant and stunning in a bright colour and easily taken on or off and worn as a scarf or shawl.

It's nice to make the effort on behalf of the performers who have put years of effort into the performance we all see in say hour and a half we are there. I think the performers really appreciate this gesture from an audience too.

Wishing you a wonderful time.

brenh34 Sat 06-Aug-16 12:05:26

As an ex-Londoner, I would say that the Ballet and Opera are the only times to push the boat out clothes wise on the basis that if you can afford the tickets, then you should dress to impress (the other theatre goers, the cast cannot see the audience from the stage during the performance).
As we now live in the Midlands, I go to the live satellite performances of Shakespeare plays, ballet and opera all from the comfort of our local cinema at £15 a seat, bargain; and I can wear exactly what I want with no worries about being over or under-dressed.

Lozzamas Sat 06-Aug-16 12:15:49

I work in Covent Garden and go to the theatre a lot. I like to dress up but most tickets these days go to students or office workers who go straight from lectures or work to the theatre, last week I was there with 5 mins to spare to meet DH. Consequently most people like me will be in their work attire, for me that's jeans and a tee shirt. If I were coming from home I'd wear a skirt and heels or smart trousers - but the majority of the audiences get off coaches they have spent all day on, coming down from 'up North ' with several casual stops en route or they're popping in on their way home from work or lectures, so ordinary west end office attire is the norm. I was flabbergasted when I started working there and was told I was overdressed in a skirt and blouse - most "trendy" offices media, IT etc. Now wear jeans and all look like mature students. Same goes for restaurants up west, I was mortified when we had a gathering at the Dorchester and everyone was in Jeans. I'd always wear a reasonable day dress or skirt or smart trousers at a push to a west end restaurant. We've done Joel Robecheon, the Ivy, the Wolesley etc. with everyone in jeans straight from the office too. It's West End uniform, apparently.

Candelle Sat 06-Aug-16 13:11:51

For the run of the mill theatre, anything goes nowadays (I remember when we 'dressed' to go to a theatre but not any more!). The Vaudeville is not a particularly dressy theatre. .

With regard to the ballet or opera it rather depends on your seats. The better seats often do have more glamorous bottoms in them - cocktail dresses etc.

As has been said, theatres, on a hot humid evening sometimes cannot cope and their air conditioning seems to be switched off! Wear layers so you can add/remove as necessary.

I have just realised you will be seeing Martin Shaw..... I might just join you!!

Wishing you a very enjoyable evening.

chrissyh Sat 06-Aug-16 17:09:00

I think what people wear, as with anywhere you go these days, goes from jeans and t-shirt to more formal clothes. I go to the theatre quite often, including the ballet, and have never seen anybody in a ball gown and tiara. I would be more embarrassed to turn up like that than wearing jeans. Just something comfortable, though I usually get quite hot so wear a light top and a cardigan or light jacket.

Djson Sat 06-Aug-16 17:32:52

I'm from the US. Don't know how I found this group but it's pretty cool. Can't imagine wearing a tiara unless I was a queen, princess or getting married. I didn't realize there was such a big cultural difference. I hope I get to come there sometime.

1974cookie Sat 06-Aug-16 17:37:01

In my experience, there is no dress code for the Theatres in London.
Wear what you feel comfortable in Ellen, but please bear in mind that London theatres are VERY warm and stuffy as I have discovered on several occasions. I have worn a sleeveless dress to the Theatre in Winter because anything else would be too hot and uncomfortable to wear once inside. I always take a wrap with me 'just in case', but it normally sits on top of my handbag, redundant.
Have a wonderful time Ellen smile

Kittye Sat 06-Aug-16 17:46:31

Ellen are you going to see Hobsons Choice? If so you are in for a real treat. I agree with others nobody "dresses up" anymore. Have a great evening smile

