Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Presents that arrive monthly/weekly.

(24 Posts)
kittylester Fri 25-Nov-16 17:34:45

DS1 has no one to buy him special presents so we like to buy him something for Christmas that arrives on a regular basis. We have gone Graze, coffees, chocolates - can anyone suggest something else? We don't want to spend a fortune as it's a top up present. Magazines are out.

Thank you!

NonnaW Fri 25-Nov-16 19:04:31

Does he like cooking? If he does and also likes spicy food you can get monthly packs of spices for a recipe. Think they are from a company called spicery or something like that.

tanith Fri 25-Nov-16 19:13:47

Someone will deliver a posh pair of socks each month I think it might be the London Sock shop/company.

Humbertbear Fri 25-Nov-16 19:30:21

There is a company that would send a bunch of flowers every month. Otherwise why not adopt an animal?

suzied Fri 25-Nov-16 19:32:04

Wine?

DaphneBroon Fri 25-Nov-16 19:38:26

Could you arrange for a local offie to send round a keg/cask/bottle of craft beer?

Maggiemaybe Fri 25-Nov-16 20:23:35

There's a company that chooses a book to send out each month tailored to the preferences you give them.

www.thewilloughbybookclub.co.uk/

Other companies are no doubt available smile

There's also one that I've seen good reviews for that sends out surprise gifts each month.

notanotherbill.com/

That's perhaps too pricey, but has some Black Friday deals on at the moment.

I'd love to get a present through the post every month - he's a lucky DS!

kittylester Fri 25-Nov-16 22:44:37

Love the spice thing and the ale idea. Books are a no go as he has no use in his left hand/arm and can't hold them properly. He uses a kindle.

Thank you all.

janeainsworth Sat 26-Nov-16 08:17:46

kittygoogle the Carnivore Club if he is a meat eater.
Not sure what your definition of a fortune iswink but we got DSiL a present from them once and he was very appreciative.
They will send things on a monthly basis I think.

shysal Sat 26-Nov-16 11:22:08

Kindle Unlimited give as many titles as you want on audio and/or visual format for a monthly subscription. You can start with a 30 day free trial I think, then £7.99 per month. Audio might be a more restful version, but if that was for me I would fall asleep!
Kindle unlimited

Grannyknot Sat 26-Nov-16 11:48:59

kitty The Blurt Foundation do a Buddy Box ("A Hug in a Box"). They're for anyone, although the end charity is to raise awareness re depression. Never had one but they look interesting:
www.blurtitout.org/buddybox/

As an aside, I get beauty products every month, I love it. There are always surprises included.

Grannyknot Sat 26-Nov-16 12:01:07

I've had another idea. My daughter subscribes to Netflix on behalf of the whole family, and when we log on to it, she has personalised logos for us, her brother, and her and husband and it shows who's online, what they (we) are watching. It always makes me feel "close" to the family. smile

Or, a Spotify subscription (music streaming). My husband loves his; it collates your choices into a personalised playlist.

kittylester Sat 26-Nov-16 13:47:24

Thanks again everyone.

Gn is brilliant!

DS has Netflix and Spotify GK or they would be ideal. He is mostly vegetarian Jane but does enjoy cooking and I think would enjoy the Spice thing a lot.

mrswoo Sat 26-Nov-16 22:03:37

What about a monthly Amazon voucher which he can use to download books to his Kindle and/ or spend on anything from the Amazon website. I think there is an arrangement where you can automatically top up an Amazon account by a set amount each month.

radicalnan Sun 27-Nov-16 09:08:21

There is Hello which is a food company,delivers a box of all the ingredients needed to cook a fabulous meal at home, all fresh of course. Might be nice he could have a night in with friends once a month cooking something lush and honing his skills.

Jaycee5 Sun 27-Nov-16 09:33:34

There is a site called allsubscriptionboxes.co.uk/category/box which lists masses. I like the look of Not Another Bill but as MaggieMaybe says they are a bit expensive.

elleks Sun 27-Nov-16 09:37:46

Regular vegetable box delivery?

meandashy Sun 27-Nov-16 09:39:07

What about a cineworld card. It's around £18 a month & you can see as many films as you like!

grandMattie Sun 27-Nov-16 09:49:03

There is a beer place, BeerBods?, where they send you a bottle of beer for each week - i think the delivery is monthly - and one is encouraged to drink the same bottle on the same day as the other bodders and to comment about it. DH loved his subscription and gave it to a couple of other beer aficionados.

Angela1961 Sun 27-Nov-16 10:01:54

You say no magazines because of dexterity issues but he uses a kindle. If you think he may still enjoy reading a magazine try Readly. It's a wonderful download/subscription. It's £7.99 with first month free and it gives you access to literally 100s of current magazines .

moxeyns Sun 27-Nov-16 10:21:35

There's a beer club that sends you monthly craft beers. Am contemplating it for myself!

marionk Sun 27-Nov-16 11:42:32

There is a coffee club too

Cagsy Tue 29-Nov-16 12:12:42

I feel very strongly about Amazon so refuse to use them. Their staff are on minimum wage and treated badly, now it seems their drivers too are being made to work long hours. It's a drive to the bottom and personally I feel I need to realise why things are so cheap there - too cheap and not worth their value or the value of the folks who have to work there. I know they're convenient but enough is enough, I've not touched them in over a year - if only I could wean DH off there!

rubysong Wed 30-Nov-16 09:09:54

This has been an interesting thread and has given me an idea of what to get for DDiL for Christmas. She is in USA and I have found she can have a subscription to Country Living magazine, which will be sent to her and I know she will enjoy. Thank you GN for giving me the idea.