Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Wedding presents for an established couple?

(42 Posts)
Jayanna9040 Fri 06-Jan-17 21:03:04

They've been together a while, They have a house, they have everything they need for the house and garden. No children, so they work hard but have money for holidays, theatre etc. A lot of the guests are not particularly well off so what they would like is something that people could contribute to as their means allow. It's not me by the way but I said that this is the place for good ideas............

Coolgran65 Sat 07-Jan-17 22:52:36

I think vouchers are always a good bet... And can be adjusted to the means of the giver. Even vouchers for good old M & S, B & Q, a local hotel/ restaurant, garden centre.

Yorkshiregel Sun 08-Jan-17 09:41:18

How about this for a different present? I just bought a mattress cover called 'Rejuvopeidic' (google it) and it is so soft and comfortable on these cold nights. I would recommend them to anyone. It is like sleeping on cottonwool.

Angela1961 Sun 08-Jan-17 09:54:35

A voucher for afternoon tea somewhere. It need not be expensive as garden centres often ' do' a lovely afternoon tea.

Neversaydie Sun 08-Jan-17 10:12:52

Re the charities there is a website where you can check what %of funds raised goes directly to the cause .I can't remember what it's called
I have volunteered for Oxfam in the past and all my discarded stuff goes to them as they are ok .Their marketing campaigns are very clever and effective which suggests they have highly creative and possibly well paid marketing staff (based in London/Oxford neither of them cheap places to live )
While I agree to some extent about huge salaries of CEOs it is true that you do tend to have to compete to get the best people.And charities do need the best people . I have encountered charity workers (shop managers in the main) whom I would regard as incompetent compared with staff I used to manage -they were paid on average £10,00 a year less .Fine if you are doing it as a second income /post retirement job (I know one such person who is very good) but your pool of applicants will tend to be smaller. Volunteers may not be properly managed and tend to be disillusioned and leave .Shops dont maximise profits . People who work for charities still have to pay their mortgages etc and cannot necessarily afford to be altruistic about it

Jaycee5 Sun 08-Jan-17 11:04:43

Neversaydie There is one called Charity Watch UK.

Starlady Sun 08-Jan-17 11:30:14

Why not just give them the money and let them do with it as they choose?

Flaxseed Sun 08-Jan-17 12:11:18

I think vouchers for theatre, afternoon tea, restaurant etc are the best idea.
Not quite the same - but my partner bought his sister and bil a voucher for a meal in at a restaurant in one of Londons iconic buildings. They have plenty of money so could have afforded it themselves, but loved it!

woo69 Sun 08-Jan-17 12:59:25

I have bought several gift vouchers for different restaurants for one present, the receivers were able to try different places and found some new regular haunts. The receivers tend to go out for lunch most days so the value of each voucher was £15 to £20 and there was £100 in total.

Sheilasue Sun 08-Jan-17 13:34:46

If they have a nice big garden how about a small tree say a magnolia or something like that.

Bluegayn58 Sun 08-Jan-17 13:42:25

As a garden designer (retired), I would suggest something for the garden, if they have one. Something memorable, like a mature ornamental cherry blossom tree. These can be bought for around £150-£200. That way, you don't have to wait for about 10 years before it's large enough to enjoy and appreciate. If the garden is small, I would recommend the Cheal's Weeping. While the blossoms only last for around 2/3 weeks, their fleeting beauty is a joy to see in the spring.

How about some matching outdoor containers,a rose arch (which can also be used for clematis) or a sun dial?

Good luck!

grandMattie Sun 08-Jan-17 16:32:41

a friend of mine married, for the third time, to a widower. they had two house-worth of stuff so really needed nothing. they were give theatre vouchers, which they loved, a crossing on Eurostar,etc. It was that sort of thing that engaged their imaginations. Good luck!

Skweek1 Sun 08-Jan-17 18:53:14

The thing that really infuriates me is those wretched scams of plastic bags pretending to be going to charities, whereas in fact they are getting free donations which thy sell in Eastern Europe and I suspect none of the money goes to the named charity.

Shelagh6 Sun 08-Jan-17 19:51:34

How about pinning money on them while they are dancing at their reception á la Greek! Help pay for the honeymoon.........

Jayanna9040 Mon 09-Jan-17 13:44:22

Just to say thanks for all the suggestions. It was all very helpful. They have decided to support two teenagers who need help to further their careers (small local charity) and to honeymoon in Florida and have asked for contributions to buy Universal tickets so they can ride Harry Potter again and again!

Witzend Tue 10-Jan-17 17:34:29

Might be in a minority of one here, but if an established couple have enough money, can afford holidays, and most especially have no kids, I don't think they should expect any presents. Merely attending a wedding can often be quite expensive for many people, what with travel, accommodation, often drinks, maybe having to buy an outfit, etc.

A lot of guests had to travel quite a distance to my dd's wedding 18 months ago - she and my SiL had just bought a slightly bigger house, had a small baby, and were by no means flush, but the invitations still said, 'No presents, just presence.'
Ditto for her cousin's wedding the year before at the same venue.
Some people did give something anyway, esp. close family, cash or vouchers, but it was quite clear that nothing was expected.

Jayanna9040 Tue 10-Jan-17 17:52:17

I don't think they really wanted anything but it became apparent that people were going to buy "a little something" anyway and they would have ended up with a whole load of stuff they they didn't need or even particularly like - a printed plaque, a furry cushion, etc. People like to give.......