Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

UKIP

(80 Posts)
Riverwalk Fri 16-Sep-16 12:36:18

Is anyone interested in who'll be the next UKIP leader? Apparently the favourite, Dianne somebody, isn't giving interviews and keeping a low-profile confused

I've just watched Farage's farewell speech, followed by Douglas Carswell on The Daily Politics, and interviews with party members.

It's like the Rocky Horror Show grin

Nonnie Fri 16-Sep-16 12:38:08

No, not in advance. Don't know enough about any of them and I'm not eligible to vote!

Ana Fri 16-Sep-16 14:00:28

Diane James is to succeed Nigel Farage as leader of UKIP, according to a Sky accouncement.

Ana Fri 16-Sep-16 14:00:55

announcement!

Anniebach Fri 16-Sep-16 14:29:10

An aide to Farage and head of media for UKIP has gone Tory, she is impressed by Theresa May

Ana Fri 16-Sep-16 15:04:25

Diae James doesn't look very impressed by Nigel's attempts to give her a congratulatory peck! grin

Anniebach Fri 16-Sep-16 15:06:50

You are naughty Ana, grin

Lona Fri 16-Sep-16 15:32:37

grin He looks as though he's looking down her blouse too!

POGS Fri 16-Sep-16 16:08:13

At least they aren't trying to poke the others eye out with a stick .

From what I have seen of Dianne James I like her, she is is good when being interviewed and usually knows her brief. I am not a UKIP voter but it will be interesting to see if she can lead the party as like him or loathe him Forage took the party with him.

NfkDumpling Fri 16-Sep-16 16:54:21

I did read their manifesto last year as I couldn't believ all the stuff the media were publishing - and, surprisingly, a lot of it made sense and it wasn't nearly as right wing as I'd thought. However, like the Liberals, they're mostly not politicians, they have a large tendency to speak before they think and manage to spout a lot of contradictory nonsense! Perhaps in fifty years they could mellow into a reasonable party!

Anniebach Fri 16-Sep-16 19:01:33

I like this woman, not her politics but the fact she has just sorted out Neil Hamilton, he is fuming because he has been stopped from making a speech st their conference and test spot has been given to Nathan Gill who Hamilton stabbed in the back

NfkDumpling Fri 16-Sep-16 22:16:36

Interesting times!

Anniebach Fri 16-Sep-16 22:20:14

Most interesting Nfk, Hamilton has cause war among UKIP members in Wales

NfkDumpling Fri 16-Sep-16 22:32:31

I think Mr Hamilton is a bit of a stirring diva.

sarahellenwhitney Sat 17-Sep-16 09:06:55

Any one who can put the GT back in Britain gets my vote
Many are called few are chosen so the saying goes.

radicalnan Sat 17-Sep-16 09:50:53

Can't think of any non horrors in politics now............sad

Sheilasue Sat 17-Sep-16 10:20:23

Only Teresa May radicalnan.

Ramblingrose22 Sat 17-Sep-16 10:36:03

I have doubts about UKIP's new leader.

She refused to attend any hustings, which made me wonder if she is up to the job. I have also heard her make some dubious claims about the EU.

It will be interesting to see if UKIP serve any purpose anymore. It's all very well them saying that they are there to keep pressure on the Government to get on with Brexit, but the Tories have plenty of people on their own side to do that!

If the Government gets rid of freedom of movement as part of the Brexit negotiations, there won't be much point to them.

johnofwhixall Sat 17-Sep-16 10:38:23

Don't talk to me about UKIP
It is my stated intention to kick Farage in the pants - leader or not

He Lied told deliberate porkies
Its on U tube

I run a community group and many of my "old dears" have health problems

I can take you to several right now who are profoundly disappointed and feel very silly because they believed that the NHS would benefit by shiploads of cash based upon what that * mountebank said

But you know what is worse

The rest of the Brexit mob are not thickos -- they have all had an expensive education and yet none of them said a damn thing to correct what the lying punk passed off as a mistake

QED they must have been complicit in the lie

Had it been a court of law they would have been charged with contempt, at the very least, and the trial would have been halted

so how come the result of the referendum is allowed to stand

The result of the referendum was based on LIES

By the way my application for an eu passport is progressing nicely because this rat is about to jump ship asap

but before I go its time to kICK ASS!!!

foxie Sat 17-Sep-16 11:07:37

Lies or not it's called democracy which apparently johnofwhixall doesn't like or trust. The EU has been costing us £56 million not a year, not a month, not a week but A DAY!! And why should anyone think that taking back out sovereignty and ability to make and maintain our own laws instead of being subservient to the unelected bureaucrats in Brussels is wrong. Talking about Brussels and now Strasbourg were you aware that it costs £100 million to just maintain the parliament buildings so where do you think that money comes from. The UK parliament, which by the way is registered as a PLC, will take there sweet time in leaving the EU but sooner or later it must happen and so far the signs are looking good for our future economy and prosperity. So stay with it kiddo, you maybe surprised at what the future brings for ENGLAND.

sylviann Sat 17-Sep-16 11:08:43

With all the name calling and back biting in political parties it's hard to decide who's going to get the job done for the British people I am thinking of Voting for UKIP in future elections the people's voice for Brexit hasn't been loud enough why are the 17million who voted being branded stupid we are as a democratic country allowed to vote as we see fit ,if every vote that doesn't fit in with what the people we put in power to carry out our wishes gets questioned at every turn we might as well not bother voting.

Ana Sat 17-Sep-16 11:34:34

What about the rest of the UK, foxie? hmm

Craftycat Sat 17-Sep-16 11:59:36

A lifelong Tory voter, I voted UKIP in the last election & will continue to do so until we are put of EU totally. I think it is a shame Farage resigned but I can see why he did. Not sure about new leader- time will tell.
Both sides told lies in the lead up to the Referendum - sad but true.
I listen to Nigel Farage's phone in on LBC on a Saturday morning & I am always amazed at the fact that what he says all strikes true & he is so often wrongly quoted in the press. I have given up buying a newspaper as they are all as bad as each other.
I made a point of listening to politicians who had served at the EU Assembly before the referendum & took note 0f what they said before I decided to vote for Brexit. I wish they would just hurry up & get on with it.

Whoputthecatout Sat 17-Sep-16 12:11:46

The result of the referendum was based on LIES

Yup. Much like the result of the 1975 referendum was based on lies. That result stood.

Jaycee5 Sat 17-Sep-16 12:25:06

sylviann I agree. I am a retired solicitor, I have studied constitutional law and have studied the way the EU works both constitutionally and in practice.
I voted Leave for a number of reasons, mainly but not solely because I do not believe in protectionist blocs.
I have tried to have discussions with people on facebook but, in the Guardian in particular, the debate never gets above 'if you vote Leave you are a racist and a moron'.
If they reluctantly agree that the EU is not perfect, the will change it to 'well you may not be a racist, but you enable racism'.
If people who are as left wing as I am (there is nothing left wing about protectionism or about the way that Greece was treated) is bullied to the extent that I have been on social media, it is not surprising that people who are less able to articulate their views in writing, turn to parties or sites that do listen to them.
Remain need to be able to engage with the actual issues and stop the insults. They need to stop telling racists that 17 million people agree with them which gives them the confidence to behave in acceptable ways. They need to stop talking the country down and embrace the challenge of change.
From my experience so far, they won't however careful you are about the way you try to engage with them.