Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Am I an idiot?

(60 Posts)
phoenix Sat 13-Aug-16 19:47:03

Evening all, was in a bit of a tizz the other day, having had some bad news and was trying to park in the town square.

Saw a space that I thought I should be able to get in to, even though one of the cars was parked badly, but of course, no, I couldn't. blush ended up scraping a car (and of course mine) went round, found somewhere else to park.

Jumped out, didn't really look at the damage to the other car, but wrote a note of apology, added my name & phone number & tucked it under the windscreen wiper.

The lady owner duly phoned, thanked me for my honesty and said she would get an estimate for the repair, and email it to me.

Mr P was able to deal with the scratches on my car with a bit of T Cut and some elbow grease. The estimate to sort out the scratch to her car is £260 shock!

No point putting it through my insurance, as my excess is only £200 sad

I have asked her to get another quote/estimate, but somehow have the feeling that the next one might be even higher, as she has indicated that the place she got the first quote from are very reputable!

PS Anyone who responds to the question in the OP saying that yes, I AM an idiot for trying to get into the space will be awarded the "stating the bleeding obvious" medal, and also branded as a not nice person.

annodomini Sun 14-Aug-16 13:45:08

It happened to me the other way round. My car was reversed into by an idiot in a Porsche at a T-junction. He admitted it was his fault and I duly sent him a quote from my garage - an honest one. No response, so next time I passed his house I put a copy through his letter box. After that, one of my colleagues at the CAB phoned him for me and he said I was trying it on. I then submitted a written report on the incident to my local police station who forwarded it to Thames Valley Police who sent an officer round to see him. He settled! Turned out that the car was a courtesy car from the Porsche dealers and he didn't know how to handle it. Moron!

phoenix Sun 14-Aug-16 14:07:33

Thank you all for the posts, appreciated as always.

I have emailed her saying that a second quote might be an idea, but I won't force the issue.

I have LOADS of business suits that I will never wear again, and could do with them gone, partly because it would free up quite a bit of wardrobe space, but I have never sold anything on eBay, plus they were in the house before I gave up smoking blush and many of them are dry clean only.

GandTea Sun 14-Aug-16 14:38:22

Be careful Pheonix, what you get from eBay could be less than the cost of cleaning. You can look at similar items and see what they sold for using the advanced search option.

HootyMcOwlface Sun 14-Aug-16 16:32:37

My friend has done something similar reversing her car. The damage to the other car didn't look all that bad, she said, but the repair bill is similar! Seems that what it costs nowadays! Sorry for your bad luck, it could happen to anyone! X

NotSpaghetti Sun 14-Aug-16 17:24:36

We spent nearly £200 on a key-scratch on ours. This was with a small paint shop we had used before who is cheaper than the dealership.

Lilylilo Mon 15-Aug-16 08:06:52

You did the right thing

Neversaydie Mon 15-Aug-16 08:44:57

Worth getting another quote but it doesn't sound excessive to me I've used a company who come and do it on your drive in the past Long dent/scratch Was about £160 I think But it was a while ago .
're your suits You can buy sheets to do DIY clean in your tumble dryer if you just want to freshen them up.I just gave all my business suits to charity (many of them have dry cleaner who clean for free for them)

auntbett Wed 17-Aug-16 10:57:51

Someone scratched, or rather gouged, my car door in the parking area at work. No-one owned up! The cost of repair was £350 because although it looked to me to be a fairly easy job to put right, it turned out that once the skin of the paintwork is broken then it is more difficult to rectify. I had three quotes for the job and this was the cheapest. Maybe you're not being conned.

Greyduster Wed 17-Aug-16 11:34:37

When I was working, I reversed my car out of my parking space and into the back of a Volvo that was parked outside the building opposite ours. He wasn't in a parking space. I went in and identified the owner and he came out and had a look. Having first rubbed off all the dirt and muck, he said "oh, it's just a scuff, it'll probably polish out. I'll give it a wash when I get home and have a proper look". I couldn't see anything other than a scuff either. My Primera had a dent! Anyway, a week later, I get a letter from his insurance company putting the damage at £7,000!!! The damage they outlined couldn't possibly have been caused by the impact from my car. I couldn't believe it and there ensued a vigorous and ill tempered exchange of correspondence between me and his insurance company, with my insurance company, who I was then obliged to bring in, sitting in the middle doing bugger all except twiddle their thumbs and look the other way! Oddly enough I came across the letters the other day when I was looking for something else. It made me feel cross all over again! I got my dent repaired for about £360. So much for being honest; I wish I'd driven off!