Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

To old to uproot

(67 Posts)
Flowerofthewest Sat 07-Jan-17 22:02:52

My DH are tentatively considering moving to Norfolk within the next 2 years. My DD is moving and it's very tempting. Had anyone else uprooted at age 69 and 77? How did it go?

absent Tue 10-Jan-17 04:33:40

I think that it is great to start a new stage of your life in a new place, making new friends and leading a different existence s you get older. I moved to New Zealand nearly four years ago when I was 63. I have no regrets – except the really lousy exchange rate since the EU referendum which seriously affects my income. I don't think there is a problem with the exchange rate if you move to Norfolk. smile

grannybuy Tue 10-Jan-17 00:38:36

Yes! Tomorrow we are moving into a new bungalow 50 miles from where we have lived for almost 30 years. Moved there for DH's work. It was fine, but we're going to be back where we came from, and where we still have family and friends. Same age as you. We have been living in a rented flat for some months while we waited for new house to be completed. I've done absolutely all the paperwork, and everything else due to DH's illness. It has been very stressful at times, but I've gritted my teeth, and the day has almost arrived. It feels a little surreal, but Imhave no regrets.

janeayressister Tue 10-Jan-17 00:31:30

Move, you will be fine.
My father died at 96 and I cleared his house out. Last year we spent two months clearing my MILs house. We still have my FIL and Step MILs house facing us. We go from crisis to crisis with them.
Please please clear your own houses out and don't leave it to your children who them selves may not be young.
Our elderly have not planned, they made no provision for their old age and their mantra has been ' I want to die in my house'
Despite the fact that the houses have all been totally unsuitable for the elderly and we have had to spend hours driving to their homes. Then cleaning, stocking them up with wood, gardening, listening to them tell us the same stories endlessly, etc etc. At the same time as having children and grandchildren of our own.
It is so damn selfish and unrealistic.
We ourselves are de cluttering and moving to a small home with a downstairs bedroom, wet room and small garden. Near shops and a hospital.

We are leaving clear instructions for our children and making sure that our paperwork is in order.
Or just ignore the inevitable, bury your head in the sand and leave shedloads of what you though was precious for someone else to clear up. They will put it in a skip.

Theoddbird Mon 09-Jan-17 22:54:21

It is never too late for a new adventure. Go for it and enjoy. Norfolk is lovely by the way with wonderful coastal areas and peaceful vilages.

grannygrace Mon 09-Jan-17 22:51:57

I'd say go for it,my OH and I are moving to Devon later in the year. My youngest DD is buying a large house with an annexe for us and loads of land. It has always been my OH dream to be a country bumpkin and I think we will be very happy.

Daisyboots Mon 09-Jan-17 20:35:21

I moved to West Norfolk in 1985. My parents who were 82 and 73 moved from London to be near us in 1991 and my dear old Dad was a first time buyer with a mortgage at that age. My DH (59) and I (65) moved to live in Portugal nearly 9 years ago. So you are never too old to move. My Mum then aged 91 moved with us and lived until she was almost 98. One thing I would say about moving to Norfolk is to choose one of the small towns because the villages do not have good transport services and it is a trek to get to the doctors or even a supermarket.

Marianne1953 Mon 09-Jan-17 19:55:10

Yes I'm retiring in June and hope to move back to Scotland in the July. I can't wait.
I'm not Scottish, but previously lived there for a number years.

Purpledaffodil Mon 09-Jan-17 19:37:07

jeapurs54. Have you investigated remortgaging? I gather they have to be repaid now by age 75. If you are not yet retired, you have many years ahead to reduce it, if not pay it off altogether . Good luck with your decision.

jeapurs54 Mon 09-Jan-17 19:00:44

We will be making that hard decision, we have to sell up and downsize as not able to afford the rest of the mortgage that is due, at our age we cannot re-mortgage. Now the decision is where to go which is a nice place for retirement which hits us in 3 years or so. I love Norfolk/Suffolk but Daughter lives in Durham and would love us to move up North nearer to her and grandchildren. It is something I really don't know what to do yet, Son lives quite local with a new grandson born in December but decision has to be where we want to go, and at the right cost. Such hard decision.

