Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Cordless vacuum cleaners - help!

(56 Posts)
Thrillednanny Sun 04-Sep-16 14:38:17

I really don't feel I can manage my very heavy Dyson anymore & am quite impressed with the look of the new cordless ones. A friend has a GTech AirRam which she loves but DH is convinced the Dyson V6 looks much better & is cheaper. My worry is it has all the weight at the top which makes it look awkward & only had 20 mins running time. Can anyone recommend one or the other? All help gratefully received!

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 08-Sep-16 11:54:29

I killed this thread didn't I. With me wingeing. Soz.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 07-Sep-16 20:33:36

Fourth one down here

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 07-Sep-16 20:30:52

I bought a Morphy Richards one. It's the red one. It's awful. It's heavy. It knackers me out. It always needs emptying. If you get your thumb in the wrong place it switches the thing off. I HATE IT!!!

I have just done round with it and I am about to throw it outside the back door. When I've had a rest.

moobox Wed 07-Sep-16 17:05:07

I have a lower powered Dyson, but it is good, so I am sure if I had the V6 or above it would do instead of a standard vacuum

vintage1950 Wed 07-Sep-16 15:48:00

We bought a gTech AirRam. Our neighbour is thrilled with hers but my daughter has long hair (comes halfway down her back) which snarled up the rollers. We tried cutting it out but no luck. Eventually we threw it away.
So if nobody in your household has long hair it's probably great. Otherwise, think twice.

Thrillednanny Wed 07-Sep-16 13:04:28

Thank you all so much for your input, I really do appreciate it. Still undecided as, not unsurprisingly, there are good & bad reviews for GTech & Dyson. Problem is you can try Dyson anywhere but can't try GTech anywhere, which is still the way Im leaning I think. Hmm will keep thinking!

NonnaAnnie Wed 07-Sep-16 11:49:20

I have a Vorwerk and love it, light and easy to use and very, very efficient.

I also have a Dyson cordless, and it keeps breaking, not the motor but the tools and pipes etc. my clever hubby keeps repairing them, but I would not buy another Dyson.

Elegran Wed 07-Sep-16 10:18:22

A robot hoover cleans under beds without you even having to bend dowm and push it under. The first time I used mine in the bedroom I was amazed at how much ooss it found.

Willow500 Wed 07-Sep-16 10:14:28

I've cleaned under the bed with the G-Tech - it goes pretty flat. As mentioned previously the first one I got is still working and is very good which is why I bought the 2nd one which I was bitterly disappointed with. I did mail G-Tech to complain but never got anywhere. I've done the stairs down with it too taking the handle off to make it easier to use which worked but still have to give the Dyson the top marks.

shysal Wed 07-Sep-16 08:43:06

HannahLK, I have just measured the height of my GTECH with the clever swivel handle lowered. It is exactly 4 inches, so you might be able to do under your bed. Do you know anyone who has one to try before you buy?

anne53 Wed 07-Sep-16 07:55:51

Absolutely love my Dyson animal cordless. Very powerful. Best thing I ever bought. makes doing the stairs so easy. And great for the car too. Needs emptying often but very easy to do straight into the bin. Sister and daughter have also got one and love it.

Bluesmum Wed 07-Sep-16 07:42:39

I have both and the GTech Air Ram and the original "stick" Dyson, so cant comment on the new improved version. The G Tech is by far the more powerful workhorse, which i use for all my carpets and hard floors, use the dyson in hand held mode for the stairs and for de-cob webbing the ceilings, doing upholstery, and " dusting" but if this ever gave up. I would buy the G Tech handheld, my friends has one and it is super xx. Good luck with your choice.

HannahLoisLuke Tue 06-Sep-16 16:34:28

I'm also wondering which to buy as I too find my big Dyson too heavy and the attachment tube just keeps wanting to retract.also I need a cleaner that will go under my bed. The base is only about 4 inches from the floor and currently I have to take off the mattress and slats and get inside the frame with the upright Dyson, the attachments don't cover enough. As you can imagine, it doesn't get done often enough! I've tried my daughters Dyson v6 which has the advantage of being an all in one whereas with the Gtech you have to buy two separate items and that's expensive.
However, as I have their hedge trimmer I am drawn to the Gtech if anybody can tell me whether it will clean under my low bed.

