Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Travel Insurance

(12 Posts)
NanKate Wed 02-Nov-16 14:58:53

We are booking up a few short holidays for 2017 in the UK and now we have both hit 70 we think we should take out insurance in case either of us are ill and we have to cancel. Any advice from fellow Gransnetters please ?

BBbevan Wed 02-Nov-16 16:23:34

We plumped for Sainsbury's after a lot of research. We have never needed to use it ( touch wood) so don't know how efficient they are.

silverlining48 Wed 02-Nov-16 17:15:02

My husband too reaches 70 in January so we will be looking at insurance options. Luckily our holiday booked to celebrate his birthday covers him even though the birthday falls whilst we are away.
Have checked with age uk and saga and both seemed expensive. a friend told me she and her husband pay nearly £1000 pa which is extortionate in my ever so humble....so look forward to any helpful info.
We have world wide ins free with the bank which seemed a good opportunity but that ends at 70. Previously we paid for annual European which was less than £100 for us both. Would not be so concerned for holidays in the U.K. But have decided we need to see a bit more of the world before it is too late. Anyone with a good deal.??

cornergran Wed 02-Nov-16 19:07:24

We found Staysure competitive, covered pre-existing conditions without too much loading. Mr C was 72 last holiday.

Soupy Wed 02-Nov-16 19:23:20

My DH is now 70 and for the last couple of years we've used the Post Office travel insurance for foreign travel; it's nowhere near £1000 but neither of us have any major health concerns, touch wood.

JessM Wed 02-Nov-16 20:13:34

SAGA insurance is just another insurance company.

tiredoldwoman Thu 03-Nov-16 05:14:45

I've used Coverwise 3 times this year, cheap and easy to do by phone .

NanKate Thu 03-Nov-16 06:40:36

Thanks all for your suggestions. I will follow up these recommendations.

glammanana Thu 03-Nov-16 08:22:37

Staysure gave the best deal for us for our next Majorca break and they came up best with USA quotes for June this year all with pre existing medical conditions for OH.

Falconbird Thu 03-Nov-16 08:51:14

As a widow arranging my travel insurance for the first time I went with Saga on line. They were so helpful and gave me confidence. My son said the rate was good. Saga also asked me for feedback which I appreciated. I was nervous and a bit sad but my son checked the details and everything was tickety boo as my old dad used to say. Highly recommend especially if you are a novice to this.

NanKate Sun 06-Nov-16 17:24:14

Thanks for this info Falconbird. Glad it all worked out for you. It's good you have your DS to help you now.

I am sure with the help of all your Gransnetters I will get this insurance sorted. flowers

Jayanna9040 Sun 06-Nov-16 21:51:06

Try the Salvation Army insurance. Good price, ethical dealings with their customers and all profits used to help people in need.