Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Out of control grandchildren

(152 Posts)
Arianna Tue 20-Sep-16 18:01:28

Please help, I know I will probably get a roasting from devoted Grandmother's but I need real advice because I'm at my wit's end.
I have 3 grandchildren let's refer to them as J, O and M, 2 boys J and O and a girl M.
My DH and I had 6 boys of our own, they were such good kids, if we took them places they behaved so well. When I look back I think just how lucky we were.
Now I will tell you about my problem.
Every visit from my grandchildren is becoming a nightmare.
The first thing they do is run into the hose, screaming and laughing, that's not unusual you might think, they are excited and pleased to see us but the running around and screaming don't stop for the whole 3-4 hrs they stay, I hardly have chance to talk to them.
I catch hold of their arms they look at me as though they have been traped, I ask hey J come tell Nanna how school was today. J looks at his arms, tears himself from me and runs of.
I then go after him, he runs back into the living room. I say tell me about the story teacher told you today. J looks, he says bananas, I say oh yummy I love bananas especially in a sandwich, he then says to me banana and poo, I say no bananas is nice on its own. J runs of shouting poooo. Now his sister M is running back and forth during this time, screaming, jumping on to the sofa, kicking her feet and knocking over photos I have of them. I say oh be careful we don't want to break your lovely photo you gave me. She turns around and says, poo, she comes to me and she says your bum smells like poo. Her mother just says oh M she's no lady is she and just laughs, all this time DIL just sits on the sofa, telling my son to see where they are.
That's another thing that amazes me, my son who was so sensible has in my opinion been abducted by aliens ( his wife's family) and had his memory totally wiped because everything we taught him has just gone out of the window, his wife and her mum, who I think I should add was a midwife has him totally under their thumb. Oh by the way would a midwife encourage her daughter not to sterilise a new baby's bottles and feed him a full cooked Christmas dinner at just barely 2 months old. Later he had terrible tummy and bowl problems, the doctor thought he was intolerant to lactose but I knew the problem was the way he'd been force fed. Even her mum told her not to tell the health visitor she was feeding him solid foods. I tried to advise but i got, "Oh my mum's a retired midwife so........." yes I'm afraid my advice went in one ear out the other, even though I had 6 very healthy boys.
So back to the mad episode.
Now while J and M are running riot I have the third one O who has a soaking wet nappie that has leaked out on to his trousers and they forgot to bring extra nappies so I go and find an old town and say you can use this to put on him for now, it's old so you can chuck it when you get home. (mentally making a note to buy some nappies just incase this happens again)., well O is absolutely going crazy, starting to bash the radiator with his toy robot, my DH stops him straight away, he now turns around and starts hitting the table I have my glasses on, I grab the robot quick, O screams and we are in a tug of war, I say careful your going to break your robot, he just screams and shouts my robot.
I say stop pulling and I will let go, if you keep pulling you will fall and hurt yourself. I let go he falls, now he jumps up and runs to his mother, looking at me like I'm an ogre.
Meanwhile the other two are running around back and forth the kitchen, I bring them back to the living room and shut the door, they run to open it, I say 'no' they catch hold of the handle and start kicking the door. In all this time their mother just says oh M oh J oh O, she don't get of her bottom to stop them, I stop them and she looks at me like I'm a fussy old spoilsport.
This happens every birthday, holiday, Christmas, anniversary. It is making special days a nightmare.
We used to go down to their house to visit, it was always a strain, there was always toys, dirty nappies, dirty pants, blankets all on the floor, you had to step over everything to get to a chair, I would start picking up everything, my DIL would look like oh my god what is she doing.
When we were visiting it was much easier, I had control on how long we stayed, which was about 1 hr because it's about all I could bear especially when M whispered in my ear "I want you to go home now", the reason being they wanted to watch TV but couldn't because we were there.
Now as my DIL recently passed her driving test, they now come up and visit us and they stay for hours, in fact I have to say, I think the little ones are getting tired, my son takes the hint and says right everyone get your shoes on. Now it's a fight to make them sit and put their shoes on.
Meanwhile, I see my DIL sitting on the hall radiator while she puts her shoes on, I am lost for words, she is about 12 st, the radiator grill is bending under her weight.
They go outside, J starts kicking the porch wall, he then gets put in the car, now M is in the car screaming, O still has his wet his trousers on, now the child car seat is all wet.
They go, we wave, smiling, we go into the house, I cry.
This happens on every visit, it's becoming a nightmare. If only they talked to us, played with toys nicely or sat and read a book with us I would be happy.
This is a time when we should be enjoying our grandchildren, but they are so rude and hyped up every time. We can't enjoy their visits. Before you say it's sugar, they dont have sweets for that purpose but it's not made any difference.
Please help, are we just terrible grandparents feeling this way? I'm at my wit's end.