Buddly Mon 09-Jan-17 17:31:04

A change is as good as a rest !!wink or so they say.

bluekarma Mon 09-Jan-17 17:01:22

I moved from London to West Sussex last year. Now live near the sea and I love it hear. I knew one person when I moved here and now I have so many women I can really call friends. I joined The local meetup and don't know what I would have done without. I'm 68. Do it x

Luckylegs9 Mon 09-Jan-17 15:36:45

How lovely you have this chance of a new start, to be near to a daughter who wants you close. You will manage, probably best done now whilst you still have the energy.

SparklyGrandma Mon 09-Jan-17 15:33:46

Flowerofthewest A big consideration in Norfolk is access to public transport - now and if you have to stop driving - a lot of villages have no bus service whatsoever which can be limiting to independence. And some areas aren't near train lines either.

I think its best to move whilst you have the energy. Good luck!

Flowerofthewest Mon 09-Jan-17 14:45:31

We have always lived North Norfolk. We have considered moving there many times. This is just another in sentiment. We are keen birders and wildlife enthusiasts. My stepson and his wife to be also live that way and a cousin and wife. I know we would settle there even if DD moved again.

I've taken on board all points. Thanks for help.

Diddy1 Mon 09-Jan-17 14:40:39

We moved three years ago, I was 72 and hubby 65, we moved ten miles from where we lived before, and I hate it, yes, I feel so isolated, dont see a soul all day, and when people come home, even in the summer, they never speak, ok Swedes arent known for their social skills, but nobody has bothered with us, I have said before, at a certain age we are too old to move, nobody wants to associate with their neighbours who are like their parents, in age. I loved whre we used to live, knew everybody, as we had lived there for over forty years, we are a bit too far away for old neighbours to visit, occasionally I take my car and drive back, knowing I will always meet someone I know, I would move back tomorrow given the chance, so please think of eveything before you make the move.

cornergran Mon 09-Jan-17 14:38:45

flower, just a thought about the sentimental things that just don't have a place after a move, take photos, make a photo book or use an album for prints and describe the object and it's meaning, you still have it with you and the description fascinates the younger ones.

VIOLETTE Mon 09-Jan-17 14:36:01

Go for it ! but make sure you research in depth first ...I,e, is the local doctor taking any more new patients ? (hopefully you will not need medical attention, but forewarned is fore armed !)....I moved around 12 times in the UK...to areas where I never knew anyone but so what ? I soon found a job and made friends,and my daughter settled into a new school with no problems .....stayed in Nottd for 10 years until she went to Uni and moved out anyway ....so then I moved to Menorca ...only knew one person (my husband to be)....after a while he wanted to move so off we went to France (he was then over 70 and I was nearly 60)....then after four years of renovating the new house he decided to move again ...so off we went further south ...he is now 84 and looking to moving again ...trouble is like some of you here, he is refusing to get rid of anything, which makes a move to a smaller place impossible ! and anyway, the market where we live in fairly rural France is dead and our house would not sell for a price whereby we could afford to move (having just had it valued ...only to find it would be worth 60,000 less than the price we paid for the land and the building ...let alone what we spent on it ...so we stay here till it falls down !

Norfolk ...ah yes ! beautiful ...lived in Ipswich, but used to spend every weekend in Norwich with a friend and her aunty ...we would go to Samson and Hercules (the lady from Norfolk may know it !) ...then Yarmouth to get a tan before going back to Ipswich on the late bus on Sunday night !)...remember the lovely market in Norwich and that wonderful accent ! Still have many friends I was at school with since the age of 5 and we are all still in touch ..the wonders of e mail !

Go spend some time in the place you have in mind to move to, and see what it is like !

Good luck !

