Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Suffering pet , what to do?

(58 Posts)
f77ms Tue 06-Dec-16 19:12:14

The problem is it is not my pet which is why I am so torn about what to do . The people next door have been my neighbours for 30 years , we don`t have a very close relationship but are pleasant and make small talk on occasion . They have a dog who they adore and a cat of about 12 who spends most of his time in my house , I have a cat flap for my cats and as many times as I put him out he just comes back. For the last couple of years he has been unwell , lost loads of weight and looks pretty miserable . I have spoken to them a few times about him and I know they did take him to the vet once , they took his teeth out and charged them £500 so they were not best pleased as it didn`t make any difference to his condition . The last few months he just looks dreadful , makes a funny noise when eating and coughs a lot . Obviously it is not contagious to my cats as they would have caught it by now . I just don`t know what to do , would they see him at the vet as he is not my cat? , should I say he is a stray? I know it is pointless speaking to the neighbours yet again as they obviously don`t care about the poor thing but he is plainly suffering . I don`t want to fall out with them as it will be very uncomfortable to live next door but feel I need to do something . Any suggestions which are not to speak to them again about the cat as it is pointless .

Purpledaffodil Mon 12-Dec-16 20:51:40

Poor puss. What a sad ending. At least you were able to give him some love and affection in his last days. flowers to you.

SueDonim Mon 12-Dec-16 20:59:51

I'm sorry. You've done the best and loving thing for him. flowers

Deedaa Mon 12-Dec-16 21:33:53

How sad. One of our cats turned out to have a tumour in her mouth. She's shown no sign of anything wrong until her mouth started bleeding while she was eating. When I took her into the vet he said there was nothing to be done. At least it meant there was no agonising about whether or not to have her put to sleep. So glad you were able to take him and he didn't have to suffer any longer.

Anya Mon 12-Dec-16 22:13:56

Puss is at rest now. Respect for what you did.

Willow500 Tue 13-Dec-16 21:20:25

So sad - it's good you stayed with him at the end. I hope your neighbours don't get any more pets! flowers

MissAdventure Tue 13-Dec-16 23:54:12

Aww, how very sad
At least his last little while was spent with a loving soul. You were very kind indeed.

Shanma Wed 14-Dec-16 00:01:55

Oh, that is very sad, but tsake heart that you gave him comfort in the last days, you totally did the right thing, and staying with him to the end is so kind. Those neighbours of yours , well I could not even print on here what I would like to do them them what they did is downright cruelty angry

flowers for you and Pusscat