trisher Wed 28-Sep-16 11:20:32

Ana Guidelines say
If you suspect someone of being a troll, please don't accuse them publicly on the discussion thread (if you're wrong, you could cause untold hurt; if you're right, you'll merely be giving them just the kind of attention they're after).

So it seems if you want to post you have to accept the validity of the OP. Of course if you really suspect it's a wind-up you could always post a spoof reply...

grannylyn65 Wed 28-Sep-16 11:08:35

Am I the only one ?y enough to wonder about deleted posts !!!

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 22-Sep-16 22:52:13

grin That is so true.

moobox Thu 22-Sep-16 22:44:10

Don't worry, when the boys get a bit older they will walk into the house, put on their headphones, and tuck themselves away in a spare room until home time!

Jalima Thu 22-Sep-16 16:29:55

Ps it is never a good idea to get into a tussle with a child over a toy (the robot).
Just say firmly that he's not to bash the robot on the furniture, robot doesn't like it, can you show me out here what robot can do, can he walk etc?
You say you fetched them back into the sitting room and shut the door? All that pent-up energy.
Surely six boys didn't always behave perfectly?
Mothers do tend to forget over the years
Mine were always perfect too hmm

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 22-Sep-16 16:15:57

grin

BBbevan Thu 22-Sep-16 16:06:52

My GDs are not like that. They are by no means perfect, just ordinary children. One can sulk for England. But they know how to behave when they are out and in other peoples' homes. I have nothing but respect and gratitude for the way my DS and DiL have brought them up

dramatictessa Thu 22-Sep-16 15:39:10

Not all modern kids are ghastly! In fact, as had always been the case, the vast majority are lovely, a few are sometimes badly behaved, and a tiny minority can often exhibit ghastly behaviour.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 22-Sep-16 15:17:24

Can't be down solely to E numbers. Just modern kids. Ghastly.

Coolgran65 Thu 22-Sep-16 15:14:47

I wonder, What if when they visit, op says she is not well enough to cope with the 'high spirits' and to be trying to keep the children calmer etc and asked parents if they could help her enjoy the little darlings more by bringing entertainment with them. Suitable games, and permit them to watch cartoons.

At my wits end with two of ours, 2 cardboard boxes and colouring pencils gave us a couple of hours quiet time, the boxes were a castle, then a boat...... Toy soldiers and knights, some dragons, all from the charity shop. Holes for doors and arrow slits.
Special charity shop toys only at gran' s.

TriciaF Thu 22-Sep-16 15:00:22

Good idea.

ittybitty123 Thu 22-Sep-16 14:52:19

Is she feeding them food and sweets,drinks with E numbers in. My D second child was like this she was at her wits end, then she read or heard about E numbers in food, sweets and drinks so she checked everything he had. Stopped everything with E numbers and changed almost immediately into the the sweet loving boy he was and has had no trouble since.

TriciaF Thu 22-Sep-16 12:03:01

jings people like that aren't going to change in a hurry - too lazy plus an impossible job now the problems have built up. There used to be a series on Sky, I think, where a child psycholgist went into people's homes where the children were out of hand, and helped them to plan improvements. Took months, if not years. But the main thing, the parents have got to WANT to change.
Children can learn to behave differently in different locations.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 22-Sep-16 11:59:30

Perhaps the other thread didn't get reported. This one obviously did.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 22-Sep-16 11:57:53

Oh, they are afraid posters will be put off joining if they are accused of being a troll. They want to keep the numbers up at all cost.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 22-Sep-16 11:56:31

Children get away with too much these days. The parents are so laid back as to be practically horizontal. I would tell the dil straight out to control them. Funny how she's so ready to come to you now she can drive. Sounds like she's taking advantage. Easier to visit you than have to tidy her own place up.

