Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

UKIP

(81 Posts)
Riverwalk Fri 16-Sep-16 12:36:18

Is anyone interested in who'll be the next UKIP leader? Apparently the favourite, Dianne somebody, isn't giving interviews and keeping a low-profile confused

I've just watched Farage's farewell speech, followed by Douglas Carswell on The Daily Politics, and interviews with party members.

It's like the Rocky Horror Show grin

rosesarered Thu 06-Oct-16 19:19:18

What an amazing year for politics this has been, whoever would have thunk it?

WilmaKnickersfit Thu 06-Oct-16 19:12:51

From the Guardian

Woolfe was alleged to have been confronted by Hookem – the party’s defence spokesman, who served in the RAF and Royal Engineers – during the meeting. Hookem is understood to have said “a few choice words” to Woolfe about defecting to the Tories.

“Steven Woolfe has then taken his jacket off, walked over and said: ‘Right you, outside now’ or words to that effect,” a source close to the party told the Guardian. “They went outside and Steven Woolfe got the brunt of it.”

It is understood that Woolfe struck his head but walked away from the alleged altercation at about 10am, and appeared well enough to vote in the parliament half an hour later. However, he left midway through the vote and collapsed on a walkway at about 12.30pm.

suzied Thu 06-Oct-16 18:24:10

Lets hope those foreign doctors in Strasbourg are taking good care of him.

GrannieBabi Thu 06-Oct-16 18:21:22

Just heard Nigel Farage described on Radio 4 as 'the hokey-cokey leader' In, out, in, out ..... made me smile anyway.

Riverwalk Thu 06-Oct-16 17:43:44

They seemed the soft side of the National Front grin

The Daily Mail said he was fighting for his life earlier but he's now happily OK.

whitewave Thu 06-Oct-16 14:13:52

They seemed the soft side of the National Front, but not so sure now. Poor chap I wish him well whatever his political persuasion.

Nelliemoser Thu 06-Oct-16 14:07:44

Is anyone surprised? The whole attitude of many in this party lends itself to such behaviour.

merlotgran Thu 06-Oct-16 14:06:07

Yes. I think it says a lot about why Diane James resigned. hmm

Anniebach Thu 06-Oct-16 13:51:01

Seems they had a disagreement and chose to go outside and use fisty cuffs

POGS Thu 06-Oct-16 13:49:35

The truth will out but he certainly sounds in a poor condition.

Ginny42 Thu 06-Oct-16 13:48:42

Apparently it was a fellow UKIP member who attacked/pushed him. Awful thing to happen whatever one's views of their party. Why would punches be thrown? He was the man who missed the deadline by minutes in his recent leadership attempt.

Makes you wonder whether there is a great deal of aggression and maybe that's why Diane James resigned.

Wobblybits Thu 06-Oct-16 13:41:07

Another source says he was punched by a fellow UKIP MEP and suffered a brain bleed.

Ginny42 Thu 06-Oct-16 13:39:54

The Telegraph quotes sources as saying that Woolfe was punched by a colleague during a meeting of UKIP members of the European Parliament in Strasbourg and is reportedly suffering from bleeding of the brain after he was punched. One witness said he fell into a window after being punched.

gillybob Thu 06-Oct-16 13:39:54

Just read this online Ginny42 I heard that he was attacked which lead to a window smashing and him receiving serious head injuries?
Terrible.

Ginny42 Thu 06-Oct-16 13:37:21

Beaking news this lunchtime: Stephen Woolfe - seen by some as a possible future party leader - has been hospitalized and is in serious condition after an "altercation" with a colleague at a meeting in Strasburg.

I think he collapsed after the altercation, not that he was physically attacked.

rosesarered Wed 05-Oct-16 14:28:10

I think Suzanne Evans will probably be the next leader.

trisher Wed 05-Oct-16 13:51:45

So she lasted less than 20 days- must be some sort of record.

Anniebach Wed 05-Oct-16 13:51:14

Neil Hamilton is determined to be leader, Nige is determined Hamilton will not be leader

Ana Wed 05-Oct-16 13:27:44

Only temporarily (he says!)

Riverwalk Wed 05-Oct-16 13:25:07

Nige is back! smile

trisher Tue 20-Sep-16 11:22:32

Perhaps we could send her on an extended visit to meet him? On second thoughts cancel that she might come back with all sorts of ideas!

whitewave Mon 19-Sep-16 11:38:48

See the new leader has Putin as her hero- blimey!

Tegan Mon 19-Sep-16 11:23:18

'And you wonder why you sour grapes remoaners lost'. It's comments like that that make me question the integrity of some brexit voters I'm afraid.

GillT57 Mon 19-Sep-16 10:25:17

Jaycee I was not patronising to the people I was talking about, far from it. I did say that I had trouble keeping my opinions to myself ( but I did) I was angry at their lack of understanding of what could happen. I would never be so rude as to belittle someone's worries. I used this story to illustrate a situation which is probably being repeated all over Britain

AmMaz Mon 19-Sep-16 08:53:25

Hear, hear Jaycee5.