EmilyHarburn Tue 06-Sep-16 16:07:01

My Dyson was too havey. I bought the GTech AirRam with two batteries so that I always had one to slot in when the first one ran out.

However my cleaning lady who comes fortnightly, uses the Sebo I bought from John Lewis as it has cleaning tools, compacts the dust and does not need emptying often. However it has a cord.

I use the GTech to do a quick clean inbetween her visits.

Bez1989 Tue 06-Sep-16 15:36:40

I've got 2 upright GTECHS. ...Pink one upstairs.....grey one downstairs.
The GTECH hand held is for the stair's.
It has a "searchlight" on the front !
They all BRILLIANT. Very lightweight and very easy to wash insides clean. sunshine

sillup Tue 06-Sep-16 15:04:04

Dyson V6 Absolute gets my vote. If only I'd bought it years ago. Plenty of charge to clean my 3 bedroom house - two sets of stairs - and enough left over to hoover the car. Only downside is that it can be bit tricky to empty.

grannypiper Tue 06-Sep-16 13:31:35

type in "royale vacuum" great machines, lightweight and Less than £70

Anne2108 Tue 06-Sep-16 13:27:38

I used to have Dysons (cable, not cordless),but although efficient, found them heavy to manoevre. I bought the Gtech Airram a couple of years ago and I think it's brilliant, easy to use, light, cleans thoroughly and easy to empty and clean. Only snag I've found is removing hair that winds itself around the spindle, but that applies to every upright machine. I also have the hand held one which I find indispensable for so many jobs and when my husband became ill and was no longer able to mow the lawns, we bought the Gtech mower and trimmer, which I find really easy and light to use. Love them all.

Tudorrose Tue 06-Sep-16 13:14:54

We have a Gtech upright & a small hand held one. So light & easy to manage but efficient too. I have PD so these are perfect for me

Jennieantliff Tue 06-Sep-16 13:11:07

I recently found my old dyson too heavy to,carry up stairs. Looked at smaller, lighter dyson and cordless as well. After much thought I bought a Shark vacuum. It has a super long cord, plugged in to hall it reaches all rooms, same upstairs. It comes apart easily, so can be taken upstairs in sections, this also makes it easy to get under the beds. No more fluffballs there now. And a lot cheaper then Dyson or Gtech

Peaseblossom Tue 06-Sep-16 13:01:09

I've just bought an AEG Ergorapido AG3012 ‑ Stick Vacuum from eBay. I am pleased with it. It cost £105 so is much cheaper than the others. It has a lift out unit for doing stairs/car. I bought a GTech last year and returned it as I thought it seemed flimsy and like an overpriced carpet sweeper.

missdeke Tue 06-Sep-16 13:00:15

I've had a GTech for about 4 years now, the service centre were superb when I lost a small screw from it, sending replacement parts FOC by return. It's definitely the best thing I have ever spent money on. I can't wait for my strimmer, hedge cutter and lawn mower to give up the ghost as I will definitely go for GTech replacements.

Tegan Tue 06-Sep-16 12:39:53

I will never buy anything made by Dyson untill he provides work for people in this country [other than research work] sad.

Tessa101 Tue 06-Sep-16 12:12:51

Dyson cordless brilliant invention it cleans my 3 bed house easily in one charge use it all the time. It's lighter than my handbag lol. I agree that you do have to either lay it down or prop it up against something but that out ways the benefits.

Sue422 Tue 06-Sep-16 12:03:40

My Vax is fab! It stands alone, is powerful, has two settings (for carpet and hard floor), and switching between the two is simplicity itself. Easy to empty and the battery is easily removed for recharging. The hand-held bit is easily detached from the main body and I almost have to fight the DGC to do the vacuuming - it's actually fun!! Now will someone please design a fun way of a ironing?? - or materials that don't require it!!