Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Where can I buy a blouse?

(66 Posts)
kittylester Mon 12-Sep-16 10:42:22

We have a couple of things coming up shortly where I particularly need to look and feel good. I've thought I'd like blouse (I don't usually do blouses!) sort of loose ish, possibly with a small amount of pattern, to wear with smart jeans rather than trousers.

The needing to feel good is down to me and the company rather than the venue.blush

I wouldn't mind a tiny bit of sparkle but I don't want black. Help! Other suggestions welcome especially if they come with stockists!! I'm 5'5" tall and a size 20.

Bez1989 Wed 14-Sep-16 13:02:39

House of Fraser ?

Joules have some lovely tops !
Really lovely designs.

M & S ?
Look online then go to the store with any in mind.

kittylester Wed 14-Sep-16 08:07:15

Thank you all so much for your suggestions. I could find myself spending far too much money.

DanniRae Wed 14-Sep-16 08:03:50

Sorry if this has been mentioned already but Kaleidoscope have some lovely tops - I have just seen a beautiful floral tunic -
really pretty colours, sensible sizes and not too expensive. I wish I could now give you a link but my skills aren't up too it. Good Luck! smile

Lyndie Wed 14-Sep-16 07:59:45

I love Mint Velvet. Relaxed elegance . They go to size 18 but are generous and mostly are stretchy.

Rosieroe Wed 14-Sep-16 06:41:02

Do you have a TKMaxx nearby? Some of my favorite clothes have come from there - tops I would never have found on the high street (or been able to afford at the original price).

Eloethan Tue 13-Sep-16 23:44:34

Mint Velvet does some nice tops/blouses/tunics.

Hilltopgran Tue 13-Sep-16 22:58:12

I am a similar height and size to you and find Maine, available online through Debenhams, tops are a good fit and have several now to suit different occasions, I avoid buttons all down the front and go for tops with some detail. Seasalt have some nice tops as well.

Claudiaclaws Tue 13-Sep-16 22:12:20

I think (buts) sounds really good.

emilie Tue 13-Sep-16 21:24:33

pure silk from Orvis

Legs55 Tue 13-Sep-16 19:07:56

I live in jeans or cropped trousers/shorts but for going out it's white jeans or trousers in summer & my beloved Jeggings for rest of year - M & S, they look like skinny jeans & look great with floaty blouses or shirts (I've some lovely ones in different colours). I too can't wear heels any more (got gorgeous legs but hate dress/skirt with flats). Only time I wear a skirt is in winter when I can wear boots.smile

grannypiper Tue 13-Sep-16 18:07:23

Try bon marche, great range

Liaise Tue 13-Sep-16 17:35:30

Try Gerry Weber. THe shops are very good if you can get to one. They sometimes have one in department stores. There is a website but it is not as good as going to the shop. They stock seperates that mix and match. It's hard to come out without buying something.

shirleyhick Tue 13-Sep-16 16:40:01

Debenhams have a good selection and the prices are not to bad.

yulle87 Tue 13-Sep-16 16:34:14

You could have a look at pure collection.com. They have some lovely blouses.
Maybe somebody can tell me where to find blouses made of Indian cotton. They are light and comfortable, wash easily and don't need ironing. Ideal for travel.
Yullemor

GrandmaMoira Tue 13-Sep-16 14:13:24

It's worth trying M&S as well. They usually have a good range of sizes and not too expensive.

krysiam Tue 13-Sep-16 13:15:20

I have found some nice tops on julipa.com - have a look!

muswellblue Tue 13-Sep-16 12:12:28

I likeEast for blouses/long sleeved tops too, Stansgran, but I don't think they go above a size 18.

inishowen Tue 13-Sep-16 12:09:42

Bon Marche is good for tops of any sort.

Jaxie Tue 13-Sep-16 12:04:53

If you want to go up market try Brora, LK Bennett, Karen Millen, Jigsaw, Warehouse or good old John Lewis. Good luck.

kittylester Tue 13-Sep-16 11:57:46

That's pretty too nina, I might send for that too.

I'm usually not particularly bothered about clothes but these two, casual ish, events seem to matter to me an awful lot. Says more about me as I said somewhere else.

Rosina Tue 13-Sep-16 11:47:58

Try Windsmoor online - they have a good selection of everything; also 'Just Last Season' who sell much the same stuff but do seem to have a lot of clothing that isn't aimed or styled for the seven stone size zero market. (Also 'Box 2' who cater for the more cuddly among us - they have beautiful flowing clothing, although it's not cheap. They have sales though)

Good luck!

mrsmopp Tue 13-Sep-16 11:35:25

Yes, Asda and Sainsbury are fine for clothes. Searching for my cardigan, Laura Ashley wanted over £40 - I finally looked in Primark as a last resort and found the exact thing for £4.50. And I never normally look in there, thinking it was only for size 8 sixteen year olds (and it's a long time since I was a size 8 sixteen year old!)

ninathenana Tue 13-Sep-16 11:28:20

kitty that's pretty and similar pattern to the link I tried to do. That one is light blue though

Lupatria Tue 13-Sep-16 11:20:04

i go to asda for my tops. they do blouses/shirts too.
i find that most places either don't go up to my size or are rather too expensive for my pocket.
in asda there's usually something which i like and which fits and is also in the right price range.

kittylester Tue 13-Sep-16 11:16:41

There are a few there I fancy Tricia.

For a start I've ordered this one

www.wallis.co.uk/en/wluk/product/clothing-265973/tops-265992/floral-bird-printed-shirt-5722925?bi=20&ps=20

but I may not have finished yet!!