Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Kirchner window cleaner - help!

(16 Posts)
kittylester Thu 06-Oct-16 06:52:39

After the recommendations on here i bought a basic model. I have looked on the website and the stupid picture instructions to no avail, can anyone please tell me what I am supposed to spray onto the windows before I actually use the thing. confused Thank you.

kittylester Thu 06-Oct-16 06:54:39

Blessed phone - Karcher window thingy!!

suzied Thu 06-Oct-16 07:23:57

I find a mix of white vinegar and water is fine.

Mildred Thu 06-Oct-16 07:34:26

Like to know how you get on with it Kitty

Marmight Thu 06-Oct-16 07:46:30

I just wash the windows with a j cloth rinsed out in washing up liquid and then use the Karcher. Bingo, job done!

spyder08 Thu 06-Oct-16 10:45:16

Kitty...did you get a spray bottle with a pad on the top of it? If not there is a Karcher window cleaning liquid available which you mix according to the instructions, spray window, rub and then suction off with the Karcher. I know Currys sell it as well as it being available on ebay. I think any window cleaning liquid would do the job though.
The trick I found to better cleaning was to spray, rub then spray again before suctioning. I found this gave a better finish with less streaking. Any spray bottle would be fine and should do the job.

Crafting Thu 06-Oct-16 12:41:00

Are you allowed to be in charge of such a gadget kitty? ? Don't forget your elf and safety equipment before you start grin ? ⛑

Elegran Thu 06-Oct-16 13:02:09

You don't need the liquid you spray on to be as strong as they suggest (unless your windows are particularly filthy) I dilute it more than the recommended amount, and even plain water is fine. I do a general spray, then clean it with the pad thingy (dampened a bit first under the tap) and finish off with the vacuum part. If it squeaks a lot, the window wasn't wet enough.

mamamags Thu 06-Oct-16 13:17:17

We have very friendly birds around here so i have to use one of those plastic based scouring pads and watered down old fashioned pink windowlene that is becoming quite hard to purchase in the shops . The old stuff is the best in my opinion

merlotgran Thu 06-Oct-16 13:30:24

I find diluted washing up liquid works really well with my Karcher.

merlotgran Thu 06-Oct-16 13:36:45

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvV36cLu00A

Try this, kitty

Bellasnana Thu 06-Oct-16 14:10:53

I agree, just a couple of drops of washing up liquid is enough. The window needs to be very wet before using the Karcher, then I polish it off with a piece of newspaper.
I bought my Karcher on the advice of Gransnetters and find it invaluable.

cornergran Thu 06-Oct-16 15:27:10

Mr C is the Karcher operative and says to clean the rubber blade thingy regularly as it gets greasy and then streaks. With a machine he likes cleaning the windows - result smile

kittylester Thu 06-Oct-16 16:54:49

Thank you all, especially merlot, I couldn't find that.

I only bought the cheapest - silly me. Xx

wot Thu 06-Oct-16 19:17:13

Mamamags, I like the pink Windolene as well. I got some from Ebay. I have got a Karcher but like to use windowless on picture glass and mirrors.

Eloethan Thu 06-Oct-16 20:01:58

I put warm water in a large bowl with a tiny bit of washing up liquid and then splosh it liberally over the window with a cloth. Then I use the Karcher to vacuum it up, followed by those special cloths (I can never remember the name - ticking?) to polish up and absorb any drips of water.