Alishka Sat 06-Aug-16 20:14:01

I'd assumed Hobsons Choice too. Enjoy !
I'd an old actress friend, sadly passed away a few years ago at 86, and she learned her trade at RADA back when, pre war. She was still tutoring young thespians well into her 80s! She had the most beautifully modulated voice I've ever heard.
She and I went to see a young student of hers who was performing the young boy in The Snowman at a local Birmingham theatre.
A quick look round the audience in the (packed) theatre, elicited the comment from her that times had changed -and not for the better, always. There was no sense of occasion in dressing for it, and it made her sad.
Certainly, at the vaudeville, a big hint is in the name? Remember andrew Sachs ?
Me, tho, I started my long affair with the theatre by sitting up in the gods every time the Rep.changed its programme. 1/6 it was. Just my pricegrin

EllenT Sat 06-Aug-16 21:04:26

Yes, we're seeing Hobson's Choice, and very much looking forward to it. Part of a few days staying in Bloomsbury, haven't had a London trip together for a year or two, so lots of old favourite haunts to reacquaint ourselves with.

Alishka Sat 06-Aug-16 22:19:38

ellen, I envy you,smile

M0nica Sun 07-Aug-16 09:43:19

I went to the theatre dressed casually but coolly, on Friday and no one was dressed up. We went to see Showboat at the New London Theatre and had a wonderful time.

Despite rave reviews it is coming off in the next few weeks. DD, a regular theatre goer, said no show in London can really pull in audiences unless it has a celeb in the star role. This show doesn't. Just brilliant singers/dancers/actors, a stunning set and not a single song that isn't a show stopper. DD also said she has had several shows spoilt for her by really good casts etc having to 'carry' a star who really cannot sing, dance or act but brings in audience.

How sad that new talent cannot get through and audiences are so undiscriminating that they will only see a show if they recognise a name from tv on the bill.

annifrance Sun 07-Aug-16 09:45:48

In the past Covent Garden Opera House was always black tie and evening dress in Orchestra Stalls, as was Glyndebourne. I loved dressing up for it, but wouldn't want to do it all the time. personally I would rather be overdressed that under dressed. Smart casual seems to be the norm nowadays and I'm happy to go with that. I am fortunate in that in the past I have been given or inherited some very nice 'real' jewellry - not the bling sort - and that will always up grade any outfit - even jeans. Posh frocks can also be very comfortable and jeans can be decidedly uncomfortable after a few hours. I'm still happy to put up with a bit of discomfort in order to look good. Do what you want.

Greyduster Sun 07-Aug-16 10:33:13

Sorry disgruntled I didn't see your post yesterday we were travelling all day. Yes, indeed, the two Sirs, and they were absolutely brilliant, although about ten minutes in Sir Ian had to take a discreet prompt, but the rest of his performance was as polished as you'd expect. 'No Man's Land' is hard work; not a lot of framework to hang the wonderful language on, but it was riveting.

Mypennyfarthing41 Sun 07-Aug-16 10:54:07

I have a book written by an old fleet Street columnist about dress. Basically, she says that as long as you have a good haircut, wear decent perfume, have great earings and good shoes you could wear a sack ,,, well cut of course and go almost anywhere.
Any thoughts on where to buy a well cut sack anyone.

Lillie Mon 08-Aug-16 12:12:22

I think many of you enjoy theatre. If you are in London the V&A museum has a free show all about theatrical performances, sets, costumes etc. You just turn up and queue. Brilliant!

EllenT Mon 15-Aug-16 11:26:46

Just reporting back. Silk t shirt and best jeans were fine. Hobson's Chice was great fun, and the Vaudevilles's aircon surprisingly effective on a sticky evening.

Elrel Mon 15-Aug-16 12:09:54

Glad you enjoyed it! I remember going in a long dress to a tiny theatre in North Wales, in the '80s.
Alishka. Birmingham Rep in the old Station Street building? Happy days in the late '50s watching a very young Albert Finney! We were in the 6th form, uniform all day so doubtless we wore our best, certainly not jeans or any kind of trousers!