My DGD, who turned 3 in August, asked me,
"Grandma, is it two mice but one mouse?"
"Yes sweat heart".
"And two geese but one goose?"
"That's right. Clever girl".
"And two foxes but one fock?"
"Ahh".

Nanamaz Fri 04-Nov-16 22:55:55

When DD1 was about three we had a problem with pea-bugs (woodlice) getting into our hall. She didn't like them, so I picked them up and put them in the garden, telling her they were only little bugs. One morning, I asked a (very prim and proper) neighbour in for coffee. While we were chatting, DD1 ran in shouting "Mummy, there's one of those little buggers in the hall again!" That took some explaining!

Grandma2213 Sat 05-Nov-16 00:37:11

My eldest DS is 40 next year and we still refer to windscreen wipers as 'windscreamers' thanks to him!

clareken Sat 05-Nov-16 02:51:46

Little sister used to say cosbe instead of because, because DM would sing Follow the Yellow Brick Road to keep us walking any distance. Think about it... Also a child in DS2's class said vegetablearian. It did make me laugh.

Grannynise Sat 05-Nov-16 09:12:12

A little girl in the first class I ever taught identified a donkey conker tree in the playground. Much better than horse chestnut.

Nandalot Sat 05-Nov-16 17:42:21

If we get tired out walking, we always say " my eggs lake" because that's what our Ds used to say when he was five as he would get pain behind the knees with his very flat feet.
Our five year old DGD likes to say a grace that she has learned at school but her version goes " God our Father, who gives us sword" . She is adamant that is right but I have checked with the teache, it should be " who gives us all."

sluttygran Sat 05-Nov-16 18:27:08

My little GD calls caterpillars 'patterdiddlers', and also asks me to be careful when I pick her up in case I hurt her under the 'arm pins'!
When her mummy was small, she got very excited because she'd been to London to visit 'Madame Two-Swords'!

BBbevan Sat 05-Nov-16 20:15:19

My DD did ' Jim elastics' when she was a child.

Synonymous Sat 05-Nov-16 22:51:02

DD was frightened silly by the vacuum cleaner when she was tiny and would toddle off shouting the warning "vaculeener - vaculeener!" shock

DS was very keen on "pickle dunyuns" and also liked "scramble deggs"

grannylyn65 Sun 06-Nov-16 09:22:26

Hossnas = Sultanas ??

Lisalou Sun 06-Nov-16 09:24:42

Many years ago, a neighbour of mine had her grandchildren come to stay for an extended period - I believe they were about two and four. Thing is, the children lived in the UK and my neighbour is in Spain - the children had some Spanish but being young, were not always easy to understand in Spanish and her english was non-existent at the time. She had me on fast dial to work out what they wanted on occasion. Queue an evening phone call from a very frustrated granny asking me what her grandson wanted for supper - he was by this stage crying and I had to go round to find out what he wanted. He wanted scrumply axe - and granny couldn't for the life of her find out what it was. Not only did i have to translate, I had to give her the recipe, as scrambled eggs is not a dish eaten in Spain!

My son when four, and sharing DH's passion for motorbikes and all the language this entails, once shouted out while in the car, and a large bike passed us "Come on, give it some willy!!!"

AlexG Sun 06-Nov-16 12:48:02

Not a child, but my sister-in-law who isn't English. After my brother had been suffering with a migraine, she asked 'Is your-graine better now?' Well if it's my-graine it must be your-graine. Logical!

SusieB50 Sun 06-Nov-16 14:39:42

My grandson told me they had an "insect" day on Friday so no school !

Anya Sun 06-Nov-16 15:33:21

Wish there was a 'like' button, some of these are priceless, but the thread has moved on too far to comment on them all.

One of my pupils asked her mother if she believed in 'green carnations' - we were studying Ancient Egypt at the time confused

BBbevan Sun 06-Nov-16 15:57:43

Carmickla? DGDs word for golden syrup !!!