Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Christmas gift ideas for grandparents

(36 Posts)
KH1979 Mon 07-Nov-16 14:14:54

Hello, I am at a loss as to what to get my MIL/FIL/mother this year for Christmas! Can anyone please give me some suggestions for gifts this year?! Grandparents are early 60s in age, all love dogs... but no other hobbies in particular. Food/dining gifts sadly not appropriate.

Any suggestions greatly received!
Many thanks

Jan51 Thu 10-Nov-16 09:37:00

I am always asked to write a list of things I would like and then DH and DDs liaise on who will get what. It is my birthday on Christmas day so they always buy separate presents for that which I open in the afternoon and have a birthday tea.
This year my list will include new beads for my Pandora style bracelet, subscription to a knitting magazine, Body Shop White Musk toiletries (a standard every year), gloves, a new mug, fudge from a particular shop near to where DDs live, money to renew my Senior Rail Card, silver necklace or earrings or anything chosen by the grandchildren however odd. Think that should give them plenty of choice. This year we will have a special gift as DD2 is expecting a baby at the beginning of January.
If we are really stuck for a present we usually arrange for a bouquet of flowers to be delivered just before Christmas.

Rosannie Thu 10-Nov-16 10:32:10

Iam very happy with Boots vouchers, I save them until it's offer time on Estee Lauder then I buy my expensive night / day creams
I use extra points vouchers too so I have money to spend on other things. The gift a always includes other creams, lipstick, mascara etc. Christmas, Mothers Day and my summer birthday means that they last all year!I could never justify the expense of Estee Lauder otherwise.

annodomini Thu 10-Nov-16 10:53:12

I have everything I need or want. Last year I asked my family to go to the Save the Children wishlist and buy something in my name for an African community. I'll ask them to do the same this year. However, you can't do this unless the grandparent in question has asked you to do it. Vouchers are always welcome and make for a guilt-free shopping expedition.

TerriBull Thu 10-Nov-16 11:26:12

I don't like my children spending a lot on my present, I have everything I want. I usually ask for a book that I have my eye on, last year it was a tome about Queen Victoria by A N Wilson, which one of them kindly bought me and I have by my bedside table for dipping into and Dan Jones The Plantagenets. Sometimes they get us things we don't want, but they have enjoyed such as box sets, Breaking Bad for example, which I still haven't really got into, although I'm told it's worth sticking with, but I have failed to do so. Occasionally they will be inspired and buy a dvd of an old film, such as On The Waterfront which my husband loved, before my time. I got the Godfather trilogy, my faves but one of them borrowed the set and I haven't seen hide nor hair of it since. Ideally I like a history or non fiction book to dip into between whatever fiction book I'm reading, and perhaps a box of bog standard chocolates such as Milk Tray because I have to discipline myself to eat chocolate only occasionally. That's it really!

TerriBull Thu 10-Nov-16 11:47:47

Rambled on about what I get but didn't address the OP's post, for early 60s my age I would suggest any of the following, cinema tickets voucher, food aside, are they drinkers? half a case of wine maybe. If they were anywhere near a John Lewis, one of their vouchers, theatre tickets, again if there is a theatre nearby, framed photographs of family or their dogs. Nice warm fleecy pyjamas for this time of the year. NT membership, really nice scented things for the house from say The White Company or Jo Malone body cream a real luxury.

J52 Thu 10-Nov-16 11:52:19

I echo what may others have said. DH and I would hate them to spend a lot of their hard earned money on presents for us.

It's lovely to receive things that are useful, gardening gloves, toiletries, small gardening tools, bird feeders etc.

These things often wear out or are used up, so it's nice to get new versions!

M0nica Mon 14-Nov-16 18:03:38

I know how irritated I get with people who never want anything because they can buy anything they want. As a result, from about June onwards, if I am thinking of buying anything for myself that is not expensive and just an indulgence and not an immediate necessity, I hold off and put it on my birthday (August) or Christmas list

So far I have listed a couple of books, a new case for my Kindle and some bird feeders and bird food.

Linsco56 Mon 14-Nov-16 18:53:32

My daughter asked me yesterday what I would like for Xmas and for once I was able to give her an answer "a portable Bluetooth speaker please!"

scrabble Thu 17-Nov-16 17:19:32

I ask for lists of what family members would like, must have something wrapped under the tree. If they can't give me ideas they get a voucher for JL. I love scarves

Lea777 Thu 08-Dec-16 14:26:33

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.