Maidmarion Mon 09-Jan-17 14:19:54

I've moved four times in the last couple of years.....!!!! I'm 68. Because I get 'itchy feet' now and again I'm used to moving, so it's less stressful for me than it might be for anyone who's 'not used to it'!! But, as others have said - it's quite exciting to go for 'pastures new' and as I read the other day 'In the end, we only regret the chances we didn't take.' Good luck!

TriciaF Mon 09-Jan-17 14:19:49

MinniesMum - I might try that but I'm not a very good actress. and he never wants to leave this place, says they'll have to carry him out in a wooden box.

Legs55 Mon 09-Jan-17 13:56:58

I have moved twice in just over 3 years, DH & I downsized from large 4 bedroom house with large garden when I was 56 & DH 69. We moved from Middlesex (Surrey) to Somerset, quick move in just under 8 weeks, luckily we found a Park Home which we loved. Major downsize, give away or as last resort tip. DH had lived in same area for over 40 years, I had been there nearly 22 years. Move took us further away from DH's DD but nearer to my DD, DH's S didn't come into the equation as he had moved with his family to Northants, we rarely saw them when they lived 2 miles from us.hmm

Sadly 15 months after we moved I lost DH to Terminal Cancer, we'd made many lovely friends & loved the area.sad

I waited for a year after his admission to Hospital (he went to a Nursing Home from Hospital) before putting my home on the market, after another year I got a Cash Buyer who wanted to move in 3 weeks - I arranged a Removal firm (who packed all my ornaments, china & glass) & a Storage Unit near DD. I hadn't bought anywhere so spent 2 weeks with DD & her Family, then rented a Holiday Flat (out of season). I did find my new home 2 days after I left Somerset but had to wait 6 weeks to move in, so now I've been in Devon for 2 years, 10 miles from my DD, her OH & DGS, new DGC expected in May.

I love where I am now - new area, new friends, bus service, shops one within walking distance, Doctor's Surgery & convenient for major Townssmile

I suppose there's "a bit of the gypsy" in me as I've moved several times in my life & found a home I love in each move.

I would say go for it, don't worry about the "clutter", I moved lots in my last move but got rid of it all over time, if in doubt take itgrin. Just ensure that you have access to a bus service, shops & most importantly Doctor. If you're near family it will be good for their "peace of mind" as you get older.flowers

Crazygrandma2 Mon 09-Jan-17 13:19:41

We moved aged 61 and 63 so that we could be hands on grandparents - I hasten to add DD and SIL were delighted. Best thing we ever did, as it gave us a new lease on life.

Getting rid of 40 years of stuff/ cr*p was truly liberating. We gave a lot of stuff away using Freecycle.

I wish you luck x

marmar01 Mon 09-Jan-17 12:46:14

my mum and Dad moved from a big Scottish city to a small English town, Dad did not want to, but now he said its the best think he ever did and wishes he had done it a long time ago.Mum had wanted to move for years,They were both 70, on the plus side Mum got rid of all the Cr.p he had been keeping smile

Ana Mon 09-Jan-17 12:34:48

One couple said their chain had broken somewhere down the line, and the other eventually pulled out when the local search revealed that the common land beyond my back garden floods regularly.

Well of course it does, a tributary from the river runs through it! confused

Am going to refuse to have a 'Sale Agreed' sign put on the board in future until contracts are well and truly signed...

petra Mon 09-Jan-17 12:29:18

I moved twice after I was 60 and one of those was from another country.
Ana has there been any feed back as to why they've changed their minds.

Mary3249 Mon 09-Jan-17 12:23:27

Hi Flowerofthewest,
You are never too old to follow your heart. I am planning my move to America later this year after waiting 14 years for the necessary visa (I will be 73 in March). My brother and his wife live there and I shall go to them initially until I find somewhere by myself. I visit them at least once a year and have done since 1993 - always travel by myself.

I am gradually getting rid of 'stuff' having taken loads to charity shops and as my DD is moving very soon she will take most of my furniture with her.

Even making arrangements to take my beloved dog with me.

Good luck with your move - I hope all goes well for you both.