Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Boris Johnson - what are the odds

(80 Posts)
Riverwalk Thu 08-Dec-16 17:45:28

..... of his remaining Foreign Secretary for the rest of this parliament?

rosesarered Mon 12-Dec-16 16:39:12

A funny thing happened on the way to the forum! tchgrin

Jalima Mon 12-Dec-16 16:25:11

It is quite relevant though, a good knowledge of the Classics could be very useful in today's political arena - provided one keeps up with present-day changes too!

www.historyextra.com/blog/ancient-greece/what-did-ancient-greeks-do-us
www.bbc.co.uk/history/ancient/greeks/greekdemocracy_01.shtml

I wonder if Trump is aware of that, and the fact that the American system is similar to the Roman one?

AlieOxon Mon 12-Dec-16 14:54:42

This sounds just as relevant to the present day as the Citizenship Test I have just been reading about!

TriciaF Mon 12-Dec-16 14:22:43

He got an upper second in Ancient Literature and Classical Philosophy - that's probably how he got his reputation as brilliant. I think he can also speak Russian (can't we all wink).
Not subjects that help you deal with everyday problems.

Elrel Mon 12-Dec-16 01:31:59

Like I said earlier, a diplomat: one who lies abroad for his country.

Elrel Mon 12-Dec-16 01:30:39

I think with mother unwell and father playing away the Johnson children brought themselves up. They did well academically. Maybe Boris truly doesn't care what he looks like, except for the tousled locks. At least he doesn't treat us to the sight of him in overpriced sweaty leatherwear. I had had enough of him when he came out as a Zionist but his comments about the Saudis shows he has a heart and a conscience.

thatbags Sun 11-Dec-16 08:30:17

Like it, anya, sad though such a comment is on the usefulness of the UN, at least with regard to war-torn areas of the world.

Mind you, let's face it, in line with other primates, we are a warlike species. A few squillion years of evolution might make a difference eventually.

And here's something just to keep the boris section of the thread up to date:
"A source close to May stressed that the foreign secretary’s style would be tolerated by Downing Street but that it would inevitably continue to cause occasional issues.

“People have a lot of time for Boris in Downing Street,” the source said. “There’s no clampdown on Boris Johnson. He is not at risk. He works very hard and we get good feedback from all the people he meets around the world. But I’m sure there will be occasions in the future where things come apart at the seams.”"

Jalima Sat 10-Dec-16 23:15:24

A good term

Anya Sat 10-Dec-16 23:11:36

Paper tigers

Jalima Sat 10-Dec-16 23:07:45

and so what is the point of the United Nations?

The UN Security Council has the primary responsibility for international peace and security.

hmm

POGS Sat 10-Dec-16 19:06:45

The answer is I suppose 'bugger all' thatbags hence the impotency of the United Nations.

The alternatives are equally unpalatable as it involves taking action and that is yet another scenario that does not find agreement.

Who would be a politician. confused

thatbags Sat 10-Dec-16 18:56:15

I'm all for diplomacy that achieves something but what's the point of pussyfooting around over the complete madness of the Middle East and Yemen? What has 'diplomacy' achieved there so far?

POGS Sat 10-Dec-16 18:31:12

I understand there is a reasonable question to be asked re Boris Johnson but I do wonder if the focus for some becomes the age old scenario of 'playing the man not the ball'.

Why? I just find the 'irony' when a person says practically the same thing as another , agrees with their stance, as Boris Johnson has done over Saudi Arabia and yet the person being agreed with carries on insulting them. Very odd.

He will never win because he is a pure Marmite character and for some the dislike of the person is more worthy of talking about than what he may or may not have said. It's a scenario that applies in the mindset that dislikes a certain newspaper, television station and will never accept there is ever a time when good points are made.

I take Boris Johnson with a pinch of salt but how do you get to grips with making a judgement call when he has spoken a truth but has at the same time performed in opposition to his role as Foreign Secretary.

We all at times say we like an honest politician but the truth is can they be truthful in the long game of politics and diplomacy and the requirements those positions place on them? One thing for sure will remain a status quo they will never win.

Ana Sat 10-Dec-16 17:50:42

I bet Theresa May can be quite fierce too! grin

Jalima Sat 10-Dec-16 17:39:47

I don't know, but Boris's mother has PD, started when she was quite young.

Indulgent nannies?
I don't think they are all indulgent
I bet some were quite fierce in those days hmm

durhamjen Sat 10-Dec-16 17:29:52

Was Boris brought up by nannies?
Is that his relationship with May? She treats him like an overindulged child.

Jalima Sat 10-Dec-16 17:13:25

all he will achieve is to accelerate World War III the way he is going ,,,and it ain't gonna be pleasant!
Boris is the least of my worries with Trump and his pals about to be let loose on the world!

Phoebes Sat 10-Dec-16 17:02:15

Intelligent, yes! Tactful and diplomatic, no!

bellsisabelle Sat 10-Dec-16 16:09:08

Which of us would be willing to put the lives of our children and grandchildren at risk by endangering our good relations with and, therefore, our anti-terrorist source of information from, the Gulf States? It's a multi-faceted dilemma and perhaps needs the softly softly approach the government seems to prefer. Who knows?

Maybe a lot of talking is the answer.

Ana Sat 10-Dec-16 16:06:40

As thatbags said earlier, the Times says his meeting with TM wasn't to give him a dressing-down.

A lot of people and the rest of the media have given their own opinions on what happened at that meeting, however...

joannewton46 Sat 10-Dec-16 16:01:59

Sadly by seeking not to alienate possible trading partners, we end up tacitly approving their human rights, environmental etc policies when we should be trying to persuade them to change.

Maybe Boris was saying it how it is, I don't pretend to know the details, but as long as he is criticised by Downing St, he will look like a fool whatever he says and that can't be good for the UK. Either appoint and support or get rid of him.

VIOLETTE Sat 10-Dec-16 15:57:40

Yes, I had the same thought at the Duke of Ed and his mouth ...the difference is Boris Dangermouth is different ...he is supposed to be a DIPLOMAT ....all he will achieve is to accelerate World War III the way he is going ,,,and it ain't gonna be pleasant !

Beammeupscottie Sat 10-Dec-16 15:35:03

He is built like a bag of spanners and we never look well-turned out. Bob Geldoff has the same problem. He seems to run in brightly patterned holiday shorts (so shame making imo)

rosesarered Sat 10-Dec-16 14:54:15

I think that he was speaking the truth, but diplomacy is needed for a Foreign Secretary.The Saudis, and all Arab people are very thin skinned when it comes to 'loss of face' which this amounts to, being said in public.
Another [lesser] gripe is why does he still look so shambolic?
At that meeting, everybody else looked super smart, whilst he was showing a yard of cuffs and also bare skin where his socks and trousers didn't meet.It just puzzles me, as am sure the suit will be Savile Row, so WHY does he look like this?It's one of life's mysteries.

radicalnan Sat 10-Dec-16 14:48:50

Didn't someone once call fellow government officials, 'duplicitous bastards', I think that sums up nicely all they are or hope to be. We are so badly served, there is not one amongst them worthy of any trust at all.

Boris is spot on at times and whn he is he gets castigated for it, we have to make up our minds what it is we really want from them.

Hilary Clinton is Nurse Ratched and when he mentioned the likeness he was ridiculed.........he does have some honesty and charm.......is tact really just dishonesty dressed up?

I don't think he will stay in the foreign office but this government would be the poorer for losing him altogether.