Ana Thu 22-Sep-16 11:54:05

I'm a bit puzzled as to why GNHQ have suddently decided that it's not allowed to question whether a post/poster is genuine or not.

There was another thread this week where several posters expressed the opinion that the OP was a wind-up, although that one didn't involve children which is possibly why no one complained...

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 22-Sep-16 11:47:34

That wasn't a comment to you TriciaF. Just wasted time skimming the thread and seen all the deletions.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 22-Sep-16 11:46:05

Crikey! grin

TriciaF Thu 22-Sep-16 11:37:29

I hardly dared read this thread - like someone earlier, it brings back memories of some wild kindergarten children when I was working. In a way, they're crying out for control, which is a sign of caring and love. They're very insecure.
Short of cutting yourself off from them, for your health's sake,I agree with Jane10's advice , offer to take one on their own occasionally. Plan in advance distracting activities, not necessarily very active. Try to aim for a few moments of calm, when you can relate in a loving way.
The baby is probably the easiest to start with as he's had less time to learn bad habits.
I would ignore the rude words, they don't realise that they're hurtful.

BoboGran Thu 22-Sep-16 10:14:12

This all sounds so distressing for you Arianna, i am so sorry and can see how hard you are trying to make some sort of meaningful relationship with your grandchildren. It is so difficult isnt it when others have different rules and ideas of good and safe behaviour to us. I really related to your concern about babies eating the same food as the parents as in bringing my children up I always belueved they would choke if given solids. But my children have brought their children up on non liquid quite adult diets....i was alarmed and in that trap you are in of not wanting to be a bossy o,d fashioned grand other and fear for all of them if there was a disaster. But my daughter talked with me and showwd me the research on this new and recommended feeding method, and that did help me to understand and i must say neither of them have had any problems being fed in this way.
it has been helpful to me in realising that we do often have different generational norms and I made a decision to try and listen and u nderstand even when all of me was disagreeing with some newwayof doing things!
how hard it must be for you to be with the children behaving so chaotically but this is how they are being brought up, and as you say if you keep trying to make them behave differently you will all just be in a distressing battle. This may not be very helpful, but I wonder if you might put aside your vision of how they ought to be behaving, and see if you can find a way to connect with them where they are at? If Poo is the current word to shock or laugh at, then there are lots of books out there for these age groups which mention poo as it is a very normal part of life.....but NOT mentioned, and it helps children to giggle, or discuss or whatever it is for them. I suppose what I am thinking Arrianna is that it might help them and you for you to see what they like, and meet them there. I think doing anything about their parents untidy house may be a bit out of your hands though! Feet on the floor, some deep breaths and connection to the love I can hear is in your heart as they rush in screaming. How wonderful that you care enough to be bringing this here. Good luck.

Gherkin Thu 22-Sep-16 08:45:28

Arianna, I wish I could give you helpful advice but unfortunately I am in exactly the same position. I could have written your post practically word for word. Thank goodness I'm not the only one with this state of affairs.

loopyloo Thu 22-Sep-16 08:13:56

I think your daughter in law might be struggling too which is why she comes to see you and stays for hours. She might feel she cannot live up to her mother and does not have the parenting skills she needs. I think perhaps the children feel insecure and are picking up on the tension. Perhaps you could try becoming an ally of this mum. For example , did you have a spare nappy that you could offer to change the baby?. And some spare clothes? Are any of them at nursery school yet ? Also perhaps you could talk to you local health visitor for advice. These are your grandchildren and I think they need you.

elbev60 Thu 22-Sep-16 07:59:41

You don't sat their ages but they seem young? Even saying that it doesn't appear that they are being taught how to behave. I agree with meeting in a neutral place but could you perhaps have one child at a time for a short visit? Perhaps if you say your dad wasn't allowed to jump on the sofa when he was a little boy ?? If you explain that in nanny's house the rules are...... how will they cope with school etc? Poor teacher! Hope you get some enjoyment soon.

Pattyann57 Thu 22-Sep-16 07:20:27

When in your house your rules..however not so easy as like me guess you don't wanna upset son...in my case son in law. Its better to meet at play zones..tell them your house not suitable for small children..no toys etc. But.....make it all about the little darlings..you know whats best for them